Dyno #'s CAI, TB, Headers (Before/After)

twistedneck

Established Member
not to hi-jack the thread but here is my experience:
Note - same dyno, DIFFERENT DAYS, but all with 5 smoothing and SAE

Run 1 is stock - 2012 GT m6
run 3 is intake and tune
run 9 in intake and tune + ARH long tubes (WITH CATS) + magnaflow street exhaust + retune for the headers

I since switched tuners (Run 4 not attached), but made 424.5 & 401.4 (same settings, smoothing 5 and SAE) - those gains were pretty much across the board not just at peak

on top of the sound - the headers and exhaust & retune picked up 18hp /20tq across the board. Obviously the exhaust helped and there is probably a bit more in it if I ditched the cats, but the gains were everywhere not just above 5k / peak. by the way these are 1 7/8 headers on a NA car - so no torque loss (maybe the cats actually help add backpressure vs. an off-road in this particular case?)

While I like the headers and got a good deal on them - if you plan on going FI down the road (but not all out), the money for headers + install is better spent on the blower - you'll get a whole lot more than 18 hp across the board!

View attachment 23694

Good torque and power, i'm only saying there would be much more lower and midrange torque if you had stepped headers or smaller primary tubes. I would not run 1-5/8" myself -but 1-7/8" are also too huge IMO. but, some are running 2.0" now. looks super cool .

maneuen

Established Member
"so local dyno tune and AED got you more power remote tuning?"

it appears so, the local tuner tuned with a tail pipe A/F sniffer. But the logs I sent to shaun showed that I was pulling timing on 93 and running a little lean. Per shaun: he was able to run more timing on his California 91 octane than I was getting on my 93. So that lead me to try a few stations, run a tank of VP 101 (to make sure it was a fuel issue and not "false knock" from the headers possibly tapping something at WOT or other noise at WOT). Bottom line is that after switching from Shell to Valero we weren't having the knock sensors pull timing and thus finalized the tune and went back to the dyno for comparison.

So I can't say that the local tune wouldn't have done the same if the gas was good and the computer wasn't pulling 2-3 degrees of timing. HOWEVER, I can certainly say that the local place didn't look at full logs to even know what was going on (they just loaded their base tune, measured the A/F, and then adjusted timing on the dyno....didn't look at anything else). So in that sense, because Shaun did the extra work and looked at more than just A/F - Yes Shaun's tune made more than the local dyno tune.

My OPINION is that unless you are local to one of the major tuners here on the forum or an known shop, the local shop simply hasn't done nearly as many coyote's as they have. I'm in Houston - there are tons of people and tons of shops to choose from, but lets say one shop has done 50-100? what have lund (not comparing, just naming another major tuner) and AED done, a thousand or more? TSS (Triangle speed shop) is a great place outside of Houston, and even shaun said that if he had to take his car somewhere - they would be one of the few in the country he'd trust. But I'm in far north Houston, they are in about 1 hour south east of Houston - so its a 2 hour drive. It was just better for me to have Shaun do it.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
It's good to see someone make honest posts about what mods did to the power. I've been out of the scene since 09, but my LSX cars definitely didn't need 1 7/8" headers. I was wondering why folks would put that header on a 302 CI engine (possibly being DOHC making up for smaller cubes?). Just adding lt's and updating my tune on my 99 Z28 and Trans Am picked up 25+ rwhp. Absolutely loved how the engine revved down between gear changes too. I don't think I had cats then, would never go without cats again as I was sick of smelling like fuel.
A little over a year ago, a friend's 11 or 12 GT with Boss intake, GT500 catback, SCT Bama tune, and CAI put down 42X. A different dyno might have shown much lower numbers, who knows. I'm more interested in how it feels on the street and what gains I see at the track.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
** MUST READ**
Turns out my last dyno run....the "After headers" run was pointless cause I had an EXHAUST LEAK and might have skewed the numbers.

The headers bolted up to the engine great, but the mid pipe would not seal properly to the headers. After trying to re-adjust it I got it to seal now my "H" part of the mid pipe is off by about 2" and will NOT fit together without causing flex at the seal before the cats.

NIGHTMARE.....so I guess I will have to take it to a custom exhaust shop to have them see what they can do to fix the issue!?

Here is a pic of how "OFF" the h-pipe is form fitting together....and since it is a one-piece (per side) mid pipe it is a b!tch to adjust:

CYMERA_20140904_143701_zpss29ebzap.jpg

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
** MUST READ**
Turns out my last dyno run....the "After headers" run was pointless cause I had an EXHAUST LEAK and might have skewed the numbers.

The headers bolted up to the engine great, but the mid pipe would not seal properly to the headers. After trying to re-adjust it I got it to seal now my "H" part of the mid pipe is off by about 2" and will NOT fit together without causing flex at the seal before the cats.

NIGHTMARE.....so I guess I will have to take it to a custom exhaust shop to have them see what they can do to fix the issue!?

Here is a pic of how "OFF" the h-pipe is form fitting together....and since it is a one-piece (per side) mid pipe it is a b!tch to adjust:

CYMERA_20140904_143701_zpss29ebzap.jpg

wtf..... That's bizarre?!

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Got it fixed today...cut the H-pipe and welded in an insert. (to my disappointment but it had to be done)
In tight with no leaks and car feels strong and sounds great!

Fewww, what a nightmare this was. Glad its done!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I ended up welding my MRT after-cat H-pipe at the crossover as well. It would never seal at all, and welding it was the only option. Which, IMO, is kind of shitty considering the cost and the quality of the pipe else wise.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Ah the joys of modifying our toys! Glad you got it fixed, but hate hearing you had to alter it that much.

Jinx.

Stig's Lazy Cousin
Established Member
Ive always welded the cross section to an H-pipe. Just seems like a standard thing to do because I've never seen a two piece H perfect and thats where it leaks.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Finally got a chance to merge/overlay the two dyno graphs...
Before/After the TB, CAI, Header install...Running the same tune on both runs.
Really need a dyno tune to get the most outta this setup!

Before-AfterHeadersCAITB_zps71461f57.jpg

Last edited:

ExTurbo

Established Member
Not to hijack, lots of people saying 1 7/8 headers don't pick up power or might loose low end tq. This thread was one I made when I had my 1 7/8ths installed. Headers and offroad x pipe were installed and was put back on the dyno within 24 hours (about as back to back as you can get) the dyno graph shows a huge jump in power across the board, not to mention the tq difference at 3000rpm

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...n-racing-1-7-8-headers&highlight=headers+dyno

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Well I'm gettin back to the U.S. in 32 days and will be removing the Venturi tube & getting a reTune.
After which I will get another dyno and post it!
I will keep you guys updated....

Users who are viewing this thread