Coyote 5.0L swap in a Ford GT....Huh?!?!

oneslo5.0

Established Member
It look's like a plate is on the car, I don't know what else the 2 braided stainless lines at the TB are for.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
As for flow, doesn't a set of worked FGT heads outperform a worked Coyote head? Without even changing valves?

They are VERY close, our own coyote heads outflowed our Gt500 heads by just 3 cfm on the intake and was identical on the exhaust when flowed @28" and .550 lift

BMR Tech

They are VERY close, our own coyote heads outflowed our Gt500 heads by just 3 cfm on the intake and was identical on the exhaust when flowed @28" and .550 lift

Stock size valves, on either head, or oversize?

Awesome info MMR thanks for sharing.

CPRsm

Correct. :beer:

Can't penalize the 5.4 based engine due to the fact it is larger, and can be made much larger. ;-)

As for flow, doesn't a set of worked FGT heads outperform a worked Coyote head? Without even changing valves?

If I had deeper pockets, I'd rock a 5.4 FGT based engine, NA, making 750+ HP......on pump gas. ;) Of course, the crankshaft alone would cost $4000. :cryying:
Mine makes 800rwhp+ on 91 w a stock crank :)
But yeah, can't penalize the 5.4 for its size without penalizing the coyote for vct and compression.
Now if there was a 5.8 coyote w a good block we'd have a winner. Mmmmmm, give it a larger bore space while you're at it!!!

Rick88LX

Established Member
ume8e3y2.jpg

I suspect there's more to this particular engine than meets the eye.
You guys do realize Ford has been running the Coyote-based engine in the Daytona Prototype cars since 2010 right? Roush/Yates was supplying the engines and supporting the effort. I was there with some of the Ford Racing guys when they were running. Daytona 2010 was the first outing for the Boss 302R as well.

Last edited:

nonliberal

Established Member
At the same time there blowing up. No fgt is blowing up at the power.

I don't think its the power that's blowing up the Coyotes I think it's the tunes that are doing that. I could tune a FGT engine that wouldn't last 1/4 mile before it was toast just like with any car.

There has probably already been 100,000 Coyotes made and running around out there with probably 1000 different people trying to tune them, many not having a clue what they are doing. It's a given that you will see them getting blown up and talked about in a Mustang forum.

On the other hand there are very few FGTs out there, and the people that pay $100,000+ for a car probably are not taking it to Jimbo down the street to tune it for them.

specizripn

Established Member
You guys can stop wondering, the ford engineer that owns the car wanted the coyote because it is his track car. He wishes to keep it n/a and make good power without the heat and issues of a supercharged engine. Not sure what kind of work has been done to the motor and what kind of power it puts down though. And I'm pretty sure he blew up the old motor or something, don't quote me on that.

ROMM

Established Member
Sheesh this is automotive blasphemy! These cars are instant classics. They will be worth tons of money in the future. I think they only produced 4038 of them total (2 year production run). It's like taking an Enzo or F50 or F40 and putting in a F458 motor. Hell even the Gas Monkey F40 episode was a HUGE controversy and they didn't put in a completely different engine like this guy did! I hope he kept the original engine somewhere. This is gonna be another story (though not as extreme on the value) like the original Daytona race car from the 1960's that they took and made street legal and some dude beat around in it as his daily driver in the '70s. It sold a few years ago for $7.25 million! Should have bought the Superformance GT40R and just stuck that Coyote in it. That's what I hoped this was intitially.

Last edited:

Drufuss

Established Member

20 minute long video about a guy who'd get his ass handed to him in any number of cities across the US. I realize this video is probably a few years old, but he'd of gotten cracked then too. "OMG 950hp". Tom Nelson was driving around 7 second Mazda rx7s I the mid 00's
I guess if I was stage6, and this guy brought his fgt and made it rain $$$$ at my shop I'd make a 20 minute youtube video about it too.

Now I'll go drive my slow ass 5.0 and stfu

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Sheesh this is automotive blasphemy! These cars are instant classics. They will be worth tons of money in the future. I think they only produced 4038 of them total (2 year production run). It's like taking an Enzo or F50 or F40 and putting in a F458 motor. Hell even the Gas Monkey F40 episode was a HUGE controversy and they didn't put in a completely different engine like this guy did! I hope he kept the original engine somewhere. This is gonna be another story (though not as extreme on the value) like the original Daytona race car from the 1960's that they took and made street legal and some dude beat around in it as his daily driver in the '70s. It sold a few years ago for $7.25 million! Should have bought the Superformance GT40R and just stuck that Coyote in it. That's what I hopped this was intitially.

Yeah, but a collector item, like the Enzo and F40 isn't exactly the same category of the FGT...

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
20 minute long video about a guy who'd get his ass handed to him in any number of cities across the US. I realize this video is probably a few years old, but he'd of gotten cracked then too. "OMG 950hp". Tom Nelson was driving around 7 second Mazda rx7s I the mid 00's
I guess if I was stage6, and this guy brought his fgt and made it rain $$$$ at my shop I'd make a 20 minute youtube video about it too.

Now I'll go drive my slow ass 5.0 and stfu

Its actually about 8 years old. Still a good vid. One of the first FGT youtube vids and one of the first FGT's turbo'd

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
In the picture, Those look like 2 or 3 valve heads, Not 4 valve heads. Maybe not a Coyote motor, Maybe just a boss intake mocked up on some project.

Yeah I was thinking possibly a 6.2 because those valve covers don't look like any I've ever seen on a coyote. The covers look much narrower to me,not to mention the height of them. Maybe I need glasses....

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
In the picture, Those look like 2 or 3 valve heads, Not 4 valve heads. Maybe not a Coyote motor, Maybe just a boss intake mocked up on some project.

Yeah I was thinking possibly a 6.2 because those valve covers don't look like any I've ever seen on a coyote. The covers look much narrower to me,not to mention the height of them. Maybe I need glasses....

Valve covers look exactly like a Coyote to me...

uvegu9yj.jpg

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member

lol go outside and look at your engine. i can tell thats a coyote from across my living room.

Users who are viewing this thread