cutting the springs tomrrow

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
ynotsvt said:
You wouldn't happen to have a side shot of the Vert would ya?
I don't but he is a member here. (dpotter) You could always shoot him a PM and see if he has any.

svtcobrar2004 said:
that blue vert is sexy as **** when i lower my car i dont want any wheel gap. what setup should i go with?
Do you want no wheel gap in the front and rear or just the front?

The blue vert sits a little higher in the rear like my car.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Here is my car with 1 coil in the front and 5/8 in the rear.

145222.jpg

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
This is 3/4 up front and just under one full in the rear. The front sits 1/8 lower than the rear, I am however going back in and taking another 1/4 out up front. My driveway has a slight slope to it so in the pic it seems to rake better.
drop004-1.jpg

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
By dropping my IRS I can have my rear springs out, back in, and the car on the ground in 1:40. This is with hand tools, I can't imagine how much easier it would be with air tools.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Here is the way that I do it. This is from a post I made in another thread.

HISSMAN said:
The trick is to unbolt the catback from the midpipe ( I didn't remove the catback. I just pushed it back from the midpipe so that I could get the pipes below the midpipe joint), and line up the drive shaft so that it will angle down with the IRS cradle when you lower it (just do this at the rear of the transmission, the U-joints position at the diff does not matter). That is the hardest part. Put the rear subframe on jackstands, unbolt the rear shocks, put a jack under the diff. Unbolt the rear IRS/subframe bolts. Lower the IRS with the jack until you can get the springs out. Then reverse.

-Jeff

BelvedereGTX

Banned
I did it the redneck way jeff. I used a crow bar, a couple of beers, and the business end of my work boot. Needless to say the whole car took me 4 hours.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
03silversvt said:
I did it the redneck way jeff. I used a crow bar, a couple of beers, and the business end of my work boot. Needless to say the whole car took me 4 hours.

The first time that I changed the springs I did it that way. I felt as though death was closing in on me fast by the time I had finished. I even used a spring compressor. I swore from that day that I would find an easier way. After changing them three more times I finally perfected the method.

-Jeff

BelvedereGTX

Banned
HISSMAN said:
The first time that I changed the springs I did it that way. I felt as though death was closing in on me fast by the time I had finished. I even used a spring compressor. I swore from that day that I would find an easier way. After changing them three more times I finally perfected the method.

-Jeff
yeah man. I know what your talking about. I was determined to get it done. Never again though. lol

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
By far the absolute easiest way to get the rear springs out is to go to Autozone and get a spring compressor. I didn't even have to unbolt anything, compressed the spring and it came right out. The hardest part was putting the car on jack stands.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
SCcobra4me said:
By far the absolute easiest way to get the rear springs out is to go to Autozone and get a spring compressor. I didn't even have to unbolt anything, compressed the spring and it came right out. The hardest part was putting the car on jack stands.

I used a spring compressor from NAPA, and nearly killed myself trying to get them out. That is what I used the first time I attempted to remove my springs. It was seriously nearly a 5 hour job.

-Jeff

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
I would have to agree this was not as easy as I thought, spring compressor, not much help, just about called 911 when the jack I was using started to tip over,I never moved back and forth around the car so fast in my life to get it straight!! after all said and done, I would save SO much time next around. Here's to the weekend warriors.:beer:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I never use a spring compressor. I just unbolt the cat-back and the lower shock bolt and IRS bolt and drop the whole IRS. Springs fall right out and go right back in.

It's really a peice of cake.

SpectorV

Established Member
When you say unbolt the subframe on the IRS to lower it down to remove the spring are you talking about the botl where the LCA meets the tq box on each side then lower it down?

I can unbolt the clamps on my Borla catback and slide them out so the part right before it goes under the IRS will be loose, is that what you are talking about?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The Actual IRS cradle bolt that bolts the IRS cradle to the subframe. There are four bolts. Two on each side of the rear, and two on each side of the front of the IRS cradle. This is the same bolt that everyone shaves for clearance issues with their wider tires. I just unbolt the rear bolts and leave the front bolts fastened.

-Jeff

ViciousJay

Established Member
04sleeper said:
I never use a spring compressor. I just unbolt the cat-back and the lower shock bolt and IRS bolt and drop the whole IRS. Springs fall right out and go right back in.

It's really a peice of cake.

do you mean you drop the lower a arm right to get the springs out??

ViciousJay

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
The Actual IRS cradle bolt that bolts the IRS cradle to the subframe. There are four bolts. Two on each side of the rear, and two on each side of the front of the IRS cradle. This is the same bolt that everyone shaves for clearance issues with their wider tires. I just unbolt the rear bolts and leave the front bolts fastened.

-Jeff

Jeff can we get some pics here

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
OK, do you know where the Subframe bushings are? There are four subframe bushings. Two on the front, and two on the rear of the IRS. I am talking about the bolt that goes where the rear subframe bushing is. All you are wanting to do is remove those two rear most bolts so that the IRS will pivot off of the two front points and lower down.

-Jeff

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
HISSMAN said:
OK, do you know where the Subframe bushings are? There are four subframe bushings. Two on the front, and two on the rear of the IRS. I am talking about the bolt that goes where the rear subframe bushing is. All you are wanting to do is remove those two rear most bolts so that the IRS will pivot off of the two front points and lower down.

-Jeff
+1 :-D

Users who are viewing this thread