Compound Boost Anyone?

Digital

Established Member
I hooked up all the turbo exhaust, mounted the turbo, connected the intake for the eaton and the tb/plenum.

Apparently the intercooler pump nipple got busted off. I'm trying to find someone who has a toasted / weak one and wants to give me the front of their unit. If you have one PM me.

I'm going to put the SLP LM1s back on the car. I should have that welded up tomorrow and the Y pipe connected to it.

There's a bunch of stuff that's little I need to complete. Hopefully by wed-thurs of next week that will be all squared away when the rest of my parts get here. Would be solid to have it all put back together and done by next weekend.

I'm going to try to start it tomorrow and see what happens.

picz3w006.jpg

Digital

Established Member
hell yeah...cool thread! :rockon:

shes almost there/put back together!

keep up the good work, and she'll be up and running again, in no time!

Thanks man. I hope so. I ran into a issue today. Seems the CCRM is bad. So I gotta source one quickly. That prevented me from starting the car today like I had hoped after I filled all the fluids up nice and put the interior back together.

I'm waiting for stuff in the mail now at this point. Everything coming in the mail is real quick easy stuff that'll take a few minutes.

Right now it looks like the only things that need to be done are:
Mount the Cat-back and weld the Y from my down pipe to my cat back.
Find, buy, & Install a new radio. (low priority)
Fiberglass, sand, and paint the hood.
Hammer and pull the fenders straight, sand, and paint them.
Paint the front bumper & mount it with all the lights.
Bondo, sand, and paint the rear bumper.
Sand and paint the rear deck lid.
Sand & paint little spots here and there on the car.
Construct brackets to mount the heat exchanger and mount it /w the lines.
Replace the air bags (low priority)
Clean the interior and detail the exterior once it's all painted.
Find new front rims that match the back. (high priority)

I should have all that stuff done by the weekend baring any ccrm surprise issues.

Once I get the car running I'd like to find out what was wrong with my WOT/2Step box.
I also am looking to pickup a new blow off valve possibly this week and weld that on. I think that will completely fix my boost drop off issue. I also switched from my mechanical boost controller to my greddy electronic one while I was putting the motor back in.

hk47a.jpg

picz3w008.jpg

picz3w005.jpg

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Man we got a ton of stuff done today after a bunch of parts finally came in.
Started the car, sounds great. Welded up the cat back, that also sounds great.
Got all the body panels back on. Have to finish repairing them but at least they are on, straight, and aligned.
Ton of other little stuff got done that needed to be done but couldn't till I had parts and time to go in to knock it all out.
There is a bunch of little stuff to do before I can put it on the road. Hopefully I can finish all that up sunday and take it out for a spin. Looks promising.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu2Cg0KscOE"]YouTube - Compound Cobra Start-Up & Rev (No Exhaust)[/nomedia]

picz3w004.jpg

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Did a lot today. Got the car running and home. Still a lot of work to be done but i'm over the hump at least and I can begin to fix things while enjoying the car.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcVTM4UDfdA"]YouTube - 03 Compound Cobra - Part Throttle Testing[/nomedia]

picz3w.jpg

Last edited:

yan88gt

Established Member
Hi ! have you ever tought of bypassing some of the boost straight into the lower intake ? A cheap ebay 60mm wastegate plumb between the plenum and the back of the lower intake could maybe help improve the efficiency at higher boost level ???

Last edited:

Mustang Matt

Established Member
You've got bigger balls that me. I would never go flying between the two cars like that.

You're one unsignaled lane change away from wrecking it again. :(

Car looks like a car again. Congrats!

Digital

Established Member
Couldn't get the last video to play but glad you got her running and driving again.
Can't wait to see what shell do
Thanks. I fixed the video.

Hi ! have you ever tought of bypassing some of the boost straight into the lower intake ? A cheap ebay 60mm wastegate plumb between the plenum and the back of the lower intake could maybe help improve the efficiency at higher boost level ???
You mean run boost from the charge pipe between the MAF and the supercharger under the supercharger? Seems like more work then it would be worth and I'm a fan of the keeping it simple method. But I do like that idea.

