Do you get tired of being asked “How many years do you have left before retirement”

IA Shelby

Established Member
Just curious for those of you 50+, do you get asked all of the time about retirement?

I am in my mid fifties. I don’t get asked about it from co-workers. My boss asks me once a year for succession plans for the board but he wants me to stay until he retires.

But many of my contemporaries ask me all the time when I am planning to walk away. I believe many of them view it like a competition. Personally I don’t think it is any of their business.

I usually respond with something like, “When the I don’t like it anymore, I will walk away”.

I like my work. I don’t have a ton of hobbies except cars, lake time.. I don’t want to take a Wal-Mart Greeter job when my current job pays XXX more. I am seriously concerned I would be bored to death and just accelerate into Alzheimer’s. I could see myself buying a big diesel pusher and traveling the US but that is about it.

Curious how others have dealt with this pre-retirement stage and after life after retirement.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I am 62 and nobody has ever asked me that question. They probably don't want to give me any ideas.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
In the military those questions start in your mid/late 30's haha. I hit my 20 in 5 days but I'll be staying a few more years. Gotta start looking for my next career though.

Yep, I retired when I was 40 LOL. From the Army that is.

I'm currently in my mid 50's and I'm not asked too often. I have asked some of my co-workers so I can try and figure out how long the "cool" ones plan on sticking around and how soon the "bad" ones will be gone LOL.

I tell everyone, during the conversation, I have 6 years minimum and 9 years maximum left. All depends on my financial situation.

I can't wait to drop the mic. I love my job, but being at home and working on my cars, waking up when I want, doing what I want, no deadlines, no having to make up for others who are out of the office and so on seems so worth it to me.....

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I retired once. Knowing that, most people ask how much longer I am going to work at my second career. The answer: long enough to earn a second pension.

Though I sometimes think it may be earlier. And I can do that if they push me to that point, not a problem.

q6543

Established Member
I’m 43 and I talk about it for sure, I have a few tag lines such as
59 and out!, or the second I see that 3rd million in my 401k I’m not clocking in.

I actually look forward to a retirement job and daydream about it… I’m going to work morning shifts at the local coffee shop say 5am-11am and buy a nice huracan to park out front.
And just make people’s coffee, shoot the shit with them every morning!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Your still married, so...
A co-worker of mine told me once Brad, when you retire and are home all the time your wife will get tired of you being around LMAO!!!!

So, I may enjoy my retirement, not sure the significant other will LMAO!!!

Point taken brother......

JimCSHO

Established Member
I retired once at 62, got bored after the summer and accepted a new position (kept hearing from recruiters every day).

Two years ago I returned to Michigan and went back to private practice with a firm. Mainly it is clients asking about my plan simply because I'm the only estate planning attorney and they are wondering what will happen if I leave - I reassure them that first, I have a succession plan as required by the State Bar, and second, the firm will know in advance and plans to hire someone for me to train to take over.

The firm only asks about once a year about my plans, with the statement "you can stay as long as you like, we just need to know when we need to bring on someone for you to train".

My siblings ask most often and I tell them that I still like what I do, like having a place to go every day to keep me busy, and will continue until I decide it is not any fun. Although in a couple of years I'd like to slow down and only have to go to the office a couple of days a week. My older brother did litigation so he retired and stopped practicing. But litigation takes a lot out of you and I'm glad I stopped doing it in 1997.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
A co-worker of mine told me once Brad, when you retire and are home all the time your wife will get tired of you being around LMAO!!!!

So, I may enjoy my retirement, not sure the significant other will LMAO!!!

Point taken brother......
Mine works with me and we ride together for the last 20 years.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
My plan was to retire at 50, but ended up retiring last year at 48.
I’m about to launch another business soon, I guess it’s to hard to sit idle when money can still be made.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
In the military it wasn't a topic till I put in my request papers, then everyone wondered why I was getting out...................( retired March 1989 )
2nd career was pretty much the same, ( Anheuser-Busch Inc. ),
..............it wasn't a topic,...............till the buy-out was offered.
Everyone above me in the food chain wondered IF I was taking the buy-out ?
Everyone I worked with on a daily basis just asked what day I was leaving !!
.................( forced buy-out end date 31 Oct. 2008 )

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I’m 43 and I talk about it for sure, I have a few tag lines such as
59 and out!, or the second I see that 3rd million in my 401k I’m not clocking in.

I actually look forward to a retirement job and daydream about it… I’m going to work morning shifts at the local coffee shop say 5am-11am and buy a nice huracan to park out front.
And just make people’s coffee, shoot the shit with them every morning!

39 here and ya, I often daydream about waking up and not having anything to do and how great that would be. I know that's not sustainable for long though.

I'd retire today if I could and after taking a few months to drive around the country I'd need something to keep me busy as well. Maybe work at Home Depot or work for a dealership moving cars between locations or something.

As is, still got 20+ to go. Maybe a few less if my parents and in-laws die quickly instead of inheritance getting stolen by nursing homes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread