Compound Boost Anyone?

Digital

Established Member
So you may have been wondering why you havent seen me on the forums lately?
Well I've been having a custom turbo kit installed by scott beer and mustang specialties down here in south florida.
It's finaly coming to an end so I figured I'd throw up some pictures and give some details on it for inquiring minds.

As some of you may know I had been upgrading to nitrous for power gains but havent been able to get the car to run properly long enough to test it. I had fuel issues, then burnt my clutch, then in the middle of the turbo install I broke my IRS downshifting around a corner with the fresh super-grabby spec 3+ I had just installed (no fault of the IRS, it was already weak from prior issues).

I looked into other means of adding power like going with a very small whipple + spray to meet my hp cravings but I ended up stumbling on a very good deal to have a turbo installed.
At first we were going to go /w a single 68 and spray it off the line with the go go sauce but then decided why not put the stock eaton back on it and run it compounded?
I wasnt looking to max out the turbo by any means so it wasnt going to effect my "top end" power abilitys and would essentially give it an insta-spool at any time.

So I had Scott install a UPR tubular-k /w coil overs and new shocks in the front and then had the turbo piping custom bent and fitted around it to keep from scraping and having any extreme bends. He relocated the battery to the trunk which was to save space but since then the turbo has been moved so it may or may not stay in its current location.
The EGR and various other "un-needed"; vacuum lines have been removed and has cleaned up the right side of the blower a lot.
The exhaust is sitting in the center waiting to be finished up later this week once I get my hands on either a permanent or temporary (for fitment) GT cat-back.

I baught & installed lethal performances stock cobra hat to stock cobra fuel rail -8an upgrade kit which should help me achieve my fuel needs.

I pulled off the Stg 4 stieg port and polished eaton /w 2.93 billetflow non-flip pulley & accufab single blade polished tb.
I replaced it with a completely stock eaton, tb, & pulley. I'm still running the 4# lower so in theory I'll see 10-12#s of boost from the eaton (approx 400rwhp) and will make the rest up /w the 68mm twin ball bearing turbo (300rwhp) that scott installed.
The turbo is a 800hp turbo so in theory the setup is good for about 1100rwhp but right now I dont have the money to upgrade the tranny, engine, or fuel system to make that happen.
We're going to limit the rwhp to 700 so I stay in the safe range of my complete system.

I baught a SN95 GT rear and all the goodies for it and yanked out my IRS /w my cousin. We're in the process of sticking the stock GT rear in so the car can get dyno'd and mobile till the funds for a full upgrade to beefier internals can get aquired.
Looks like a 07 gt500 diff, TA girdle, and 31 mosers are going in it soon as the eaton sells.

I'm going to be running weld 15" prostars /w 325x55x15 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials full time to keep the power to the ground on the street.

Through my calculations based upon the weight lists of others who have done weight reduction the car should weight approx ~3250 pounds empty when all is said and done.

The setup is slated to be tuned, and running around in the next week or two.

Enjoy the pics. I'll update them as I get time and things get installed.

DSC00007JPG_1596408_200.jpg

DSC00010JPG_1596409_200.jpg

DSC00011JPG_1596410_200.jpg

DSC00012JPG_1596411_200.jpg

DSC00013JPG_1596412_200.jpg

DSC00014JPG_1596413_200.jpg

DSC00015JPG_1596424_200.jpg

DSC00016JPG_1596425_200.jpg

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Well updates..

I switched shops to finish the job.

I got a SLP Loudmouth cat-back Exhaust and had the mid-pipe custom made to connect to it.

I also ran the -8an fuel line and got some CPR fuel rails as well. I don't think the rails were needed but I know im gonna run out of fuel so I want as much as I can get.

The eaton is the same as before, all stock, nothing changed there.

The turbo got a new tube made from the turbo to tb, I went bigger, I believe 4" with a slot style SCT BA5000 Maf. Hopefuly with my limited room it'll work and clean up my signal once we get it to the tuning phase.

I did a compression test and the motor passed so it's full steam ahead with everything, no looking back.

I got new rotors, tires, and rims for the rear, the solid is in but not built. I'm going to build the gt500 diff I got and get coilovers in the rear and maybe upper and lower c-arms, obviously moser 31s are going in as well still.

I found some real cool aluminum coolant bottles in australian but it took almost a month to get here so that really sucked waiting for those, i finaly got them though.

Little stuff here and there has been tweaked but it's all going well. When I have some cosmetic changes I'll post so pics up.

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
I appreciate it but no it's good. It's getting finished up. The whole thing was a huge mess and things were done in a 1-off fassion so they arent perfect as if it was a kit that was tested and remade over and over. None the less it should work fine and function perfectly.

The biggest issue right now is going to be the close proximity of the turbo to the throttle body, Since I'm not using a heat exchanger for the actual turbo it gets a full blast in the 26 or so inchs from the turbo snout to the throttle body, in that small space I have to have a 45* bend, a bov, and my MAF.
I think we've worked out a way for it all to work having the BOV right next to the turbo snout and the MAF back by the bend with a screen to even the air out.

The rest is just tightening little things up, wrapping the turbo exhaust, installing my custom made aluminum overflow bottles for the rad and intercooler, welding up the "intake tube", installing my wheels & tires and hipo brake rotors, and CPR fuel rails.
Then off for dyno she goes.

brunocobratt

Established Member
I appreciate it but no it's good. It's getting finished up. The whole thing was a huge mess and things were done in a 1-off fassion so they arent perfect as if it was a kit that was tested and remade over and over. None the less it should work fine and function perfectly.

The biggest issue right now is going to be the close proximity of the turbo to the throttle body, Since I'm not using a heat exchanger for the actual turbo it gets a full blast in the 26 or so inchs from the turbo snout to the throttle body, in that small space I have to have a 45* bend, a bov, and my MAF.
I think we've worked out a way for it all to work having the BOV right next to the turbo snout and the MAF back by the bend with a screen to even the air out.

The rest is just tightening little things up, wrapping the turbo exhaust, installing my custom made aluminum overflow bottles for the rad and intercooler, welding up the "intake tube", installing my wheels & tires and hipo brake rotors, and CPR fuel rails.
Then off for dyno she goes.
can't wait to see it ready :beer:

HoustonSVT

Army Strong
Established Member
Digital,
What was the reason for not using the ported Eaton?
BTW, that is an awesome combo, I am really interested in this also. Can't wait for it to be finished so you can give us your feedback of how it drives.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
The turbo got a new tube made from the turbo to tb, I went bigger, I believe 4" with a slot style SCT BA5000 Maf. Hopefuly with my limited room it'll work and clean up my signal once we get it to the tuning phase.

If you experience MAF signal problems at idle, you may have to drop down to a 3.5" intake tube. We had signal issues with the 4" pipe, and dropping down to a 3.5" tube cleared it right up. It may be different with the eaton on there though, our was on turbo only set ups.

Digital

Established Member
Digital,
What was the reason for not using the ported Eaton?
BTW, that is an awesome combo, I am really interested in this also. Can't wait for it to be finished so you can give us your feedback of how it drives.

It was a money choice. I sold the setup for around 1k and baught a regular eaton for like $250.
Over-spinning the eaton makes it blow hotter air and since I'm using the intercooler in the eaton for the turbo AND the eaton I wanted to keep the heat down as much as possible. I could have used the port and a stock pulley to keep the heat down more I suppose but the 750$ was more tantalising.

If you experience MAF signal problems at idle, you may have to drop down to a 3.5" intake tube. We had signal issues with the 4" pipe, and dropping down to a 3.5" tube cleared it right up. It may be different with the eaton on there though, our was on turbo only set ups.

Will do. I forget if it's a 3.5 or a 4. I'll keep you posted and keep that in mind sir. Thanks.

Digital

Established Member
Small update.
The car idles great, Awesome driving at part throttle and idle, it's like stock...

They've been tuning my car on and off this week. I had some issues with my vacuum lines getting sucked shut when they put the hammer down which was causing the computer to think there was a lean condition at mid rpm, 500rwhp or so.

They fixed that but are having a hard time tuning the WOT. Apparently 2 things were happening. 1 the turbo is so close to the TB and is coming on so hard that it's trying to close the blades on my TB (read as pushing against the gas pedal.)
In the same aspect since the turbo comes on so fast and so hard with the compound setup that the computer isnt able to react fast enough to add fuel and it's going lean.
So they're messing with that and getting it squared away, just a lot of fine tuning involved.

The turbo is spooling at 2200 rpm and since the shops a hour away from me I asked them to describe it, from their accounts it sounds like a supra when it hits, a nice wind up sound then all out chaos at mid 2k and the needle flys to redline.
If we can get it tuned all out it looks like mid 700s to 800s to the tires then I'll need #80+ injectors for more power.

The TQ curve looks to be instant max power then the turbo will send the HP through the roof after that.

Can't wait to get it.

03snakeminated

Established Member
what happened to scott beers? i heard he's in canada now, he and Dan (auto n truck speed) used to dyno my old 94 stang gt about 4 years ago, what shop is working on your car if you don't mind m asking...how's the project coming along?

Digital

Established Member
what happened to scott beers? i heard he's in canada now, he and Dan (auto n truck speed) used to dyno my old 94 stang gt about 4 years ago, what shop is working on your car if you don't mind m asking...how's the project coming along?
He essentially left the car 1/2 finished and ran with my money to be completely honest with you.
Performance Power is doing the work on my car now. They have paul doing the dyno work on it though since he has lots of experience with mustangs and turbo mustangs.

Sound likes an interesting setup keep us posted.
Right now turns out my intercooler pump was relocated and not plugged in which was giving them weird readings on the dyno (thanks scott) and on top of that the 98gt axle assembly I have is shot, the right side is all messed up and wobbling on the dyno so I braught it home today to fix the pump issue (did that last night) and now I'm going to put all the parts I had laying around into the rear.
I was REALLY hoping the rear would last a little while for dyno and street testing but alas I guess not.

On the way home I had the turbo on super super low boost, Like 3-5 PSI and I hit like 4k a few times... that thing sounds so freaking sick with the mufflers then as the RPMs climb the rush of air from the gate... Let off the gas and WOOSH super long big blast of air, like if you suddenly cut a 4 inch hole in a fulley inflated tire. Good shit.

They think I'm still having fuel issues but I think it might have been because there was no water in the intercooler.. lol..

Anyways I'll find out in a week or so once the axles come in and the dif gets all installed, right now I cant even drive it.
The rear like squats to one side and the car kinda drives ****-eyed under power, when I nail it theres a sound of metal spinning and grinding inside metal from the bad side.

I'll post up pics in a little bit today.
Video Coming Soon as well..

As Promised...
I havent cleaned up the engine bay. Need some loom and TLC. Going to install a alum intercooler tank, stuff like that so excuse the clutter.

dsc00001s.jpg

dsc00002q.jpg

dsc00006qqe.jpg

dsc00005sef.jpg

dsc00003xro.jpg

dsc00007pxd.jpg

dsc00008rai.jpg

dsc00009xeg.jpg

dsc00010tix.jpg

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I would be curious to see what the pre tbody air temps are and the IAT2 temps based on your boost levels. overall neat setup, but wish you could have used an intercooler for it.

Digital

Established Member
I would be curious to see what the pre tbody air temps are and the IAT2 temps based on your boost levels. overall neat setup, but wish you could have used an intercooler for it.

I am using an intercooler.. the one under the eaton. I have the dual pass heat exchanger as well.

From my understanding A to W > A to A intercooler setups. Granted the DP is about half the size as a normal turbo intercooler. I can always op to add the two electric fans to it at a later date if temps become an issue.

TRBO VNM

so you are making the stock intercooler and HE do all the cooling for the eaton and the turbo. I understand you still have those things, but you would see performance increases with a separate intercooler for the turbo. it doesn't matter if the A to W is better or not than A to A.

Users who are viewing this thread