Converters, how do you know if your too tight or too loose?

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Talked with circle D today, said he doesn't care who made the single disk I'm blowing through it at my power level especially since I lock up at WOT, a new triple disc in route!

Stanger00

Established Member
You thought a single would hold all that power. Good thing you talked to Chris before you installed it.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Got another quick one for you boys, off the top of your head--How many RPM's does your car drop in between shifts? I been researching how to tell if you're actually "blowing through" your converter. What i've come up with is it shouldn't be dropping more than 500RPM at WOT when shifting if its not slipping. I watched some recent videos (I'll post after I get home from work) showing that my car drops to 5k when shifting and 7K and takes some serious time to climb through the RPM's. So I think my decision to go Triple disk is going to be huge, just curious on your RPM drops.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Got another quick one for you boys, off the top of your head--How many RPM's does your car drop in between shifts? I been researching how to tell if you're actually "blowing through" your converter. What i've come up with is it shouldn't be dropping more than 500RPM at WOT when shifting if its not slipping. I watched some recent videos (I'll post after I get home from work) showing that my car drops to 5k when shifting and 7K and takes some serious time to climb through the RPM's. So I think my decision to go Triple disk is going to be huge, just curious on your RPM drops.

the looser it is the less it will drop....yours was very tight thats why it dropped way back down. 500-600 is a good area though

Blackedout

Established Member
Talked with circle D today, said he doesn't care who made the single disk I'm blowing through it at my power level especially since I lock up at WOT, a new triple disc in route!

This is what I run in my TUB... Circle D w/tripple disc w/lock up 3500 stall... at WO shifts drop around 500 rpm's... just wait until you hit the lock up at the top of 3rd.... :beer:

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
This is what I run in my TUB... Circle D w/tripple disc w/lock up 3500 stall... at WO shifts drop around 500 rpm's... just wait until you hit the lock up at the top of 3rd.... :beer:

Man I hope so, because when I used to hit lock-up It felt like the car slowed down big time, BTW my pops put the walmart mercon V in the car last time, and I opted with the redline race fluid this time, and SHIT! is it some expensive stuff.

Video will be up here in a minute, I want you guys to see my car accelerating, and see how many laugh, haha

Blackedout

Established Member
You should put the new converter in and strap it to a dyno before heading back to the track... my 2 cents .... I would say from the video the converter is not holding the power..

Stanger00

Established Member
Looks as though the converter is flashing and once it catches up its time for you to shift again. Mine isnt as bad. Here is a 2nd gear pull in my car. You can see the rpms dip after the converter flashes.

Edit: When my car shifts into 3rd the converter flashes again and once the rpms start to dip is when my converter locks and its like another shift and my car bogs because it grabs so damn hard. From the 1/8th mile my car gains 34 mph to the 1/4 with that condition.

[youtube_browser]VQs96vEAy8k[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Stanger the only issue with that theory is its a 2200 stall I don't think it's flashing it 5,000+ Rpm...we will find out Saturday it should be back on the road by then.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
both of those video's are terrible....here is how my old street strip 3800 stall worked....my current one is way better but just to show you.

Jake goes 10 09 at 141 in car - YouTube

Man I'm clearly leaving tons on the table, and my video was on street tires and street tune. It's much worse at the track. I'd be willing to be I pick up half a second. You said it was an old converter was it a triple disk?

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Looks as though the converter is flashing and once it catches up its time for you to shift again. Mine isnt as bad. Here is a 2nd gear pull in my car. You can see the rpms dip after the converter flashes.

Edit: When my car shifts into 3rd the converter flashes again and once the rpms start to dip is when my converter locks and its like another shift and my car bogs because it grabs so damn hard. From the 1/8th mile my car gains 34 mph to the 1/4 with that condition.

[youtube_browser]VQs96vEAy8k[/youtube_browser]

To be honest yours doesn't look to be spot on I wouldn't want it doing so much flashing like that, get that power to the ground. How fast have you been? I bet your leaving a few tenths on the table with some converter tweaks from whichever company you use.

Stanger00

Established Member
I could be.

Badass's car has been around for a long time and I have followed all of his success with his Terminator. That converter looked perfect and if it was that perfect out of the box then I am very impressed!

I think mine needs to be pulled and adjusted for high gear slippage. It does slip but I think I can avoid the slip by locking the converter right when it shifts into 3rd or have it lock up at 115-120 mph. It needs some work but I dont race my car all the time. I only get to the track 2-3 times a year. The pull in my video is basically a shock load. I held 3k rpms and matted the gas peddle of course the converter will be a little slow to catch up to the engine rpms. It doesnt do this on a 1-2 shift but I do get a little slip with the 2-3 shift.

Now, if my car acted like yours I wouldnt stand for that and I would be out having it fixed so it operates correctly. Your car hardly drops any rpm on the shifts so it is definitely blowing thru the converter.

Edit: I have only ran my car 2 times down the 1/4 with my daily driver rims and tires. I have 17" fr500s front and rear. Not the lightest or a grippy setup at all. With dryish nitto 555rs 315/35/17 I had to ease out of the hole with a 2.1 60ft and I lifted on the shifts a little and 7.8 1/8th at 93 mph and finished the 1/4 at 11.9 at 127mph.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Man I'm clearly leaving tons on the table, and my video was on street tires and street tune. It's much worse at the track. I'd be willing to be I pick up half a second. You said it was an old converter was it a triple disk?

that video is a triple disc redone by Lenny @ Ultimate since PI couldnt get it right after 2 shots.

Users who are viewing this thread