Drywall guys

bssmith1220

Established Member
Anyone have a guess on cost to drywall a 8x8 bedroom walls and ceiling? I have it down to studs so no demo involved. Trying to decide if I tackle this myself this weekend. I can't get someone to come out for an estimate for a week.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I've never had to buy the stuff, but I've done plenty of drywall. It's a cake walk, man. If you're a handyman AT ALL you can handle this.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Installing the drywall, piece of cake for the walls. Ceiling might require another set of hands if you don't have a sheetrock holder. Taping....now that's another thing. Leave it to a professional if you want it to look perfect. Taping is not for the novice/first timer.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
If you have guys that can do plaster instead of sanding and taping .Spend a little extra money and go that route. Any professional can price the job over the phone based on square foot cost.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
+1 CobraBob.

- Consult local Building Inspector.
- If you have some new construction going on around your place, go look inside if you can.
- Check local building codes. Most likely 1/2" on walls, 5/8" ceiling.
- How you fasten the rock to the wall can make the tapers job easy, or a hard (expensive).
- If you decide to hang it, talk to Taper prior to installation. They may have preferences that make their job easier (less expensive).
- Hang ceiling, then walls.
- I've done some taping in the past, but I'm very inefficient with a hawk/trowel and a banjo, but I'm a putz.
- BTW - Sanding sucks!
- The better job you do hanging, the easier/better job you do taping, the easier/better it is to sand, the easier/better job painting, the better it looks!

I really like Family Handyman website and magazine:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/drywall/installation/how-to-hang-drywall-like-a-pro/view-all

Good luck!

Last edited:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Go for it yourself, it's not that difficult.

You'll botch it in a few places, and have to redo those, but overall drywall is about the easiest things to do.

You'll be sanding more than someone who's good at it if you use too much compound, but since you're not being timed- go by thin layer, by layer and build up gradually.

Also, taping can be tricky, but I've had great results using that fiberglass speed tape. Paper is probably better, but not if you don't know how to apply it.

(Yes, here comes 'that guy' who's about to say mesh sucks, and you will too if you use it)

[video=youtube;LTqUxJZy4_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTqUxJZy4_Y[/video]

Use construction adhesive on the ceiling, and be careful that the screws you use don't get driven through the board, you want the screw just under the surface of the board.

You shouldn't have to sand the screw holes after you mud them, 3 light skim coats and they're usually pretty close that the paint roller marks will mask them. If there's a dimple, one more skim usually does it.

Zemedici

Established Member
Dad runs a drywall yard, been in the industry 25 years. Lemme ask him for a price estimate, one sec

TxCobra76

Established Member
Hanging is a piece of cake. Finishing sucks!!!!! I'm in the middle of flipping a 3000sq ft house and I'm about 2 weeks out on drywall. Gonna hang all of it myself and pay for finishing. I bought a harbor Frieght drywall lift to make it a little easier on me for about $150. Good luck bud.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I just remodeled one of my bathrooms last winter. My cousin does drywall and owed me, so he told me to hang it and he'll come finish. He picked it apart, apparently hanging isn't as simple and just simply throwing the boards up and putting screws in. Screw depth, making sure it's hung perfectly flat, gaps between boards, etc all affect the finished product - or at least dictate how much extra work you have to put in when you get to the finishing step. I used to give him crap all the time for the amount of money he made for a mindless job, but after that project I have a lot more respect for the skill level it takes to make a wall look perfect.

bssmith1220

Established Member
Well the good thing is that this room is an unused one really. Just got tired of the 70's paneling that was just nailed to studs. Can't be worse than that. I've done hardwood floors, interior and exterior doors, roofing, and lots of lighting that involved drywall repairs after. So I guess I'll add this to the list!

bssmith1220

Established Member
Thanks. I got a phone quote from a guy a friend used and it was $900 for the room. 13 sheets of drywall total. Seems like a ripoff to me at that price.

bssmith1220

Established Member
We can't all have baller stuff like the svtp guys apparently all do, plus the I had to have a small house so I could afford a large shop;)

Last edited:

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Thanks. I got a phone quote from a guy a friend used and it was $900 for the room. 13 sheets of drywall total. Seems like a ripoff to me at that price.
How do you get 13 sheets out of an 8x8 room unless you have 11 foot ceilings, no doors, and no windows?

If the guy is including material, labor, including tape, mud, and sanding his price is not out of line if he's a professional contractor with license and insurance.

You can do the job yourself for around $200 in material.

bssmith1220

Established Member
How do you get 13 sheets out of an 8x8 room unless you have 11 foot ceilings, no doors, and no windows?

If the guy is including material, labor, including tape, mud, and sanding his price is not out of line if he's a professional contractor with license and insurance.

You can do the job yourself for around $200 in material.

There is a closet as well, and I bought 13 assuming I will mess at least one up. That price was not any material. Only labor, and it was a cash side job. I'm just doing it myself at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread