Drilled a hole in the gas tank

Silverboost

Established Member
Well back about 6 months ago or so when I was installing my rear mount tank I stupidly drilled a hole in the top of my gas tank. It's a small hole (size of a pen tip), but any ideas on the best way to fix it?

Silverboost

Established Member
actually just called a local radiator shop and they said they can fix....actually said they would clean it up and solder a penny to the tank to patch it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A steel gas tank can actually be welded fairly safely by connecting a shop exhaust hose to an idling car and connecting it to the gas tank needing welding.

Obviously the gas tank is out of the vehicle and emptied of liquid fuel.

Let the car idle for a while and the exhaust gas will displace the normal air in the tank and all the oxygen which could make combustion possible will be removed.

Carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide will not support combustion and any residual oxygen that's left, is in such a small amount after being displaced out that combustion can't occur even if fuel vapors are still present in the tank.

True home grown hot rodder facts::beer: :burn:

Silverboost

Established Member
my only concern with JB Weld and the other type sealants is if it's going to be permanent....if it cost me $50 to get it permanently fixed than i would just rather do that...thanks for the replies everyone!

RussZTT

Established Member
my only concern with JB Weld and the other type sealants is if it's going to be permanent....if it cost me $50 to get it permanently fixed than i would just rather do that...thanks for the replies everyone!
It will be a perm fix. I did this same method on blocking pcv holes in the intake of my Z...13 yrs ago and its fine.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I blew the diff. in a FWD car sending it crashing into the trans case. The area of the case wasn't strutural so I JB'd (not quick) it inside and out. I then installed a Quaife diff. (torsen) and went back to the track many times on slicks. Never an issue and never leaked fluid. Sold the trans. that way and the new owner didn't mind.

Users who are viewing this thread