Curved Tv's worth it?

hoghunter

Get The Phone
Established Member
Are the curved tv's worth the price...gonna buy a new Tv soon and was wondering if they are worth the extra money....

madscotsman

Established Member
I have one, a 65" Samsung 4K LED. Got it 2 black Friday's ago and only got the curved because it was cheaper than the flat back then. I don't notice any difference with the curved screen and usually forget it's even curved. I went from a 55" LG flat screen to the 65" curved back then. The curved screen does pick up some nasty glares with direct sunlight and overhead lighting from time to time, but is pretty awesome to sit 6 feet in front of playing fallout or skyrim on the PS4...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That's really something you are going to have to decide for yourself. Without direct comparison, it's likely you will not notice the difference.

Go to an electronics store like Best Buy and they'll probably have a top and bottom comparison of the same TV, one curved, one flat. This is where it's easy to see the difference. It was enough to spend the $200.00 extra for my wife and I.

The curved TV has better viewing angles and because our living room is shaped a little odd, those viewing angles can get a bit weird. Additionally, parallel lines across the tv (roads, bridges etc.) actually tend to appear more flat than with the same image on a flat TV. In our case, the curved screen cuts down on the little bit of glare that we receive in late afternoon when the sun is setting.

But, as I said, those were reasons for my wife and I to spend the extra. Those may not be a concern for you and in that case may not warrant the extra cost. Only you can truly determine that for yourself.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
After looking at both, we went curved. It was a 65" Samsung 4K. As mentioned above it does help with the view at my house and we have no glare issues.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I looked at both and I honestly couldn't tell the difference from 6-8' away. Picture looked pretty much the same. Since the large screen TV is hung on our family room wall, we didn't like the look of the curved version. The flat screen blends better with the wall IMO. So for me, if the TV is setting on a table, curved works fine. On a wall, flat looks better. At least to me. It really does boil down to personal preference, viewing wise and appearance wise. Either way you're getting treated to an awesome picture experience.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
I just bought my Samsung 65'' 4k the other week and I am installing it tonight. Decided not to go with the curved since it will be on the wall and to me it really didnt seem like something I personally needed. While the $100 difference is moot when spending that much, it was just another $100 I did not need to spend for no reason.

Plus I have 2 cats that I prefer to give them 1 less thing to try to hang on to. Again why i went with the flat.

Either which one that you do decide to get. You will not be disappointed. Specially if you pair the right equipment with the TV.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
It's all in the eye of the beholder and the room you intend to put it in.
I went with a Sony so curves were not an option. I do like the yellow pixels they added to RGB... Iirc Sharp did it first but they have stopped making TVs.

Sent from my HTC 10

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Look at the image off-axis before you decide.

I think curved screens are a fad, as they're only optimized for one viewer.

For gaming, it'd be acceptable (even preferable) but for television, I'd reiterate the off-axis comment.

There's always a guy watching the game who's on the edge, and a curved screen only lets him see the far side of it.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I just purchased a flat that will be delivered Saturday. The curved looked pretty good also, I just didn't go for it. Nothing more than personal preference in my situation. I think you're good to go either way you decide.

blk02edge

Established Member
I just bought a curved 55'' 4k samsung. Only went curved because it was 2 models better for the same price as the flat one. (black friday deal) Looking at it straight on I can hardly tell a difference however the off axis is noticeably better.

mdever12

Established Member
Don't have any personal experience, but I've read that to get the full benefit of a curved TV, it has to be a large TV. Something like 65'+

If you do end up with the curved, update the thread with a review...I have been thinking about picking one up.

NJredfire03

Established Member
I have a curved 4K 65" Samsung. Don't know if the tv is just better or the curved gives it a bigger look. But the tv ROCKS. It was a 2015 model, bought it right after tax time for 1500 bucks off Amazon. Delivered, set up, and garbage disposed of FREE because of my prime membership. Hell of a tv. I see no drawbacks unless you have light coming in from the side. It hits the curved part as where a flat tv the light will just go by the screen without hitting. Where I have the tv I have zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoghunter

Get The Phone
Established Member
Thanks for all of the posts. I'm pretty sure I will go with the curved due to the fact that our living room is sorta "L" shaped and after looking at the TV's in the store, if you are off to one side the curved gives the impression that you are still in front of it if that makes sense...so curved it is...Samsung 65".

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
ive been looking at tvs lately as well. costco has some good deals right now. but after doing some research last night, they say the best time to buy is at the end of january/february when retailers try to move out the prior years inventory for the new stuff. any thoughts?

im going flat. dont care for the curved and i may end up mounting it on the wall as well.

right now costco has 70" samsung 4k for $1250. add in extra warranty and sales tax though and now its $1500.... ugh.. must resist...

NJredfire03

Established Member
ive been looking at tvs lately as well. costco has some good deals right now. but after doing some research last night, they say the best time to buy is at the end of january/february when retailers try to move out the prior years inventory for the new stuff. any thoughts?

im going flat. dont care for the curved and i may end up mounting it on the wall as well.

right now costco has 70" samsung 4k for $1250. add in extra warranty and sales tax though and now its $1500.... ugh.. must resist...

I have my curved mounted. That's a hell of a price and might be a 2015 as well and most definitely 120hz. I don't need 3D so that was a no brainer as well. Super Bowl time is definitely THE time for TVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
My biggest gripe with curved televisions is the fact that they just aren't big enough to experience what the technology was designed to do, immerse the viewer. Unless you're sitting very close to the tv, or have a gigantic screen, you don't experience the wrap around effect they are meant to give. I'd rather spend the extra coin on a tv that is as future proof as possible. Something that is both HDR10 & Dolby Vision compatible for example.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
My brother has a curved one and it sucks if you sit on the side of the TV so I went with flat.

Crazed_RedNeck

Not a Four-6...
Established Member
The only real advantage to a curved TV is if your in a small space where the TV is close to you, thats why you see more curved computers monitors. If your gonna be 15ft away from your TV itll be more of a nuisance then anything.

Users who are viewing this thread