decided im buying a ecoboost f-150 but can anyone talk me out of it to buy the v8?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
And then you meet a 2nd gen Coyote F-150 with the only bolt-on being a TVS making 600 rwhp. Yes the ecoboost engines make a decent amount of power with bolt-ons and a tune, but the Coyote is king when it comes to making big power.

There is no denying the Coyote can make more power than the 3.5TT EcoBoost and I don't believe anyone has said otherwise. The difference is the price to make that power and spending around $600 can make the 3.5TT a VERY fun and fast truck.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The 2.7TT is a very peppy engine, especially in sport mode in city traffic/speed.

I will say on the highway, it still moves, but not like the 3.5TT.
For a DD, you can't go wrong with the 2.7TT, especially if you find a good deal on one.

nxhappy

Established Member
And then you meet a 2nd gen Coyote F-150 with the only bolt-on being a TVS making 600 rwhp. Yes the ecoboost engines make a decent amount of power with bolt-ons and a tune, but the Coyote is king when it comes to making big power.
and then you meet a Ecoboost with upgraded turbos and e85 lol same concept

what I'm saying is with a $600 tune the EB is a helluva truck

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
I bought a 14 F150 after borrowing my dad's 13 EB to pull out to the Mustang rally in Sturgis from Iowa. Sure, the EB will pull the guts out of any damn thing you want it to. But be prepared to give up mileage. 7-8 mpg at best pulling my vert in an all aluminum trailer weighing 2700 lbs empty. Worst I get with my 5.0 is 10. I don't break land speed records getting there, but I sure as hell don't show up late either.

The other issue is longevity. I work at a Ford dealer as a tech, and we do have a couple customers with EB motors we have never had open. But we have seen our share of turbos, stretched timing chains, catastrophic failures, high pressure pumps, oil leaks, cracked cylinder walls. I have never had a valve cover off a 5.0.

Just my experience, do what you want tho, it's your money.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i think my main concern with buying the smaller ecoboost motor on a new truck is that the resale value would take a big hit

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
I bought a 14 F150 after borrowing my dad's 13 EB to pull out to the Mustang rally in Sturgis from Iowa. Sure, the EB will pull the guts out of any damn thing you want it to. But be prepared to give up mileage. 7-8 mpg at best pulling my vert in an all aluminum trailer weighing 2700 lbs empty. Worst I get with my 5.0 is 10. I don't break land speed records getting there, but I sure as hell don't show up late either.

The other issue is longevity. I work at a Ford dealer as a tech, and we do have a couple customers with EB motors we have never had open. But we have seen our share of turbos, stretched timing chains, catastrophic failures, high pressure pumps, oil leaks, cracked cylinder walls. I have never had a valve cover off a 5.0.

Just my experience, do what you want tho, it's your money.
im looking at getting a 2017.. any issues with them? or did you mean the 2011-2012 EB?

AAG

Established Member
and then you meet a Ecoboost with upgraded turbos and e85 lol same concept

what I'm saying is with a $600 tune the EB is a helluva truck

Ecoboost F-150s can make that much power on a stock block? I also thought they had fuel issues due to having a HPFP due to having direct injection when making that kind of power?

Either way, it makes no sense to buy over a 5.0 truck. The amount you spent for upgrades isn't much different than the price difference of a coyote truck + blower vs 3.5 eco with all those upgrades.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Lets look at this rationally and sensibly. Does anyone think the average person who gets a loan for a 5.0L p/u will have the resources to spend a few grand on FI? How about the possibly hassles if you need warranty work? Save the magnuson-moss talk. I'm willing to bet most turbo owners who want more power will have the resources and fortitude to give it a tune which can be both installed and removed easily.

This talk reminds me of when the 97 & up s/c Buick and Pontiac vehicles were coming of age and the threatened SHO owners would say a Homer-like "well I'll just turbo my car and be faster."

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
im looking at getting a 2017.. any issues with them? or did you mean the 2011-2012 EB?
11-14 for sure. I'm currently putting a short block in a 16 2.7 truck.
Doesn't really matter the year though. Still have more expensive parts on a forced induction engine of any kind that have the potential to fail.
Parts can fail on anything really, lets face it. These were just some reasons I personally chose the 5.0. We don't work on them. Less potential for downtime. Or a large bill after warranty is up.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
So, you let it run for 5 hours at a time so you don't get uncomfortable, or on the one in a million chance in won't start? I'd fire your dumb ass for wasting that much gas.

I guess you missed the whole " my boss said" and you also let it run due to a special little thing in the ground called H2S.

If you dont know what it is. Look it up, and you will see why thousands in the oil field keep their truck running in case they need to hop in and haul ass off site.

Are you actually sitting in the truck for those 5 hours, or are you working around the site?

I'm actually in the truck most of the time.. or when I'm outside I'm testing oil which requires the truck to be on. As the machine I use to test oil is powered by the truck

nxhappy

Established Member
Pretty sure some of the 5.0s had failing pistons and other issues as well, so you can't claim the ecoboost "needs more maintenance". If you are worried about any maintenance just buy one with a warranty... end of story .....

Veinguy

I've had a 2012 EB which I towed my Mustang 4000 miles round trip, 17mpg at 75mph on the freeway; no 5.0 will get you that. I now have a 2017 EB, because I didn't like the turbo lag on the 12, hardly noticeable on the 17; and it hauls butt!

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
I've had a 2012 EB which I towed my Mustang 4000 miles round trip, 17mpg at 75mph on the freeway; no 5.0 will get you that. I now have a 2017 EB, because I didn't like the turbo lag on the 12, hardly noticeable on the 17; and it hauls butt!
2.7 or 3.5?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

you got 17mpg towing a car at 75mph? That is some 100% bovine waste excrement

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Ecoboost F-150s can make that much power on a stock block? I also thought they had fuel issues due to having a HPFP due to having direct injection when making that kind of power?

Either way, it makes no sense to buy over a 5.0 truck. The amount you spent for upgrades isn't much different than the price difference of a coyote truck + blower vs 3.5 eco with all those upgrades.

18s will have direct and port fuel injection, just like the yote. So fueling wont be an issue. $1500 in engine option difference + $600 for a tuner, drop in filter, and catch can is a HELL of alot less than a $7000 blower setup. Plus labor depending on who you are...

Coiled03

Established Member
I guess you missed the whole " my boss said" and you also let it run due to a special little thing in the ground called H2S.

If you dont know what it is. Look it up, and you will see why thousands in the oil field keep their truck running in case they need to hop in and haul ass off site.

I'm actually in the truck most of the time.. or when I'm outside I'm testing oil which requires the truck to be on. As the machine I use to test oil is powered by the truck

LOL, no. There's no way to justify 5 hours of idle time unless there's some law requiring it. I don't care what your boss said, or if you're dumb enough to think you can outrun a chemical coming from the ground.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
I've owned both, 2011 5.0 and now have a 13 EB. I tow a camper through the Adirondacks and white mountain national forest on a regular basis. The 5.0 cant tackle heavy towing/loads. Not enough low end grunt, it gear hunts constantly to stay in its powerband.

That said, if you do light towing and everyday driving. The 5.0 sounds better, gets better mpg and is a joy to drive. The EB is boring for everyday driving other than the spool sound and immediate torque because it just feels flat.

both are great trucks, EB is just a better tow rig.

Reliability great for both in my experience. 10kmiles on 5.0 no issues. 40k miles on EB no issues (brakes, tires, oil changes)

Users who are viewing this thread