Drying Methods...

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
130+ MPH works for me...then a quick wipe down a damp Microfiber...No streaks or spots...Water cant hang on if its wax properly

chuckstang

Established Member
Hey guys
Does the Electric leaf blower get water out of the jams like in the trunk when you open it and under the hood and all those other crevices or is it just powerful enough to move the water on flat surfaces like the sides, roof, and hood of the car?

Currently I use the water blade first, then MF guzzler waffle weave
This gets everything but the jambs, hood vents, inside door jams, trunk jambs and under the hood, everythin gets drenched under here and the water just sits there until you get nasty water spots.

thx

Raymond

slower than you
Established Member
Absorber to get the worst of the water off, drive around the block to get some out of the hidden places, leaf-blower to get it all out of the nook and crannies, and absorber again to get it off the paint again. That's only when I'm doing detailed work, I usually just use the absorber once and am done with it.

texaswrx

Established Member
Just to put out another option, you can look into a good shop vac with blower. The reason I like this option is the flex hose that the shop vacs use. Mine came with a nozzle for using the blower. I wrapped the tip in masking tape in case I did bump the car with it. It worke great for me, and you swap back to the vacum and do the interior.

chuckstang

Established Member
Any links to a good shop vac that does this?

Or what about those air compressors you see in detailing bays, those seem to be very powerful and concentrated and work awsome for them. Every time I go to a deatailing place and see them whip that out, I always wish I had something like that at home to get water out of places you could never dream of fitting your hand in there.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
you can get a small 5 gallon air compressor or something and just get a air nozzle. That is what i use to get it all off and then hit it with a microfiber waffle weave and pat it down and it works great.

chuckstang

Established Member
you can get a small 5 gallon air compressor or something and just get a air nozzle. That is what i use to get it all off and then hit it with a microfiber waffle weave and pat it down and it works great.

A detailing shop told me that you would need a large compressor or else it would not work, would not stay running long enough or something?

Also, could anyone throw out some decent brands for either shop vacs, compressors or leaf blowers

thanks

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I was using a 18V battery operated Black & Decker Sweeper. That's what they call it. It worked great, until the batteries no longer touched the contacts. I have the 18V B&D string trimmer, too, so those batteries work in multiple applications. http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/CategoryOverview.aspx?cPath=1498.1664 $78.22 at Lowe's Home Improvement.

I like the Black & Decker electric blowers, will probably get that soon. http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/CategoryOverview.aspx?cPath=1498.1664.1680 Lowe's has a 12V electric for $69.98

The blowers do good getting the water out from the tight areas. People look at you like you are nuts, but they work.

I do, also, use a 100% Cotton, USA made, white bath towel(which are getting impossible to find). Just because the tag says made in USA, does not mean it is, so read the tag closer to see where the cotton is from.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Thanks for the links!

Any issues with the leaf blowers blowing up sand, dirt and other crud that may be around your car when you turn on the blower and point and shoot at your car?

How much do they weigh? I assume the corded one would be lighter? Also is there any parts to these that could easily come apart as you are holding it over your car that would spell disaster if it fell on your paint?

(Never used a leaf blower, always done it the old fashioned way haha)

As far as the neighbors, they already think I am nutz so nothing to lose there.

Last edited:

zeus201

Established Member
I used to use an Absorber but not anymore! I use a fully plush microfiber towel I bought from Walmart. It's a lot better, seriously! I'll invest in a leaf blower soon, lol.

I also go to Walmart and pick up their microfiber towels from the kitchen section (waffle weave and other types of mf towels). Their decently priced and work quite well.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
Thanks for the links!

Any issues with the leaf blowers blowing up sand, dirt and other crud that may be around your car when you turn on the blower and point and shoot at your car?

How much do they weigh? I assume the corded one would be lighter? Also is there any parts to these that could easily come apart as you are holding it over your car that would spell disaster if it fell on your paint?

(Never used a leaf blower, always done it the old fashioned way haha)

As far as the neighbors, they already think I am nutz so nothing to lose there.

as long as you keep the blower blowing on the car, you shouldn't have an issue with sand blowing up. You could just blow off the area you are going to wash the car at before hand, to get rid of any loose material. The cordless/battery operated one I had was not that heavy. I can't say for the bigger ones. I would go to a Lowe's and pick one up, turn it upside down, see how the weight is. I think the overall construction of them is good, never had an issue with parts coming off. Most of them are all formed plastic.

mustang_00

Established Member
i take deep breaths and just blow the water off!! sure it takes 6 hours and i pass out a few times but the end results are worth it!!! way more gentle than leaf blowers and air compressors

Users who are viewing this thread