Dumb Stuff Previous Owners Done to your Cobra

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I was a poor 33 year old. Still have the old POS. lol

Don't ever sell it! This is the coolest car to ever hit the streets. All the crap I've found wrong and corrected with my car makes me appreciate the 03 04 Cobra even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I am the second owner of my coupe, I bought it off my buddy who bought it new. He took excellent care of it, and I knew the car pretty well. Even so, there were a couple of things I needed to correct, such as his muffler guy who tack-welded the Borla Stinger catback smh (still have problems with it), an aftermarket alarm the dealer said they had to put on in order for him to get msrp on the car, and some sort of clear bumper/side skirt protection film.

I do believe it is always best to buy a vehicle new, ordered to your specifications. There are too many things that are usually altered when you buy used. You just have to be lucky with the timing as far as vehicle desirability and how much you can afford.

For example, if I could, I would go back to 1969 and order a brand-new Dodge Super Bee with the A12 option, and then keep it forever. Yet, strangely enough, I would not want to buy a used one now.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Stock alt that failed 1,000 miles after I bought it (107k miles), stock clutch at 107k, had the stock rotors on it and one finally cracked at 120k, had a hole cut behind the license plate and a square cut out of it (fuel cut off switch maybe), oddly pulled the rotor pack out of the blower out of curiousity and it appears the stock blower wasn't on the car for very long since the rotors were brand new, the camber adjustments were so out of alignment the car looked like it was set up for NASCAR, mix matched exhaust.

Lots of what could be considered minor things but all will be fixed in time just don't have 50k sitting around to do everything I want to the car. It will come on time.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hmmmm....My 01 was a lease return when I bought it. Going through the glove box I found that the tires were installed at 49k. I bought it with 51k and the rear tires were about bald. And the rear brakes only lasted a couple thousand miles after I bought it. Brake stand anyone?

As for my 04, first thing I found was they put 55w HIDs in the fog lights. Killed the headlight output. Swapped those out for normal bulbs. One front strut was factory and the other was stock. Someone used the pinch welds as a lifting point. Almost got them flat too. A couple bolts holding the trans to the bellhousing were loose. They installed an RXT with the stock pivot ball. I still need to fix that. Along with that they only filled the trans with about one quart of fluid. Unfortunately I didn't find out until 3rd gear started whining.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

TooFast98Cobra

#1 Vent Shade Installer
Established Member
One of my previous owners decided to buy all of the bling bling interior pieces. Ive taken most out and replaced back to stock .

SNISTR1

Established Member
I found the PO replaced my driver side rear rotor with a GT rotor. Also they never hooked up the ebrake on driverside as the PITA spring on the caliper was MIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GodStang

Established Member
luckily I am second owner since 2005. Only thing I got is maybe high speed runs with nitrous bad tune and timing tensionors broke causing the complete driver side pistons to melt. The story was very vague years ago. Pulled the motor so it is all good.

Seeing the videos on the interwebs of how bad people rag out 03-04 Cobras is just insane so it does not surprise me what you guys see.

cj428mach

Established Member
I bought my car from the original owner and was pretty stock. The only thing he really "hacked up" was the vacuum harness as he had deleted EGR and the vacuum harness would fall apart if you touched it wrong. I swapped it out with a good vacuum harness and reinstalled EGR.

The other stupid thing he did was throw away all the original parts he took off like the EGR, Factory Air box, the original jack parts (he kept a bottle neck jack in the trunk.) So I kept all this stuff from my SB cobra for this car.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Pretty cool thread.

I'm the second owner of my coupe. I bought it in 2007 and it was 100% original. So, anything done to it that people think are dumb, "I" did it LMAO!!!

Now my Vert is a different story. I'm the third owner. I purchased the car in 2016 with 75K miles on it. Original owner lived in San Diego and second owner lived in Phoenix. I was given a book of receipts when I bought it and it seemed the original owner attempted to take good care of it. Not sure what the second owner did. Second owner claimed he only had the car 8 months, but here is the list (most of this is minor, but it bothered me):

Brake fluid looked like it was never changed.

Brake calipers and rotors were in bad shape visually (Calipers needed to be cleaned and rotors/pads needed to be replaced).

There was a horrible rattling coming from under the car. Turned out to be the clutch cable cover was not seated properly.

Hood had rock chips in it so bad it looked like it was driven behind a gravel truck (I painted it myself and got it back up to standard).

Hood liner looked like crap and was stained horribly (I replaced it).

All the bearings in the idler pulley's were shot and needed to be changed.

Both inner and outer belts needed to be changed.

Radiator fluid needed to be changed.

Seats had some "pile" up on them and needed to be sanded to remove it.

Interior switches had all the information rubbed off.

Spare tire was "missing."

Cold air intake filter was mounted upside down (i.e. the silver seam was facing up where you could see it instead of facing down).

Car has Black "Bullitt" style wheels mounted on it. (This actually looks decent to me, so no plans to replace at this point, but i know Cobra purist don't like them).

I think that's about it LOL. Yes, I know I'm anal about the small S#!T compared to some of the problems others have had to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread