decided im buying a ecoboost f-150 but can anyone talk me out of it to buy the v8?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I'm not disagreeing, i'm just saying thats the other argument. Which is technically true because Ford rated it that way, whether it has any merit to it or not.

either way its a silly argument. If you need to tow 10,000lbs on a semi-regular basis you need a 3/4 ton truck. Common sense..
8 speed rams are bad ass but were not available until 2014? i think. 19.4 lifetime is great.

My best tank ever was just over 22 but i was never able to duplicate that before i got rid of it.

IMO the 8spd is a gimmick. You're just adding in between gears to give you more smoothness and more pep. On the highway the final drive ratio isnt any difference than a 6spd.

As an engineer im so tired of marketing/sales pushing the whole "brochure wars" with the competitors. Company A comes out with 6spd, company B comes out with 8 spd, company C comes out with 10spd. Adds cost and no real benefit to the customer. But most people are sheep and they think the "more is better" for everything. Rant off....

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Oh, thanks for clearing that up. What I get for skipping pages lol

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
IMO the 8spd is a gimmick. You're just adding in between gears to give you more smoothness and more pep. On the highway the final drive ratio isnt any difference than a 6spd.

As an engineer im so tired of marketing/sales pushing the whole "brochure wars" with the competitors. Company A comes out with 6spd, company B comes out with 8 spd, company C comes out with 10spd. Adds cost and no real benefit to the customer. But most people are sheep and they think the "more is better" for everything. Rant off....

Definitely agree with your theory. You eventually get to a point of diminishing returns with "speeds" within a transmission.

In actual use though, those 8 speeds deliver. Just talk to any A8 Hellcat owner.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
10 speed will be great for the diesel trucks.

Its also great for EPA testing. Just lowering the RPM by a couple hundred on the dyno under EPA test cycles makes the cars look cleaner without actually making the engine cleaner.

blk02edge

Established Member
either way its a silly argument. If you need to tow 10,000lbs on a semi-regular basis you need a 3/4 ton truck. Common sense..

Have you ever actually felt the difference between a 3.5/6sp and 3.5/10sp? Pretty amazing difference in town. I do get the final drive hwy thing but that 10speed is awesome. I'm waiting for the 2.7/10 speed combo. That will get a legit gas mileage bonus over all the rest in town

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I have said that before. I was adding part two of the ecoboost argument. Keep up.
I asked how vehicles he isnt interested in getting was relevant to deciding between the 5.0L engine and ecoboost engine. You said it tows more. How is that relevant?

You said keep up but im suppose to know you are quoting my post just to add to what i said instead of answering my question? noted.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Jenny, I still dont get it. Can you quote how bringing up a lightning an raptor which are examples of other vehicles brought up that he isnt interested in getting help?

edit* i figured out how. watch and learn...

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
5.0 all the way!

18404096_1881483742063326_419616447943869689_o.png

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Depends on how you drive it.

I hand calculated multiple 19, 20, and 21 mpg tanks in my unloaded 2011 FX4 Super Crew.

No v8 at the time (6-7 years ago) was even close to matching that efficiency.

Chevy 350s were good at 20 on the highway with 3.42 gears. The 5.3 trucks would hit 20 on the highway also. These are all old ass motors past 6-7 years. Those numbers aren't new, just new to you

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Chevy 350s were good at 20 on the highway with 3.42 gears. The 5.3 trucks would hit 20 on the highway also. These are all old ass motors past 6-7 years. Those numbers aren't new, just new to you

Re read my post. No chevy from back then would do 20+ hand calcd per tank. Not talking highway only but compined city and hwy per tank.

Ive owned more Chevy trucks than Fords by far and the best Chevy mpg ive had was a 1998 Suburban with 3.42s and the vortec 350. It did 17.8 on a pure hwy trip from SoCal to Sacramento.

5.3 trucks perform similarly.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Re read my post. No chevy from back then would do 20+ hand calcd per tank. Not talking highway only but compined city and hwy per tank.

Ive owned more Chevy trucks than Fords by far and the best Chevy mpg ive had was a 1998 Suburban with 3.42s and the vortec 350. It did 17.8 on a pure hwy trip from SoCal to Sacramento.

5.3 trucks perform similarly.

Yeah we get dick for mileage in our 08 Tahoe 5.3 flex fuel. Think 16-17 MPG on hwy, admittedly I have a heavy foot (on gasoline, rarely use E85)

Blown 89

Established Member
I remember much of these same arguments when Ford moved away from the 302. Take from that what you will.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah we get dick for mileage in our 08 Tahoe 5.3 flex fuel. Think 16-17 MPG on hwy, admittedly I have a heavy foot (on gasoline, rarely use E85)

Yep. My wife drives a 3/4 Suburban with the 6.0/4.10s and as much as I LOVE that truck, it takes serious concentration to make it do better than 14 mpg. Great truck though!

popeye010

Established Member
I just bought a 2014 Swb, STX 5.0. I don't have it tuned yet and even stock I love the truck. It's a little lazy down low, but thats more tune than anything. I test drove a few ecoboosts and I didn't hate it, but just never went wow. Tune and mufflers soon,, then I'll say,, ecowhat???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I remember much of these same arguments when Ford moved away from the 302. Take from that what you will.

yeah, cause changing to an engine design that is physically larger than a big block with less than 4in bore spacing and shrouded valves turned out to be a great idea.

And it only took them a decade and a half to correct their mistake. Now were right back to 302ci again. Brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread