Dumb Stuff Previous Owners Done to your Cobra

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
So, I wanted to see if I could be topped as to all the dumb stuff that has been done by a previous owner!

First off, I am the 5 or 6th owner, I can't remember. But here is the dumb stuff I have corrected so far.

1. The intercooler pump was plumbed up backwards. The pump was plumbed so the inlet was plumbed to the intercooler.

2. Aeromotive Fuel Pump Driver tach signal was tapped to one of the common leads to an ignition coil.

3. 16 gauge wire jammed under the fuel hat of a pre 99 mustang fuel tank with one of the worst plumbing jobs ive ever seen on a fuel system. The pumps were were wired together with 16 gauge wire in the tank with wire nuts also.

4. The fuel pump bracket was hacked with a sawsall by the looks of it to get the ghetto rigged fuel pumps on the car.

5. Removed the Cobra fuel tank and installed a 99 and earlier fuel tank!

6. Installed the Aeromotive fuel filter backwards.

7. Left the shifter dust boot off when installing the MGW shifter

8. Left two bolts out on the bellhousing.

9. Hacked up the injector wiring harness for low impedance injectors and taped all connections. Didn't even mount the injector drivers.

10. Took the heat exchanger bracket and modified it to fit some janky heat exchanger and then drilled holes thru the bumper to gets bolts into the destroyed bracket.

That's all I can think of for now. This car has been a project and a half. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
One of previous owner appears to have backed over a pole or something, as they dented the fuel tank right where the sender sits, and put a new cover over the tank....so nobody would be the wiser

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hopefully you'll find and correct any other mishaps and in the end be very pleased with your your efforts. Many others might have given up by now. Keep pushing forward with your Cobra. ;)

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Hopefully you'll find and correct any other mishaps and in the end be very pleased with your your efforts. Many others might have given up by now. Keep pushing forward with your Cobra. ;)

Thanks CobraBob! You learn a lot with a car like mine. It has been a lot of work. It goes on the dyno tomorrow after a complete engine rebuild with stage 2 comp cams installed.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_0118.jpg
Previous owner put on one of those stupid ricer fuel filler doors and swapped the stock wheels for Cobra R's. I know that's lame compared to some but I was pretty traumatized. I rectified the situation with the quickness though.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Ricer fuel doors on a Cobra would traumatize me too. Lol

Last edited:

speedoflife

Established Member
PO installed new Cobra fender emblems. Backwards.

Swapped the stock aluminum flywheel for a steel one.

Left out some important parts when reinstalling transmission: engine plate/bellhousing spacer and the inspection cover.

Left it in the sun a lot. Grr.

Installed new DC heads (sweet) but lost the signed SVT engine badge :(

I got a handheld shortly after I got the car and found that it had been running MAF counts over 1000 and FPDC at .98 for years (since it had been tuned by a PO).

Oh and ran the car hard with low oil at some point in time. They then replaced the engine oil with maple syrup (this is a hyperbole obviously but the oil was WAY too thick, preventing me from hearing a bottom end knock).

I had to rebuild my engine shorty after I got it as well but it's coming together nowadays. It'll never be perfect but I've learned a lot and I know every square inch of my car. Stick with it brother!

zredfire04

Established Member
lemme see...

never adjusted the firewall adjuster, so nerfed the 3-4 shift keys and ended up getting the trans stuck in 4th so traded it in. i got it out of 4th within 300' of the dealership and have been driving it ever since. needs a tranny though. i'm almost done rebuilding one for it.

hit something low on the front bumper and busted both fog lights and lost a fog light bezel. rather than fix it, just left it for the next guy (me).

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
PO installed new Cobra fender emblems. Backwards.

Swapped the stock aluminum flywheel for a steel one.

Left out some important parts when reinstalling transmission: engine plate/bellhousing spacer and the inspection cover.

Left it in the sun a lot. Grr.

Installed new DC heads (sweet) but lost the signed SVT engine badge :(

I got a handheld shortly after I got the car and found that it had been running MAF counts over 1000 and FPDC at .98 for years (since it had been tuned by a PO).

Oh and ran the car hard with low oil at some point in time. They then replaced the engine oil with maple syrup (this is a hyperbole obviously but the oil was WAY too thick, preventing me from hearing a bottom end knock).

I had to rebuild my engine shorty after I got it as well but it's coming together nowadays. It'll never be perfect but I've learned a lot and I know every square inch of my car. Stick with it brother!

You're giving me a run for my money. Finally, someone who understands too! Lol

BJCobra99

Established Member
Spray paint everywhere (wheels, decklid, probably the vinyl too)...anybody got some svt wheels for sale? Haha
20170713_100735.jpg

speedoflife

Established Member
You're giving me a run for my money. Finally, someone who understands too! Lol

The problems you listed would be so hard to find. The decisions your PO made just make me question how they got ahold of that car in the first place...

I do feel you. Every once in a while I still find ridiculous little things that just drive me crazy! Sounds like you get to enjoy your car soon.
All of the blood, sweat, time, and money is worth it in when that pedal is to the floor though.

Users who are viewing this thread