You've got bigger balls that me. I would never go flying between the two cars like that.

You're one unsignaled lane change away from wrecking it again. :(

Car looks like a car again. Congrats!
I suppose. I've had people change lanes into me while I was driving next to them for a mile. It's a ballsy car to drive but I'm sure anyone can get use to it with time.

I had some fun taking some buddies out in it today and flogging the crap out of it. Runs really strong and I'm not having a lot of the issues I was before. I'll have to take it to the top of 4th a few times to see if I'm having the ignition issue still but I want to make sure the car is rock solid before then.

The night I took it home one of the plugs for the vacuum system blew off and the car was running like ass. I fixed that and then it blew off a clamp on the turbo to supercharger pipe.. lol.. so I got new t-bolt clamps which I've been meaning to do for a while and it's holding boost very nice.
Then I was rolling the window down and the window fell out of the track >=( lol.. so I fixed that too..

My rear end bolts for the control arms are ripping through the mounts again. I have huge ass washers welded into the holes to keep them from oblonging but it's happening again. Guess it's time to weld up some boxes.

If it wasn't one thing it was another since I started driving it lol.

That said I have to really comment on the exhaust. I had a Flowmaster Y-pipe welded in previously and some crappy bent piping with the same SLP cat-back. I cut the cat-back off and ran a single 3" dump to try to pickup power. The car sounded like complete ass and I didn't pickup enough power to keep it like that. I'd rather invest in a electronic cut-out later on.
That being said we custom made a new mid-pipe in the shop the other day and the car sounds AMAZING. It's not raspy and crackly like most SLPs. It idles like a regular mustang and when you roll into it the sound is meaty and throaty, at WOT it's very quiet and is completely balanced by the turbo and waste gate sound, it's just a deep roar.
I really need to get some fly by videos in the next couple days. I'm really happy with the exhaust.

Last edited:

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
I love watching the vids of your car, it sounds so awesome and looks like it pulls really hard.

I can't wait till you get some track times so we can see just how well it will do on a track.

Digital

Established Member
I got a job so the mods should be coming in strong again.

hell yeah that vid was cool. :rockon:

i like how it sounds! pretty sweet. cool you are able to driver her again too! =]

any updates?
Ya it feel good. Car doesn't look so pretty with all the body work half way done lol.
I've been driving it to diagnose some things. Have ABS light on. Need to still replace my blow off valve. I saw 19#s last night instead of the usual 16# with old boost controller so I'm sure the car picked up plenty of power off that.
I'm going to roll my fenders today so I can keep from eating my tires. I also need to see if I can reinforce the upper control arm brackets on the car. I'm tearing mine free and it's getting bad. I'm going to setup a plan for those tonight and talk about welding up reinforcement boxes and maybe mini tubbing or full tubbing the car. I'd like to get some big sportsmans behind it eventually, 15x15?.
Just other crap that I need to tweak, needs an alignment on the front end and the A/C charged, also need to weld brackets up for my heat exchanger so I can mount it properly.

I love watching the vids of your car, it sounds so awesome and looks like it pulls really hard.

I can't wait till you get some track times so we can see just how well it will do on a track.

I guess I could take it to the crappy 1/8th tonight if I'm feelin froggy. Good idea blk. lol.
I have to fix my even flow cooling mod, it popped off last night at "high speed" and jizzed coolant all over my wind shield. Plug my exhaust leak and tweak some other stuff but if I'm feeling comfortable I'll roll over there and have someone video tape it for ya =)

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Depending on how things go in the next couple months I'm looking at picking up one of these:

2006_dodge_viper_srt-10_2dr_coupe-pic-62755.jpeg

and either doing this:
3e0754b318e0f250c3405f7502242b98.image.500x385.jpg

or this:
turbo1sm.jpg

So I'll be finishing up some mods on the cobra and then switching to modding another car if all goes well.

