Dating a smoker

sleek98

Established Member
My wife smoked when we started dating. She knew I wanted nothing to do with it and would not smoke when I was around. She ended up quitting a few months in and never really was a problem.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Had my wife had that attitude we wouldn't have the life and kids we do today. If you skip a person because of 1 bad habit (that can actually change) you may miss out on a lifetime of happiness.
just as if she skips over you due to your addiction to your car............
Look at the total person.
Let me ask too, if you fall in love with a non smoker and 10 years later she starts the habit. What do you do?
Leave the house, kids, cars, etc.........

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Had my wife had that attitude we wouldn't have the life and kids we do today. If you skip a person because of 1 bad habit (that can actually change) you may miss out on a lifetime of happiness.
just as if she skips over you due to your addiction to your car............
Look at the total person.
Let me ask too, if you fall in love with a non smoker and 10 years later she starts the habit. What do you do?
Leave the house, kids, cars, etc.........

My car addiction doesn't affect my health, nor does it make my teeth yellow, my clothes smell like sh*t, or gives me cancer. And if my wife picked up the habbit deep into the relationship I would leave if she wasn't willing to quit.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
My car addiction doesn't affect my health, nor does it make my teeth yellow, my clothes smell like sh*t, or gives me cancer. And if my wife picked up the habbit deep into the relationship I would leave if she wasn't willing to quit.

Splitting hairs just because.
Off road pipes smells bad and contributes to atmosphere that causes cancer.....
Your O/R exhaust is hurting my health so stop it now.
And if you would seriously leave your wife, house, kids because of a habit then you truly don't love her in the first place.
JMO
It took me years to quit and I mean YEARS after promising her in the beginning I would.
So go ahead and miss out on a possible great life for a bad habit.
Different strokes I guess.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
And if you would seriously leave your wife, house, kids because of a habit then you truly don't love her in the first place.
JMO
It took me years to quit and I mean YEARS after promising her in the beginning I would.
Mines still with me and you know my deal.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Mines still with me and you know my deal.
Yea, I know.
He appears to be young though so I hate to see the day he falls madly in love with one who hides it for a while only to find out later.

FWIW, I did everything possible to not smoke in front of her or the kids.
I was as respectful as can be and maybe that's why she stayed.
It can be dealt with people.
Don't miss out of a great person due to 1 habit is all Im saying.
You will NEVER find someone who is 100% perfect.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
It's like dating someone with bad breath or BO - once you find out, things get a lot less appealing...except smoking is much worse in most people's opinion.

That being said...if Jennifer Aniston was digging me after she smoked 2 packs, ate a can of sardines, and ran a marathon in 90 degree heat I would still bang it like a screen door in a hurricane.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I just wish they came with fine
print warning label just like medication bottles. Definitely no if they smoke Black and Milds.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
JMO
To me smoking is selfish. Everyone knows the risks of cigarettes going in. Ill be damned if I am going to stick around while someone slowly kills themselves. Ive seen to many families close to me get hurt from a smoker dying of lung cancer.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I couldn't/wouldn't. For one thing, I'm allergic to tobacco smoke. My mom was a heavy smoker when I grew up. I hated it. Fortunately my kids don't smoke, wife has never smoked, grand kids don't smoke (4 are old enough to). Two of my sisters-in-law smoke, though. :eek:

madscotsman

Established Member

Attachments

• 7b53f2db10220d1287ff59cdeab45c2d.jpg
    7b53f2db10220d1287ff59cdeab45c2d.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 79

Venimus03

Established Member
So when you say date a girl that smokes, do you mean like a pack a day or just has some every now and then on a weekend? Yes, dating a pack a day chain smoker would not work that well. If it's just a every once in a while weekend activity while grabbing some drinks, I wouldn't care. After reading all of these responses all I picture is a girl having a smoke lit every time I see her. Like STAMPEDE3 said, "Don't miss out of a great person due to 1 habit is all Im saying". I'm sure we all have plenty of other bad habits that isn't good for our bodies.

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
I'm married, but if I were single there is no way I'd ever date a smoker. I told my wife to pack her bags before she ever considers taking up the habit.

My grandmother smoked her entire life. She lived (barely) the last three years of her life with COPD, emphysema, and congestive heart failure. She had her first heart attack at 40. She had cardiac angioplasty four times to keep her alive. She had renal angioplasty to save a kidney. She had poor circulation in her legs where she couldn't climb a flight of stairs for the last 10 years of her life without severe pain and, of course, loss of breath. Even with all that, though, she worked until a year before she passed at 80 years old, so I can only imagine that she'd still be alive and healthy today at the age of 86 if she'd never picked up a damn cigarette.

My uncle smoked until a few years ago. He's had two major heart attacks, has COPD and mild emphysema, is on blood thinners for the rest of his life, has a full set of dentures (lost his teeth because of smoking), and can't walk for more than a mile without having to rest an entire day. He's 62.

My grandfather smoked until his death at age 57. Multiple heart attacks.

My other grandfather smoked and died of cancer when he was 59. He had skin and lung cancer.

The worst? My mother. She died in 1979 when she was 26 years old. I was six. A combination of heavy smoking and high-hormone birth control prescribed back in those days. Her arteries were as clogged as any 80-year-old lifetime smoker's. My wife's doctor will kill her BC prescription if she starts smoking because of the known interactions.

Now I'm watching friends and coworkers around my age (44) starting to have really bad health problems caused by smoking. It's ridiculous.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
It never bugged me. Actually, looking back, some of the sexiest women that I've known smoked.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Eh wouldn't overly bother me. It would really overall depend on the situation and the person.

Dated someone who smoked a while back. Lived with her as well. She would only smoke outside and rarely in her car, she knew never in mine. I would say 1-4 cigs a day. If that. So it was not a huge deal.

No I am not a smoker. I did when I was younger when I was drinking. Mainly because my friends did so I got used to being around them and would partake every now and again usually outside talking. Thats about it.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Started smoking when I thought it was cool and dated all types of girls who smoked and didn't. Back then it was accepted.

Now a days no one my age does except for the die hards. Every once and a while I'll light one up and feel like a douche bag to everyone around me.

If you give me a bottle of Jack then all bets are off though.

Users who are viewing this thread