cutting the springs tomrrow

ASVT2NV

Insane And Rising....
Established Member
Gonna go ahead and bite the bullet and get this done tomrrow. Looking to lower the car down a decent bit. Enough to lose the 4x4 look. Can anyone walk me through this? I read in another post that 3/4 a coil in the front and 1 coil in the rear lowers it down to a nice level. Thats probably the route I will go. If anyone could tell me how to take the springs out it would be great. I looked for a how to but couldnt find one. Any input or photos would also be great! Thanks

Leigh

ASVT2NV

Insane And Rising....
Established Member
thanks i dont know how i missed that! lol Guess its just one of those nights sleep is not coming around too easy and neither is anything else!! Will post up some before and afters and measurements.

Leigh

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I cut mine 3/4 all the way around and LOVE it.ride is good and less low speed bounce than before.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Kysnake03 said:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302238
This was in terminator talk how to , sticky Thread
Good luck, show some pics before/after, and how you did.

The method in that link works great! I used it not too long ago to drop mine and it probably only took me 3 hours total. Car looks much better, rides just as nice, and I didn't have to spend a bunch of money on a set of after market springs that would end up slamming my car to the ground and make me scrape on everything.

Good luck and post up pics when done.

ASVT2NV

Insane And Rising....
Established Member
well this didnt go too well. I tried it exactly as it was said in the above link and nothing lol I couldnt get the spring out for anything! I tried prying it out with a crow bar a broom handle. not a bit moved! Finally got pissed off and gave up after I pulled something in my back..damit! Anyone else got any suggestions?? Maybe i missed a bolt somewhere..but i shure didnt see anything.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Take your time. Raise the car higher if you are working on the ground. Secure it on 4 jack stands. It took much more effort to get mine out than most people described (my rear springs did not fall out). I just had to pry them out and sprayed a little WD-40 in the spring perch. Once you disconnect the rear shocks and remove the IRS subframe bolt in the rear wheel well you can lower the IRS subframe with a jack. Its not much more to disconnect to remove the entire IRS (brake lines, drive shaft, and front IRS subframe bolts). So take your time try it again. Make sure your driveshaft is positioned where can tilt up and down (pivot). If not it will limit the subframe travel or break something (my luck). Remember to keep tension on the subframe and control arm with the floor jacks as you remove the bolts for the shocks and rear IRS subframe bolt. 4 jackstands and 2 floor jacks and you should be in business. Get a friend to assist who is familiar with changing springs. Good luck.

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes on the rears dropping the IRS subframe was the only way I could get mine out. On the fronts you need to get the car as high up as possible so you can pull the control arm down more but you still may need to put a prybar in there and yank them out. The good news is that the stockers are a bitch but once they're cut they're easier to deal with.

1bad03snake