Digital

Established Member
So are you going to keep the Cobra too or no?
Yes sir I am. It will allow me to mod the viper and use that as a "daily" type car and go a little more "hard core" on the cobra.
For some things I want to do I feel the viper is a better platform. But I'll keep the cobra and continue to focus on it. I just realized a while ago that it just isn't the right platform for certain things. I also really like how the viper looks. Since I can't afford a Ford GT yet the viper will have to do.

A lot will happen in the next few months so I have a lot of choices to make on the cobra and if/when I pickup another car. I'm going tonight to the shop to draw out some plans and within a few weeks I'll know where I want to go with the car. For now though it's just fixing the crap that's wrong before doing more new stuff. The car has tons of potential the way it is without me doing more so I'd like to see a lot of that finished and working properly first.
One thing all the BS has taught me is to work to perfect what you have before adding new things, and not get too far ahead of yourself.

Last edited:

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Wow man that gonna be a heck of a jump up to a viper....if you go that route stick with the turbo IMO.

I would love to see some track times but get all the little stuff fixed first lol. I don't want you breaking anything right after you got the car running again.

Congrats on the new job too. Hopefully that will help get everything back on track :beer:

Digital

Established Member
Wow man that gonna be a heck of a jump up to a viper....if you go that route stick with the turbo IMO.

I would love to see some track times but get all the little stuff fixed first lol. I don't want you breaking anything right after you got the car running again.

Congrats on the new job too. Hopefully that will help get everything back on track :beer:

I went to the 1/8th miles and had such a crappy time. Place was PACKED. Only got to run twice. First run the dude right in front of me lost his axle and shat diff fluid all down the track so I launched slow and bogged which totally crapped on my run. The next run I either didn't get all the water off my tires or I launched too high cuz I dumped it at 5k and didn't get straight till 80 in 2nd which was almost the end of my run (it was a crowd favorite but sucked for times lol.)
I hate that 1/8th mile so much. I need way more seat time to take advantage of a short track. If you mess up your launch at all on those tracks your entire run is garbage, you can't practice anything else at all.
At least in the 1/4 I can practice shifting and see some mph and watch my numbers on the logger to see where I can improve things.
Either way I need a ton of seat time at the track and need to make a point to go on a dead night so I can hot lap my launching. Also a big difference would be if I got the 2-step to work too. I'm going to fiddle with it again this week and see if it's hardware error or something on my car.

P.S. I didn't get a video but I did get to meet Flo-rida who brought his bugatti veyron lol.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
track

running at the track is so different from sreet racing, you really do have to get used to your car and im installing a two step on my car for sure to much to think about trying to footbrake a 700hp car off the starting line, im so jealous right now, there is still two inches of snow on the ground in ohio, i know alot of guys who never run there cars at the track so props to you for giving it a go, ive had my car at the track twice in two years and broke the imput shaft both times but now ive got everything all built up sra and everything so this is my track year, im gonna hit a few test and tune days at the track get the two step dialed in, im thinkin about that piece from lethal performance that cuts the ignition for no lift shifts (speedshifting)with the two step all in one, gonna find out about it first though

Digital

Established Member
running at the track is so different from sreet racing, you really do have to get used to your car and im installing a two step on my car for sure to much to think about trying to footbrake a 700hp car off the starting line, im so jealous right now, there is still two inches of snow on the ground in ohio, i know alot of guys who never run there cars at the track so props to you for giving it a go, ive had my car at the track twice in two years and broke the imput shaft both times but now ive got everything all built up sra and everything so this is my track year, im gonna hit a few test and tune days at the track get the two step dialed in, im thinkin about that piece from lethal performance that cuts the ignition for no lift shifts (speedshifting)with the two step all in one, gonna find out about it first though
I've gotten the street racing part down just fine lol. Launching at a prepped track though is not a easy task to master at all unfortunately.

I don't mind taking the car to the track. It's not a full out drag car so I don't expect to compete with cars fully setup for it but I'd still like at least moderately comparable results. I just need practice.

You're talking about the N2MB unit. It's the same one I have. Lot of people have them and love them. Either I'm installing it wrong or it's a bad unit (very rare.)

Users who are viewing this thread