Converters, how do you know if your too tight or too loose?

01SilverGt

Established Member
Foot braking your converter and flashing the converter wide open throttle from idle acts totally different. I have a 3400 stall from circle d it will only hold until 2300 rpm before it spins the tires. Just a heads up op.

stang910

Established Member
My buddy has a Terminator with a C4 and KB (22psi) and he has run 9.60's@140+. Pretty sure he has a 4000 stall.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I don't have a TB so there is no more getting that sixty down. Punch and go, and it hooks. Like I said I'm going to go c4 with a TB, should wake it up. Also it went a best of 144 with stick.

Your going about it the wrong way. What is a C4 going to do?????

Evo2SVT

Established Member
Uhhhhh what???

It is a 3200 stall that is very loose and flashes about 4200-4300. I can only foot brake my car to about 2600 and if I stomp it goes to 4200-4300. Now off the trans brake I have it set for 4000. I wanna pull it out this winter and get it tightened up some

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
It is a 3200 stall that is very loose and flashes about 4200-4300. I can only foot brake my car to about 2600 and if I stomp it goes to 4200-4300. Now off the trans brake I have it set for 4000. I wanna pull it out this winter and get it tightened up some

You might have "asked" for a 3200 but if it flashes to 4200 thats much closer to your actual stall speed...foot brake stall is meaningless. A trans brakes would tell you your true stall

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^^ I agree with Jake, and OP it surely isn't PTC's first rodeo they have Many knowledgeable guys in that company ASK to speak to one...

Evo2SVT

Established Member
You might have "asked" for a 3200 but if it flashes to 4200 thats much closer to your actual stall speed...foot brake stall is meaningless. A trans brakes would tell you your true stall

Then that would be about 4300-4400

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Your going about it the wrong way. What is a C4 going to do?????

I have a built C4..my 4r70w isn't built it's bone stock aside from an intermediate shaft and a PTC converter. Which could be half my issue might be slipping up high rpm range. So instead of buying new clutches etc I could just throw in the C4. Before you ask why not go c4 to start with it because I drive the car to Georgia from florida occasionally and liked OD.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I have a built C4..my 4r70w isn't built it's bone stock aside from an intermediate shaft and a PTC converter. Which could be half my issue might be slipping up high rpm range. So instead of buying new clutches etc I could just throw in the C4. Before you ask why not go c4 to start with it because I drive the car to Georgia from florida occasionally and liked OD.

so sell the C4 and build the 4r? you need at least 3.55s and a 28" tire....Id rather have 3.27s though to use a C4 on the highway. Plus its non lockup / smaller so will run warmer. The 4r will handle your power / weight better than a C4 imo.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
so sell the C4 and build the 4r? you need at least 3.55s and a 28" tire....Id rather have 3.27s though to use a C4 on the highway. Plus its non lockup / smaller so will run warmer. The 4r will handle your power / weight better than a C4 imo.

That's a possibility, I'll look into more of my decision this weekend when I take the trans out and find out out if theirs anything burning up inside and getting the converter right.

Stanger00

Established Member
Be ready for the lock up. These Circle D units grab hard! It feels like another gear when mine locks up. I am not pushing any power like you but I ran 127 in the 1/4 with 600hp. I picked up 34mph from the 1/8th. I just need to have the converter lockup adjusted to a higher MPH since its locking too early. It makes my car bog down and kills its momentum.

I think the converter with that low of a stall was killing you too. I run a street friendly 3300 from Circle D. My max torque comes in around 5k rpms.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Be ready for the lock up. These Circle D units grab hard! It feels like another gear when mine locks up. I am not pushing any power like you but I ran 127 in the 1/4 with 600hp. I picked up 34mph from the 1/8th. I just need to have the converter lockup adjusted to a higher MPH since its locking too early. It makes my car bog down and kills its momentum.

I think the converter with that low of a stall was killing you too. I run a street friendly 3300 from Circle D. My max torque comes in around 5k rpms.

You don't have your Lock up on a switch? I can hit a button and activate lock up in high gear

Fast Orange

Established Member
Jake is right, I have a built 4r7w with a Pro Torque convertor and my car has been 8.30's @ close to 170 mph.

Stanger00

Established Member
My auto is ECU controlled. I put the car in D and stab the peddle and it shifts when its commanded too. Just need to adjust converter lock up in 3rd gear.

Users who are viewing this thread