cutting the springs tomrrow

Vae_Victus

Established Member
Hey guys...to all of you who cut your springs are you guys removing your iso's as well? From what I understand is that 1 full coil cut will give you about 1 inch drop, and if you take off the iso's then u usually get another 1/4-1/2 inch drop. Is this correct?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Stevenbekah said:
Do you cut from the bottom of the spring or the top (Hey, I've never done this !!)
I would definitely cut the bottom on the fronts. Rears probably don't matter as much but I cut mine from the top.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Vae_Victus said:
From what I understand is that 1 full coil cut will give you about 1 inch drop, and if you take off the iso's then u usually get another 1/4-1/2 inch drop. Is this correct?
No. If you do that you can use your car to plow snow in the wintertime.

I wouldn't do more than 3/4 coil and leave the isos in. You can always cut more later if you want. Best thing to do is a lot of reading and looking at pics of other cars on here to figure out what you're going for.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Wow..ok...I cut 3/4 on the rear of my 04 Cobra and it was WAYY to much. I reccomend cutting half in the back and 3/4 in the front. Also...linear which is 03/04 Cobra you can cut and GTs you cant cut...at all(progressive). Linear and progressive is different. Our are the same from top to bottom so it doesnt really matter where you cut it etc etc. Ride height preference is the only issue. You can always cut more...but if you cut too much..u get my point. Install is easy..no need for springs compressors front or back. Be careful you get the rite height on the IRS before removing the bolt. Too high or too low and you will strip it. -Shane

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I cut one full all around and my car dropped about 1 3/8" in all four corners FWIW, I would recommend leaving the iso's in just due to noise if anything. 3/4 coil is a happy medium, I wanted a little bit more aggresive look though and I love it.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Who has some stock rear springs I may get? My H&R's are too lowwwww-Shane

Jgruggs

Established Member
Guys I've got some coupe springs (03) that I'm gonna cut 3/4 front and rear and put on my 03 vert. Anyone see any problem with this? I know the vert springs are supposed to be a little stiffer than coupe springs...correct? Will I regret this move?

04torchred

Established Member
Jgruggs said:
Guys I've got some coupe springs (03) that I'm gonna cut 3/4 front and rear and put on my 03 vert. Anyone see any problem with this? I know the vert springs are supposed to be a little stiffer than coupe springs...correct? Will I regret this move?

Vert springs are softer then coupe springs. 3/4 will be nice.

Jgruggs

Established Member
I thought the vert springs were stiffer due to the vert weighing more than a coupe...oh well, you think 3/4 will be ok...that's what I'm gonna do. Thanks 04torchred

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
04torchred is right on! Actually it is common practice to swap the vert springs for coupe springs for the stiffer spring rate.

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Stock (cut) springs on the rear, and Eibach pro-kit springs on the front. Thanks :) I did have the rear tires lightly rub once, but this was with a full tank of gas, and two passengers. The main reason for the run is because of my 1/2" wheel spacers with my 10.5" wheels. I am going to buy a set of 3/8ths inch spacers from Lethal soon, and that should fix the situation permanently. I just barely did catch the inside of the lip. If I had the 3/8ths installed it would not have touched at all.

-Jeff
How much did you cut off of the rear springs?

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
04sleeper said:
04torchred is right on! Actually it is common practice to swap the vert springs for coupe springs for the stiffer spring rate.
What springs do you have installed front/rear?

Jgruggs

Established Member
Guys I got it done. Took way too long , but I move slow. Did the rears in about 2 hours and the fronts took a little longer. I know, I'm slow. Anyway, cut 3/4 coil off the rear springs and 1/2 coil off the front. Installed and let down and moved the car back and forth a couple times making sure eveything settled,and then measured and stood back and looked at the stance. The rear was about what I wanted ,but the front was too tall. Sooo, I ended up pulling the fronts back out and cutting another 1/2 coil off for a total of 1 coil off the front springs. This time it only took me a little over 30 minutes for both sides. Amazing what ya can do when ya already have all the tools needed and know all the moves before hand.
I used my dad's 2 post car lift , some jack stands, an 18 mm socket for the Irs bolts and the rear shock bottom bolts, a 10 mm socket for the exhaust tips bolts....just dropped the exhaust tips down ,actually let them hang , it was enough clearance so I didn't do anything else to the exhaust pipes, a good tire iron for prying, and that's pretty much it for the rears. The fronts I had to pull the brake calipers off and tie them up out of the way, disconnect the ABS sensor, very small wrench , I think was a 3/8's, sorry but don't remember, then using the allen wrench and a cresent wrench...couldn't find a boxend wrench big enough...know there's one around here somewhere.....anyway, removed the nut on top of the strut and lowered it down and pryed out the spring. All in all not a hard job.
The car looks great , really like the stance, made a whole new car out of it...just gotta watch the speed bumps. Thanks so much to all of you who have done this before me and shared your info. I had the procedure that you had used and written up , printed out, and I refered back to them several times. Thank you. Also , on a side note. I mounted a pair of Nittos , 315-45-R17's on my stock wheels and they fit and look perfect. I was scared they wouldn't fit, and probably wouldn't have if I hadn't lowered the car. I put 1 on and looked at it with the weight of the car on it, ..car on the ground, and I had about a 1/4 inch between the tire and the IRS bolt, maybe a little less than that. After lowering , the IRS bolt now is below , or inside the wheel and tire is about 1/2 inch from touching anything. I really love the look.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Congrats Jgruggs. If you look back in the thread I said that you have to cut more off the front than the rear. It might have saved you a little time, but oh well.... at least you got it done and learned from it. :beer:

Oh Yeah:
fcad0cab.gif

big_goomba said:
What springs do you have installed front/rear?
1 coil in the front and H&R race in the rear.

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
I really like the stance on 04sleeper's Cobra. I believe he went with 1 coil in the front and 5/8 in the rear.

I'm concerned about the 315/35/17 D3's rubbing without rolling the rear fenders and/or trashing the chin spoiler in front when negotiating driveways, so I was thinking of going with 1/2 in the rear and 7/8 in the front.

I wish there was enough information here to create some kind of chart for both coupes and verts alike. I'll post before/after measurements and pics when I get around to cutting mine.

BTW, What are guys using to cut the springs?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread