Crazy Black Paint

bird_dog0347

Established Member
That's wild, but I wonder if it would easily rub off and get all over everything since there's no top coat to seal it in? Like when my wife puts on lotion with ****ing glitter in it then that is now stuck on my leather seats in my truck.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
That's wild, but I wonder if it would easily rub off and get all over everything since there's no top coat to seal it in? Like when my wife puts on lotion with ****ing glitter in it then that is now stuck on my leather seats in my truck.
I've seen videos with this before and it's pretty much for show only.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member

Rubs/falls right off. It's glitter sprayed on ultra black without any bond.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Id like it way better with just the color change but those sparkles are gay

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Only value to that paint would be for something you drive at night that you don't want to get caught in. I think special operations was looking into using this on some of their vehicles because you'll never see it.

bullitt2735

Established Member
I feel like if used in certain areas, like vent slats for example it could add extra "depth" to cars, but I would definitely not paint a whole car it.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The OEM's are playing around with blacker black concepts.

BY MARK WILSON3 MINUTE READ
It’s hard to describe Vantablack, the world’s darkest black pigment, without seeing it for yourself.

First developed for use in light-sensitive aerospace components (and infamously licensed for artistic use solely by sculptor Anish Kapoor), the pigment uses tiny carbon nanotubes to absorb up to 99.965% of light striking its surface. At Google’s top secret materials lab, I recently gazed upon a sample of Vantablack in real life for the first time. It almost broke my brain. It has no reflection, no contours. It’s like part of the world has been Photoshopped away. Stare at it long enough, and it feels like your soul is being sucked out of your eyeballs.

It’s a frightening idea, to imagine seeing a Vantablack car on the road. BMW used a more reflective version of the paint, which bounces back a more generous 1% of visible light, for this application. Yet even with a slightly reflective surface, a Vatablack car in your rearview mirror would probably look something like a Looney Tunes tunnel painted on in the middle of the street. Is that an object or a void?

3-bmw-vantablack_.jpg
[Photo: BMW]

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The OEM's are playing around with blacker black concepts.

BY MARK WILSON3 MINUTE READ
It’s hard to describe Vantablack, the world’s darkest black pigment, without seeing it for yourself.

First developed for use in light-sensitive aerospace components (and infamously licensed for artistic use solely by sculptor Anish Kapoor), the pigment uses tiny carbon nanotubes to absorb up to 99.965% of light striking its surface. At Google’s top secret materials lab, I recently gazed upon a sample of Vantablack in real life for the first time. It almost broke my brain. It has no reflection, no contours. It’s like part of the world has been Photoshopped away. Stare at it long enough, and it feels like your soul is being sucked out of your eyeballs.

It’s a frightening idea, to imagine seeing a Vantablack car on the road. BMW used a more reflective version of the paint, which bounces back a more generous 1% of visible light, for this application. Yet even with a slightly reflective surface, a Vatablack car in your rearview mirror would probably look something like a Looney Tunes tunnel painted on in the middle of the street. Is that an object or a void?

3-bmw-vantablack_.jpg
[Photo: BMW]

id like to see this black paint in person but as far as painting a vehicle in it - how hard is it gonna be to see that thing coming down the street I wonder.

Morgan

Established Member
For anyone curious...

Vantablack only has high absorption in the 200nm to 16um, with best absorption at 750nm. Radar detectors emit signals at between 24.9cm and 37.4cm, which are far, far too large to be effected by the nano-scale properties of Vantablack. At this wavelength the physical shape of your car is very important, and you would need advanced radar absorbing materials like those used on hundred-million dollar fighter jets to avoid detection.

Users who are viewing this thread