Englishtown Raceway Park Shuts Down 1/4 and 1/8th Mile Racing

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Just another reason I feel less attached to this state. Apparently they're shutting down 1/4 and 1/8th mile racing so they can become a storage lot for Copart. I'm sure constant pressure over the years from people building houses near the track then complaining they live near a track wasn't helping the case either.

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320...new-jersey-will-cease-drag-racing-operations/

Bangshift.com said:
BangShift.com has learned that Raceway Park will cease racing operations in 2018. This is unhappy news to say the least. At this point our understanding is that there will not be a 2018 drag racing season at Raceway Park and an announcement regarding the track’s future, or lack thereof is forthcoming. In conversations with various parties close to the track’s operation we have learned that the Napp family who owns the facility has effectively leased some or all of the property to a company who plans to use it as some sort of vehicle storage area. We have not spoken directly to track ownership or management at this point but are confident with the information that we have gathered from those we have spoken to. We cannot speak to the other facets of the track (i.e. the motocross course, etc) but we can speak with a level of confidence that drag racing is over at one of the nation’s most well known and longest running facilities.

Raceway Park opened in July of 1965 and became part of the NHRA National event landscape in 1971 as it was that year the track hosted the famed Summernationals for the first time. NHRA moved it from York, PA to the NJ track. The facility has loomed large over the sport of drag racing for decades, at times holding the record many believe to be the most prestigious in the sport, that of the top fuel category. Outside of NHRA racing, the track’s most famed operator Vinny Napp was a great innovator in the realm of match racing, staging mid-week night shows that packed them in and brought some of the craziest and most hardcore drag racing entertainment on Earth to the fans. Later iterations brought the monster trucks and whatever else would bring folks through the gate. The track has also hosted one of the biggest and baddest diesel drag racing events in the world with what US Truckin’ Nationals. Last year’s running of that event was purported to be the largest single event in the history of the track regardless of type.

Raceway Park’s legacy in the sport is secured in an interesting way. Junior dragsters. Vincent Napp built one for his son David famously out of electrical conduit and old street signs. David was not a guy who was interested in stick and ball sports but loved drag racing. Jill Caliendo and David Napp raced in front of a packed house at the 1992 Summernationals and a type of drag racing that has gone on to create multiple professional and sportsman world champions was born. Today, thousands of kids across the country compete in junior dragsters that are more advanced copies of what Napp and Calends raced in 1992.

The track was also one of the great supporters of the burgeoning pro modified movement in the late 1980s and served as the place for some of the most jaw dropping runs in those early years. Mike Ashley famously clocked the fastest speed ever for a door slammer at 211mph with some of the pass being made through the grass that bordered the track at the time. The track also hosted the famed “Shakedown” (which now happens at Norwalk, Ohio) which became one of the great “outlaw” style door slammer races in the country.

We could go on and one about the place’s impact in the Import drag racing scene that blew wide open in the early 1990s and a million other things but the sad fact is that we wish this was not happening. We can understand the family’s decision to use the property as they see fit but wow is this a punch to the gut.

This is a hard thing to write and we know it is a hard thing for you to read but it is real. Mark our words.

http://www.etownraceway.com/mydocuments/nappfamilyrestructure.pdf

Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, the Napp family owned and operated business announced today a reorganization of the company’s business operations. To achieve this goal, Raceway Park will no longer conduct quarter mile or eighth mile drag racing events effective immediately. Raceway Park will retain and use the “stadium” portion of the facility including the VIP hospitality tower and grandstands and continue most of its operations including the spring and fall auto swap meets, numerous car shows, both motocross racing and practice, kart racing, as well as drifting, a full schedule of road course activities, mud runs, monster truck shows, musical concerts, & festival events and more. The long standing Old Bridge Township Airport, owned and operated by Raceway Park will also continue to operate as normal. The new reorganization reflects the company’s plan moving forward beginning in 2018 while allowing Raceway Park to still continue to operate as it has in the past with the exception of drag racing. The Napp family wishes to express their most sincere gratitude to the NHRA, and the many thousands of racers and fans, without whom would have never allowed Raceway Park to become the iconic and nationally recognized drag racing facility it has over the past five decades. The Napp family would also like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the employees that have served our drag racing customers so well over the previous years. It is with a great sadness that the Napp family is discontinuing drag racing, however the family looks forward to continuing to provide the best outdoor events in this new era of Raceway Park.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
They've been trying to shut Old Bridge down as long as I can remember. They started building closer and closer to the track and all the yuppie scum complained. Luckily for me Atco and Maple Grove are just as close and Island is closer. Though I never been to Island.

That sucks. It’s a long drive to Cecil County
Atco is right down the road.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I see this in the future for my local track, Bamdimere speedway. People build houses near a track and complain of noise. Really?

96gt02

Established Member
I will never spend a dime at Etown ever again and hope they shut down completely

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
brilliant...so 18 wheelers trucking in and out of there on the daily by the peoples houses is way better than the occasional event ...

fitforspeed

Established Member
I feel your pain. My closest 1/8 mike track recently got bought by Amazon. Guess it will be dozed and made into a new warehouse. Closest track now is over an hour away. I miss the days when I lived 10 min away from Shadyside.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
such a shame. I raced there before on a test and tune day. Was hoping to take my kids cause I live on long island and its farther to other tracks. I just love how the one thing i enjoy everyone wants to shut down. Why cant people protest a golf course or something. The chemicals they use to keep the grass green is bad for the environment as well.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Atco is an hour 45 from me now, I've never been there but I drove past it when I was on an off roading trip down in wharton state park.

Looks like Island is only a half hour form me now which is surprising, never been to island before. I know it closed and re-opened. I'll have to check it out in the spring.

DSC_2489-XL.jpg

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The end of an era! E-Town has been good to Fordspeed, a victory and $10K at the 2012 Shakedown in Outlaw 10.5. (YES that's Tim Lynch's old black Stang in the semi's)

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I see this in the future for my local track, Bamdimere speedway. People build houses near a track and complain of noise. Really?
Idiots have been wanting to shutdown Bandimere for the longest time. What's funny is they also threw a fit when a motorsports park was proposed outside of town.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
When these citizens complain and get tracks closed then I have zero feels for the street racing issue they create.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread