Current New Vehicle Market

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ford, Mazda and Volkswagen had just a few new, lot inventory going backwards. Notice new $1,500 Ford rebate tied to order only.

The Chevy work truck lot is bulging, as full as prepandemic. Only 1 or 2 new half tons.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ummm…

93a4c53181796eb52bd880dbf343c99b.jpg

Misinformation?

2 month old article...the same time as Farley's public speech about it.

Nothing has changed, nor will it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Motor trend is fake news then.

So I go back to my original statement,

If Ford doesn’t corral it’s dealers…. This will look bad for the Ford Brand.

Which is why Farley, as the Ford brand dude, is saying he's against it. The company is against it. Etc etc etc.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
But In the end, it won’t matter if they won’t/can’t reel in their dealers that refuse to play ball.

Heading back to the basement I guess.

1fc00dccce52968f3ea2e189cceed356.jpg

...I know you're smart enough to realize that their stock price is not directly correlated to dealers charging an addendum or not. LOL

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If people stop buying fords… what’s going to happen to the stock price?

Oh man, you're so right.

Over the next 6-9 months, ADMs go down... currently, and for the foreseeable future, Ford can't produce enough vehicles to fill demand...regardless of what price. Not an issue.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Oh man, you're so right.

Over the next 6-9 months, ADMs go down... currently, and for the foreseeable future, Ford can't produce enough vehicles to fill demand...regardless of what price. Not an issue.

I’m not trying to be a smart ass… and I know you’re personally very invested in this… but you have to agree that creating these markups and changing the business model to a more Ordering rather than stocking inventory may not be in Fords best interest.

Vehicle manufacturers have made poor decisions in the past and it’s cost them dearly. Ford is no exception.

You can’t be blind to this…

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I’m not trying to be a smart ass… and I know you’re personally very invested in this… but you have to agree that creating these markups and changing the business model to a more Ordering rather than stocking inventory may not be in Fords best interest.

Vehicle manufacturers have made poor decisions in the past and it’s cost them dearly. Ford is no exception.

The entire market with all makes being affected by what's going on. There is nothing to differentiate Ford in that respect. You can even see how the makes are going to drive that with rebates tied to ordering and nothing for lot inventory. Don't forget the BILLIONS that all the makes are being forced to spend on EV. That and supply shortages that look to extend 2 years out have consequences for production.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

All manufacturers want to go to that model. I'm seeing happier customers, even if they're having to wait for their vehicles.

Would you rather:

a.) have to search for days, nationwide, to find the vehicle you're looking for.

or

b.) order what you want from a dealer you trust, and get it in 4-5 weeks?

Tezz500

Established Member
All manufacturers want to go to that model. I'm seeing happier customers, even if they're having to wait for their vehicles.

Would you rather:

a.) have to search for days, nationwide, to find the vehicle you're looking for.

or

This isn’t some new amazingly innovative system you know that right?

This is the model Harley used in the 90s, early 2000s they had a 9 year waiting list lol. It was ridiculous and now they’re selling new bikes off the show room floor and have been for decades.

I will concede that you are in the thick of things, it’s your job. It’s what you do.

But as a customer, to answer your question, I like option A. Though I am most definitely in the minority I will again concede that.

I’ve bought many a vehicle new and used, pvt and dealer… and it’s just my hunch that this will not work.

But that’s all it is… I have no data… other than a stock price that has been cut in half… investors must also be seeing impending doom for car manufacturers…

8c7b46a43d998b833ee046418641158a.jpg

67c2b1851955fda00ee61ba0bf1f4a47.jpg

Or maybe it’s just the entire market taking a shit.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This isn’t some new amazingly innovative system you know that right?

This is the model Harley used in the 90s, early 2000s they had a 9 year waiting list lol. It was ridiculous and now they’re selling new bikes off the show room floor and have been for decades.

I will concede that you are in the thick of things, it’s your job. It’s what you do.

But as a customer, to answer your question, I like option A. Though I am most definitely in the minority I will again concede that.

I’ve bought many a vehicle new and used, pvt and dealer… and it’s just my hunch that this will not work.

But that’s all it is… I have no data… other than a stock price that has been cut in half… investors must also be seeing impending doom for car manufacturers…

8c7b46a43d998b833ee046418641158a.jpg

67c2b1851955fda00ee61ba0bf1f4a47.jpg

Or maybe it’s just the entire market taking a shit.

All those drops came after manufactures revised their total year production cuts, due to parts availabilities.

We'll see. Hopefully you're wrong, but if you're right, I'll just sell and retire to a beach someplace.

Tezz500

Established Member
All those drops came after manufactures revised their total year production cuts, due to parts availabilities.

We'll see. Hopefully you're wrong, but if you're right, I'll just sell and retire to a beach someplace.

Things certainly change over time but I just don’t see a permanent shift in the vehicle market to this ordering style if volume dealers can push out loads of inventory.

I feel like if they do try this, it’ll slowly revert back to the decades of previous sales history.

Again, complete and total speculation here.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Would you rather:

or

Very much prefer A, having done both.

I enjoy a good haggle (sure, im probably in the minority), spending half the day at the dealer, and driving away in a shiny new machine.

Plus, regarding B--the wait is not 4-5 weeks--as you know. Not even a little close.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Things certainly change over time but I just don’t see a permanent shift in the vehicle market to this ordering style if volume dealers can push out loads of inventory.

I feel like if they do try this, it’ll slowly revert back to the decades of previous sales history.

Again, complete and total speculation here.

Very much prefer A, having done both.

I enjoy a good haggle (sure, im probably in the minority), spending half the day at the dealer, and driving away in a shiny new machine.

Plus, regarding B--the wait is not 4-5 weeks--as you know. Not even a little close.

We're talking about what the plan is for ordering, not what it is currently. What it is currently is an anomaly.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And you believe Ford will easily roll out that "plan"? I'll believe 4-5 week delivery when I see it! Right now, that is wishful/hopeful believing. There are too many factors that can easily affect a consistent waiting period for Ford, or any other manufacturer. I'd love to see it; I just don't believe it's going to happen true to plan. .

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And you believe Ford will easily roll out that "plan"? I'll believe 4-5 week delivery when I see it! Right now, that is wishful/hopeful believing. There are too many factors that can easily affect a consistent waiting period for Ford, or any other manufacturer. I'd love to see it; I just don't believe it's going to happen true to plan. .

Bob, I think you're caught up in what's going on today.

Is it possible that any manufacturer could have a 4-6 week delivery today? Nope.

Before the craziness, we were getting any stateside built vehicles in 6-8 weeks. Obviously the ones built out of the country took longer. Ford can absolutely get to a 4-6 week window, perhaps faster in the long run.

Rather than building 7/10 vehicles for dealers stock, they'll build 3/10 for stock and 7/10 for consumers. It'll work.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Bob, I think you're caught up in what's going on today.

Is it possible that any manufacturer could have a 4-6 week delivery today? Nope.

Before the craziness, we were getting any stateside built vehicles in 6-8 weeks. Obviously the ones built out of the country took longer. Ford can absolutely get to a 4-6 week window, perhaps faster in the long run.

Rather than building 7/10 vehicles for dealers stock, they'll build 3/10 for stock and 7/10 for consumers. It'll work.

It will be an interesting experiment. I don't think Stellantis is formally going this route. Once the chip and supply lines get back in order, the experiment begins. That might not be until mid-2023 and who knows how Bidens EPA will have ****ed things up by then.

Users who are viewing this thread