Do I have a smaller pulley?

MrMason

Established Member
I was driving today after getting my new tires put on, and gave a few WOT runs and noticed that the stock boost gauge goes past the 10psi marker, and also noticed that I hear some belt slip near the top of 3rd and 4th. The pulley cover is still on, I'll take it off tomorrow and give it a look try to get a rough measurement of the pulley size. Stock pulley is something like 3.65" correct? And it should only make 8psi boost correct? I guess it would explain the belt slip since there is no idler pulley.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Post a pic...you might have a 2.93 where the aux idler aren't required...on a side not...If I'm not mistaken, belt slip can cause your boost gauge to read wacky...

MrMason

Established Member
Took some pictures, definitely looks smaller than stock

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

Anybody know what pulley this is?

MrMason

Established Member
could it be a lightning pulley? Should I get an aux idler for this, or a smaller belt. Need to get rid of the slip

Last edited:

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
pretty sure its aftermarket, i would also make sure the car is tuned right, if you didnt even know it had a pulley, chances are the guy you bought it from just stuck it on there without a tune.
EDIT, you cant check the Diameter of the pulley across the face like that, the Dia is measured where the belt makes contact. but being how the outer diameter is still pretty small it could be in the 2.8 range pulley. Since your only seeing 10 pounds id say belt slip is def. a issue.

Last edited:

MrMason

Established Member
def not stock, i would also make sure the car is tuned right, if you didnt even know it had a pulley, chances are the guy you bought it from just stuck it on there without a tune.

It's got a tune on it, not sure what tune but I'm going to get it checked out.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
It's got a tune on it, not sure what tune but I'm going to get it checked out.

that would be my advice, to check the pulley size slip the belt off and get a caliper or mic and measure the diameter where the belt slips around it. then you can find out what size belt you need for sure.

antiv6

Established Member
id just ditch the pulley and get a billetflow one with at least a snub idler. That pulley is ugly and looks beat up.

MrMason

Established Member
pretty sure its aftermarket, i would also make sure the car is tuned right, if you didnt even know it had a pulley, chances are the guy you bought it from just stuck it on there without a tune.
EDIT, you cant check the Diameter of the pulley across the face like that, the Dia is measured where the belt makes contact. but being how the outer diameter is still pretty small it could be in the 2.8 range pulley. Since your only seeing 10 pounds id say belt slip is def. a issue.

Yea I was just trying to guestimate where the belt was making contact, looked like around a 2.8" to me. It is going past the 10 pounds, but then drops off some when it's in the higher rpm, I can definitely hear it slip though. What should the boost be with this pulley, around like 12-13psi correct?

Last edited:

twhitey

Established Member
I have an extra steeda 100mm Idler let me know if your interested. You need a shorter belt. Check your plugs and your a/f

Users who are viewing this thread