Converters, how do you know if your too tight or too loose?

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Need to know what to look for, I have a PTC single 10" billet race converter with 2200 stall and I've gotten slower so far since the swap from a manual, granted its hot I figured I should be running low 9s as my car weight 3450 with me in it and made 734 before I did nothing but put in auto.

Anyway my car feels like I have the Ebrake on when I take off from a stop light or let off the gas it just lugs..also down about 8mph in the 1/4, just curious as any insight of what needs to be done or if anyone had the same problem since going auto.

cobra2547

Established Member
2200 stall for a car that fast seems very tight. I understand you have a twin screw and want to take advantage of the low end torque but I really would think you can take advantage of something much looser to get you into your horsepower powerband.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
"Billet Race Converter" and 2200 stall should not be used in the same sentence. Not sure what they were thinking but I'd call them back and say wtf you are WAY off.

Trans brake?

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
"Billet Race Converter" and 2200 stall should not be used in the same sentence. Not sure what they were thinking but I'd call them back and say wtf you are WAY off.

Trans brake?

No trans brake. And yes it's a 10" billet race converter with lock up and OD, I happens to tell them what I had and said I felt a low stall would probably work best right, they agreed.

What would you guys recommend?

Here is a pass with auto..if you listen closely in low gear it just sounds like its struggling or slipping..I know a converter can make or brake this auto deal, I feel it's breaking me currently.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=THl7tlq1xM8

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
2200 stall for a car that fast seems very tight. I understand you have a twin screw and want to take advantage of the low end torque but I really would think you can take advantage of something much looser to get you into your horsepower powerband.

Yes my initial though was since I make torque at very low rpm that I didn't want to be stalling through my power range too far. I might have been mis informed.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Some research I've found says you want to have a stall the matches or is within 500rpm of your peak Tq. My peak is at 4700rpm, might have to send back to PTC

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
A good converter company takes all of your info and makes it work with their converter specs. Shocked they agreed on a 2k stall. It's different for every combo and there is no right answer. I'd be willing to be you need over 3500 to see good results

Evo2SVT

Established Member
I am running a 3200 stall and it flashes to about 4300. Now I only make 377hp 38*tq. It sounds like your converter way to tight for your set up

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
I am running a 3200 stall and it flashes to about 4300. Now I only make 377hp 38*tq. It sounds like your converter way to tight for your set up

I went to the track Last night and it ran a 10.48 @128 I'm over this set up in general. Looking to go C4 I could care less if I can't drive on the interstate because of no OD. This car should be knocking on the door of 8's not mid 10's

Evo2SVT

Established Member
I went to the track Last night and it ran a 10.48 @128 I'm over this set up in general. Looking to go C4 I could care less if I can't drive on the interstate because of no OD. This car should be knocking on the door of 8's not mid 10's

I drive my C4 on the interstate. 28" tall tire with 3.55's turns about 2800rpm at 65mph. I am running 11.0@122 with 377hp on a drag radial

Evo2SVT

Established Member

Whats the time lip look like? 60'? 1/8?

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Whats the time lip look like? 60'? 1/8?

Like I have 300hp lol. Here it is, going to go c4 what converter you use
atu9u4ez.jpg

Evo2SVT

Established Member
Like I have 300hp lol. Here it is, going to go c4 what converter you use
atu9u4ez.jpg

I am running a Pats Performance converter. What kind of MPH where you seeing with the manual trans? The 60' is soft for your power you should try the trans brake. Now that my ARB is installed I am seeing almost a tenth difference between foot to trans brake

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
You will loose more MPH with the auto then the stick but 12mph is a little much. I would work on getting that 60' down

I don't have a TB so there is no more getting that sixty down. Punch and go, and it hooks. Like I said I'm going to go c4 with a TB, should wake it up. Also it went a best of 144 with stick.

blown302stng

Established Member
IMO I would stay away from the c4, with you car at nearly 3500lbs it will not last long at your power level...It isnt the transmission that is killing you unless something is slipping...Have you checked the fluid to see if there is any material in it? If it was me I would pull the converter out and have them rework it before giving it up....

I think your converter is just to tight and if you can loosen it up to 3500rpms you will see much improvement...Converter setup is key to having an auto that works

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Let me ask you guys, if your in high gear on flatland at 60mph and let off will your car immediatley go down to about 50 and rapidly decline like I'm on the brakes? Any other regular auto car will coast..

Evo2SVT

Established Member
Let me ask you guys, if your in high gear on flatland at 60mph and let off will your car immediatley go down to about 50 and rapidly decline like I'm on the brakes? Any other regular auto car will coast..

No mine doesn't but that might be from the converter being so tight and not having any slip

Users who are viewing this thread