Dating a smoker

Coiled03

Established Member
I could probably overlook it in the early "sex multiple times a day" part of a relationship. But if it were going to be a long term relationship, she'd have to commit to quitting.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Had my wife had that attitude we wouldn't have the life and kids we do today. If you skip a person because of 1 bad habit (that can actually change) you may miss out on a lifetime of happiness.
just as if she skips over you due to your addiction to your car............
Look at the total person.
Let me ask too, if you fall in love with a non smoker and 10 years later she starts the habit. What do you do?
Leave the house, kids, cars, etc.........

So much this. I was a smoker when I met my wife and we were dating. She honestly told me she never dated a smoker and didn't know if she could. I talked with her and got her to give me a chance. I didn't smoke around her, smoked outside. I know you could still smell on my clothes. I eventually quit in 2012 no regrets. But stampede's post is spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Splitting hairs just because.
Off road pipes smells bad and contributes to atmosphere that causes cancer.....
Your O/R exhaust is hurting my health so stop it now.
And if you would seriously leave your wife, house, kids because of a habit then you truly don't love her in the first place.
JMO
It took me years to quit and I mean YEARS after promising her in the beginning I would.
So go ahead and miss out on a possible great life for a bad habit.
Different strokes I guess.

Nah, it's a deal-breaker. Hard pass.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I have asthma so it's a definite deal breaker for any serious relationship. Add to the fact that, as a kid, I watched my Grandfather smoke & end up getting heart surgery. That finally made him quit. Yea, you are willingly killing yourself by smoking. Smh.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I wouldn't date a smoker long term, but I wouldn't have a problem dating a smoker short term.

jtkz13

Established Member
You guys are funny to me. So many 'no way, thats gross!", but I guarantee alot of you guys do stuff just as gross, if not worse. Do you work out 2-3 times a week? Eat healthy? Never fart/burp around your gf/wife? Brush your teeth 2-3 times a day? I doubt every guy that says its gross is the model of health & hygiene.

I've dated A LOT in the past 2 years, and each one of these girls smoked cigarettes to one degree or another. I'm not saying its something I like, but its not a deal breaker to me. There's a lot more important aspects to a girl and whether she's "dateable" than smoking. Ya know, like physical attraction, trust, loyalty, career goals, family goals, etc.

20160812_212233_1_1.jpg

IMG_20150207_101052.jpg

12717331_10101580380057876_174967733256346954_n.jpg

Screenshot_20160406-164724.png

13532988_10210161638307240_2801929476530321525_n.jpg

13327518_10207527412956082_2086210496382565178_n.jpg

And currently dating this one. She is trying to slowly quit though with vaping.

549.jpeg

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Its not just the health side of it. To me its physically a huge turn off. Even girls who smoke pot or vape. No difference to me.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
I was a smoker for almost 20 years, luckily my wife gave me a chance even though she hated it. I wouldn't smoke around her and as soon as I was done I would go wash up the best I could. I finally quit but not until we were married and had 2 kids. I quit cigarettes 7 months ago but now I vape which I am trying to slowly cut out but she says smelling like cake is better than cigarettes. If she had stuck to her word about never dating a smoker we wouldn't have the two wonderful babies we have now, she instead gave me a chance and although it look me longer than I would have liked I did finally give it up. I had tried quitting a few other times using the patch and the pill but they never stuck. While vaping doesn't cut the habit out totally it does cut out the chemicals that are known to cause cancer as nicotine on its own is much like caffeine.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You guys are funny to me. So many 'no way, thats gross!", but I guarantee alot of you guys do stuff just as gross, if not worse. Do you work out 2-3 times a week? Eat healthy? Never fart/burp around your gf/wife? Brush your teeth 2-3 times a day? I doubt every guy that says its gross is the model of health & hygiene.

I've dated A LOT in the past 2 years, and each one of these girls smoked cigarettes to one degree or another. I'm not saying its something I like, but its not a deal breaker to me. There's a lot more important aspects to a girl and whether she's "dateable" than smoking. Ya know, like physical attraction, trust, loyalty, career goals, family goals, etc.

Just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean no one else should...

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok new pledge. No crack or heroine. Meth, coke and whatever else I'm game for.

Love a chick that parties.

Blown 89

Established Member
I work out every day, eat healthy, never fart or burp around my wife, brush my teeth after every meal (I even carry floss and a toothbrush with me during the day), shower twice a day, and more. Your girlfriend is cute and I would have found someone else. Smoking is more than a physical turnoff, I'm not interested in suffering with someone through the final stages of a completely preventable form of cancer.

Never_Enough

Established Member

I've dated A LOT in the past 2 years, and each one of these girls smoked cigarettes to one degree or another. I'm not saying its something I like, but its not a deal breaker to me. There's a lot more important aspects to a girl and whether she's "dateable" than smoking. Ya know, like physical attraction, trust, loyalty, career goals, family goals, et

And currently dating this one. She is trying to slowly quit though with vaping.
Someone turned this into a hey let me brag about who I have "dated" these last 2 years thread LOL!!! Are you seriously comparing a fart or burp to smoking?!

& since you mentioned "physical attraction", smoking falls into that for some of us. Smoking is a physical act.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
If you are happy in life that's what matters. Sadly, many who smoke live a much shorter life with awful consequences for themselves and those they leave behind. That's why you are seeing so many here say they wouldn't date a smoker - because they have lost one or more loved ones due to smoking. Why put your hand on a hot stove when you have been burned before? You have to understand the reasons behind their very strong feelings. We all take risks...but hindsight tells us very often that those risks aren't worth it.

jtkz13

Established Member
Do you go to gym 2-3 times a week? Doubt it.

Not recently, too much having fun and going out, plus work. Soon though, gotta get back into shape for boating season.

Just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean no one else should...

Thats true, 100%. What some people find gross, others dont. I was simply making an observation that a lot of guys on here were making such grandiose stances on it, and I guess I call BS a little bit on that amount of disgust and likely hypocrisy.

I work out every day, eat healthy, never fart or burp around my wife, brush my teeth after every meal (I even carry floss and a toothbrush with me during the day), shower twice a day, and more. Your girlfriend is cute and I would have found someone else. Smoking is more than a physical turnoff, I'm not interested in suffering with someone through the final stages of a completely preventable form of cancer.

Thats admirable, and I actually agree. The OT question was would you DATE a girl that smokes, not marry and be with forever. I probably wouldnt marry a girl if she smoked consistently, but I also wouldnt marry a girl that had any TERRIBLE habits, like alcoholism, lying, hoarding, etc. Fact is most girls that smoke socially or minimal daily amounts quit when they start having kids, and then dont take it back up.

Someone turned this into a hey let me brag about who I have "dated" these last 2 years thread LOL!!! Are you seriously comparing a fart or burp to smoking?!

& since you mentioned "physical attraction", smoking falls into that for some of us. Smoking is a physical act.

Yeah, I'd rather have a girl that smokes socially here & there than burps or farts or has bad personal hygiene. Almost every girl I've dated you'd never know they smoke unless you were standing right next to them when they did it. Ya know there is ways to make it less obvious. Its the people that smoke in their cars, house, and dont brush their teeth and wash their hands that are gross about it.

And no, not bragging at all. Just a way to present some evidence to the contrary. A couple of those girls are professionals in the health care field and will quit eventually. They take care of themselves, eat well, and are quality people. I guess to me smoking doesnt automatically equal nasty filthy person. The worst 2 girls I've dated didnt smoke....

Never_Enough

Established Member
Yeah, I'd rather have a girl that smokes socially here & there than burps or farts or has bad personal hygiene. Almost every girl I've dated you'd never know they smoke unless you were standing right next to them when they did it. Ya know there is ways to make it less obvious. Its the people that smoke in their cars, house, and dont brush their teeth and wash their hands that are gross about it.

And no, not bragging at all. Just a way to present some evidence to the contrary. A couple of those girls are professionals in the health care field and will quit eventually. They take care of themselves, eat well, and are quality people. I guess to me smoking doesnt automatically equal nasty filthy person. The worst 2 girls I've dated didnt smoke....

You know all women burp & fart too, right? So you'd rather date a chick that is willingly killing herself vs has normal bodily functions. Got it. Also, smokers wreak of smoke so yes we can tell without standing right next to them while smoking.

Most alcoholics, smokers, etc say they will quit. Most never do. You know this, right? Taking care of yourself does not = smoking cigarettes. Not sure why you think that is debatable. It does = nasty smelling clothes and breath for sure. I don't think anyone said smokers are automatically horrible people.

Users who are viewing this thread