Dyno Numbers

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Finally got the car to where I want it. Combo is stock short block, stock heads with Comp Cams XE-R 106460's, Comp springs, ARP 2000 head studs, Whipple 3.0, 2lb lower / 3.25 upper, full Stainless Works 3" exaust with long tubes & catless X, dual Walbro 465 high pressure pumps, Lethal return fuel system, FIC1650's, 58psi base pressure, MS3 Pro with dual 17 point 7 Spartan 3 widebands, E85.

Paid a tuner to get drivability dialed in on the street, then took it the dyno for final WOT fuel and timing adjustments done by me. I have to say the drivability, startup, idle is fantastic, the car is such a joy to drive on the street. The MS3 Pro is very impressive, and once you get the hang of it you can really dial it in perfect.

The dyno used is a Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer, it's a load bearing similar to a Mustang dyno. Car was flawless on the dyno and at 24 / 25 lbs of boost the car made 933 rwhp and 788 rwtq. This was on 19 degrees of timing and a pretty fat AF ratio of around .73-.76 lambda. Gen 5 Whipple is such a beast.

f2eb393e7f5eb2d9ec6337f6212bf332.jpg

071998b688877dc0fd0516726c8c0eeb.jpg

Last edited:

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Nice. Great setup.

I’ve been looking at the MS3 but not confident I can do it yet.

I previously had a good grasp on tuning with SCT and the stock ecu, but was not looking forward to learning all over again over the course of months, so I paid a tuner to remote tune. What's great about this is the tuner can remote into your laptop and tune while your driving around, also it really accelerated my learning curve.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Gen 5 is badass. Not going to insult anyone's lively hood many have done great thing with it. But... imho stock. ECC is a choke point. Wish I didn't have to pass inspection based on ECU data every year.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Gen 5 is badass. Not going to insult anyone's lively hood many have done great thing with it. But... imho stock. ECC is a choke point. Wish I didn't have to pass inspection based on ECU data every year.

Yeah, after reading about aftermarket ecu's for a couple years I knew it was time to make the switch. Couple things that really help is, playing with coil dwell time allows me to run a larger plug gap without spark blowout, running dual widebands made me realize I had a injector not firing on the passenger bank, being able to perfect AF, and being able to Rev past 7k reliably. Luckily I have collectors plates and no emissions required.

Last edited:

SGT MERC

Established Member
I've been running dual widebands for over 10 yrs now and it has saved so much time and effort in trouble shooting.
Yeah, after reading about aftermarket ecu's for a couple years I knew it was time to make the switch. Couple things that really help is, playing with coil dwell time allows me to run a larger plug gap without spark blowout, running dual widebands made me realize I had a injector not firing on the passenger bank, and being to perfect AF, and being able to Rev past 7k reliably. Luckily I have collectors plates and no emissions required.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I’m guessing the main reason to run MS3 is it uses the stock harness and cluster? I’ve had holley in the past and was always set on going to that eventually. I may need to rethink it with the cobra.

Awesome numbers by the way! Looks like it pulls like a fright train up top. Well done sir.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I’m guessing the main reason to run MS3 is it uses the stock harness and cluster? I’ve had holley in the past and was always set on going to that eventually. I may need to rethink it with the cobra.

Correct. My stock cluster all works, and wiring was easy. There was a couple small tweaks I had to do but driving the car, looking at the cluster ect, you can't tell at all you are running a aftermarket ecu.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Correct. My stock cluster all works, and wiring was easy. There was a couple small tweaks I had to do but driving the car, looking at the cluster ect, you can't tell at all you are running a aftermarket ecu.
Probably the route I’ll go eventually. I’m no where near needing it but the more our govt gets involved in our everyday lives, the sooner these won’t be available. Should probably think about getting one sooner than later for a rainy day

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Outstanding numbers, wow! Great to hear about the ECU too... great to have options like this for the Terminator guys

MG0h3

Established Member
I’ll have to look into the collector plates but I still think I have to do the annual state inspection here.

No emissions testing but they plug into the OBDII port to scan for codes and check readiness monitors.

Would swapping a factory ecu back in once a year be an option or would that be too much of a hassle?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I’ll have to look into the collector plates but I still think I have to do the annual state inspection here.

No emissions testing but they plug into the OBDII port to scan for codes and check readiness monitors.

Would swapping a factory ecu back in once a year be an option or would that be too much of a hassle?

It shouldn't be much of a hassle. Changed out my cam sensor and speed sensor to hall effect for more reliable operation but that's the only wiring I did. You can leave all factory emissions in place.

01yellercobra

Established Member

Awesome numbers by the way! Looks like it pulls like a fright train up top. Well done sir.
The main reason I went with the MS3 was to keep the stock gauges. I didn't want to lose them. I've been learning about the Holley lately and one of the things I don't like is not being able to use the MAF. I still have the MAF since I do a lot of long distance drives.

I got it down to about an hour to swap ECU's. That included getting under it to swap back to the narrow band sensors. My original plan was to pass smog when needed. Then I stopped caring and got around it.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Finally got the car to where I want it. Combo is stock short block, stock heads with Comp Cams XE-R 106460's, Comp springs, ARP 2000 head studs, Whipple 3.0, 2lb lower / 3.25 upper, full Stainless Works 3" exaust with long tubes & catless X, dual Walbro 465 high pressure pumps, Lethal return fuel system, FIC1650's, 58psi base pressure, MS3 Pro with dual 17 point 7 Spartan 3 widebands, E85.

Paid a tuner to get drivability dialed in on the street, then took it the dyno for final WOT fuel and timing adjustments done by me. I have to say the drivability, startup, idle is fantastic, the car is such a joy to drive on the street. The MS3 Pro is very impressive, and once you get the hang of it you can really dial it in perfect.

The dyno used is a Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer, it's a load bearing similar to a Mustang dyno. Car was flawless on the dyno and at 24 / 25 lbs of boost the car made 933 rwhp and 788 rwtq. This was on 19 degrees of timing and a pretty fat AF ratio of around .73-.76 lambda. Gen 5 Whipple is such a beast.

f2eb393e7f5eb2d9ec6337f6212bf332.jpg

071998b688877dc0fd0516726c8c0eeb.jpg
Congrats that's badass. Lol we've had very similar journeys with our 3.4 and now this. Malcolm is getting very close to having mine going it seems like a monster compared to the 3.4. I actually have the same upper as you in the Griptec and a 6# lower. I can't wait to see the 60-130, 1/8 and 1/4 times she's gonna put out. Did you end up going with the 150MM throttle body or the 132MM?

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Congrats that's badass. Lol we've had very similar journeys with our 3.4 and now this. Malcolm is getting very close to having mine going it seems like a monster compared to the 3.4. I actually have the same upper as you in the Griptec and a 6# lower. I can't wait to see the 60-130, 1/8 and 1/4 times she's gonna put out. Did you end up going with the 150MM throttle body or the 132MM?

Yes similar journeys! I have the 132. If I see a 150 TB hit the market maybe I'll pick it up to play around with it. I hear people can't get the car to idle with the 150 so it might be fun to try and conquer that beast. Also I saw a post on Facebook earlier that a switch from the stock ecu to aftermarket moved the power band way up too. Very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread