Cobra Jet manifold reworking

Deranged2013

Established Member
The 4" one is the FRPP?Airraid unit while the 5" one is the actual tube and 123mm MAF from the Cobra Jet

1381383_10152306506433712_1716077221_n.jpg

These are form his car so that you guys can see what I am talking about as I am not the best at explaining things at times.

Much better! I can only hope this one will be available soon. With a heat shield though.

Yagermeister

Established Member
Asked Jesse Kershaw of Ford Racing about the 5" tube myself yesterday how I could buy it and what part number and there is no part number and it isn't for sale :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

Deranged2013

Established Member
Asked Jesse Kershaw of Ford Racing about the 5" tube myself yesterday how I could buy it and what part number and there is no part number and it isn't for sale :(

Well hopefully an aftermarket company will pick up on this design and offer it to the public. I don't understand why Ford Racing wouldn't offer it. They would sell plenty and make a bunch of $$$.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
If someone wants a 5" CAI, i can make them one, but not sure how good maf resolution will be for normal driving/lower rpm. I currently have the 4.5" available and did change it up a little to allow for a bigger filter. Still don't have a heat shield made up though, trying to get other customer projects done.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Looks good. I'd like to see back to back dynos with this cai compared to some of the other custom cai's that have been tested so far.

me too, i think Tousley ford has it for cheaper though, they quoted 275 a few weeks ago.

but i cant believe the frpp tube is only 4'' guess ill pass this up unless some dyno evidence shows otherwise.

edit: this also looks interesting... made by revolution automotive it looks like a true 5'' for $450
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Revolution-Automotive/150497078319630

Last edited:

Yagermeister

Established Member
The FRPP one is 4.5"od and 4.0"id. It'll depend how they market it if they say its 4.5". It is made by Airaid and the similarities are striking to the 2010 GT Airaid one. It uses almost the same exact MAF transfer function too.

Voltwings

Established Member
How far does the resolution on these Maf's extend? 5" seems like its flirting with the lines of low load drivability? If we're talking 5 whp from .5" of pipe its hard to say i wouldnt take the better driveability over it you know?

Yagermeister

Established Member
I've been told the 5" is definitely not streetable and needs a high idle like the NA CJ which is at 1200rpm. I don't know if that is true or not but with the right tuner anything is possible!

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
I've been told the 5" is definitely not streetable and needs a high idle like the NA CJ which is at 1200rpm. I don't know if that is true or not but with the right tuner anything is possible!

That means the 4.5" would be perfect!

I am purchasing one of these in the next couple weeks... I hope the highest power option becomes clear by then.

Bloodykisses

Mopar troll.
Established Member
If people are really interested in Aluminum 4 inch 4.5 inch or 5 inch i can and am willing to start making them in polished, black, etc. Im planning on buying one for myself to put on my Boss and go to the same route with porting etc, Just confused on which TB to use and MAF. Someone can point me in the right direction with those two choices i can get started right away.

Yagermeister

Established Member
If people are really interested in Aluminum 4 inch 4.5 inch or 5 inch i can and am willing to start making them in polished, black, etc. Im planning on buying one for myself to put on my Boss and go to the same route with porting etc, Just confused on which TB to use and MAF. Someone can point me in the right direction with those two choices i can get started right away.

You can use the stock GT500 for great driveability but not the most HP, you can use either the FRPP twin 65mm or VMP twin 67mm for great driveability and good HP, or the Super CJ monoblade for good driveability and great HP...IMHO

86merc

Established Member
The mono blade seemed to make better torque than the twin 63.5 TB we tested the same day. I think the mono blade is hard to beat. I have not seen anyone post numbers with the larger twin VMP or KB throttle bodies.

Bloodykisses

Mopar troll.
Established Member
So super CJ monoblade TB and 123MAF and housing? Housing seems pointless to me, id rather just build it right into the 5 inch intake tube.

twistedneck

Established Member
So super CJ monoblade TB and 123MAF and housing? Housing seems pointless to me, id rather just build it right into the 5 inch intake tube.

I thought the 5" MAF didn't idle below 1200 rpm?

Also how much is Watson asking? They are only a few miles away from my house.. No shipping.

86merc

Established Member
Shaun at AED mentioned something to the effect of the 123mm maf is going to have poor maf resolution. And the extra tuning needed to possibly make it work as well as the cost were not worth the small gains you might see over a 4.5" set up.

Someone posted the open surface area size, or what ever you want to call it, of the SCJ mono blade and it was close to the 4.5" tubing. 5" is probably over kill, especially when you look at the cost and potential tuning issues.

Users who are viewing this thread