Cobra Jet manifold reworking

86merc

Established Member
Torque loss should be minimal once proper cam timing is adjusted.

Agreed. If you lay my CJ graph over Drew's stock intake graph it actually makes more torque. Not accurate because of different car with different intakes. But it was on the same dyno. So interesting so see for arguments sake. Drew mainly has ignition timing changes in his tune I believe. Where my AED tune has a lot more changes, including cam timing changes.

Again, just for curiosity sake...
graphportcjstockintake_zpsa03ea98d.jpg

Soon we will be back on the dyno to compare the stock intake to the ported CJ intake. As well as some air filter changes. And hopefully some throttle body results the are clear.

az20115.0

Established Member
Tuned I for this one, I almost pulled the trigger on this today, but I'm waiting till ford racing comes out with the cai at the end of the month so I don't pay an arm and a leg for a custom fabricated one.. Bought my gt 500 tb today, so getting the ball rolling

How do you know the cai is coming out at the end of the month

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
How do you know the cai is coming out at the end of the month

thats what frpp told me when i called them a few weeks ago "the said end of august early sept.. but im inpatient and i ended up having OP, 01bluesnake fab me up one of his own, and he'll be porting my cj mani as well.. very excited :banana:

az20115.0

Established Member
thats what frpp told me when i called them a few weeks ago "the said end of august early sept.. but im inpatient and i ended up having OP, 01bluesnake fab me up one of his own, and he'll be porting my cj mani as well.. very excited :banana:

Cool, I hope they told you the truth

BTW, Comp Stage 3 cams are on sale at American Muscle.. $1199
I think I will order them next week
Then will do the CJ after that..

Last edited:

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

i wouldbt bet on it 100% with all the set backs and other little flaws that have been popping up here and there with the cj stuff... that why i went with op's intake, im sure it will be right there in #'s.

but wow thats a really great price.. to bad install is the price of what the's normally would cost.. i wish i could do cams and hit 500 but its gonna have to wait, and gonna have to look in to more whether comp or custom grind is the way to go.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

Yea with the discount code they are 1,127$ shipped. Its a very good deal and I thought about buying them just want to keep my car complete stock longblock for now.

az20115.0

Established Member
Seriously considering getting those soon.. I've been talking to GraySmokeHatch who really wants to see someone go custom.. I would like to, but I don't have an unlimited budget so if a good deal comes along, its probably a good idea to jump on it

gottoast

Established Member
Looking good! When will you be on the dyno?

20130815_192136 by spaded707, on Flickr

Shaun will be tuning mine on his dyno on the 31st on 91oct and E85.

Can someone who has done the install break down a parts list of what is needed? (minus the CAI install of course as that is up in the air) or is it as simple as what is pictured here?

Thanks-
Khris

Last edited:

specizripn

Established Member
Can someone who has done the install break down a parts list of what is needed? (minus the CAI install of course as that is up in the air) or is it as simple as what is pictured here?

Thanks-
Khris

Manifold, throttle body, and intake. The problem is the intakes aren't really on the market yet so you have to fab one up.

gottoast

Established Member
As simple as whats in the picture.
What is the harness on the ground? Is that the Boss Manifold kit that you can buy for the Boss manifold install?

Do you need to modify anything to the wiring harness or anything like that?

Thanks again..
Khris

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
What is the harness on the ground? Is that the Boss Manifold kit that you can buy for the Boss manifold install?

Do you need to modify anything to the wiring harness or anything like that?

Thanks again..
Khris

The harness on the ground comes with the cj intake its for the oval throttle body haveing 2 electrical connections.

Thats the only modification besides the extending the wires for the purge solinoid. Yea its the boss install kit minus the air inlet tube.

86merc

Established Member
I thought I would update the thread some. I made it out to the track this Saturday for a local club track day. It was not a good day on several fronts. First off it was over 82 degrees with a DA over 2500' most of the day. A storm was moving in so we had steady 22 mph winds with gusts upwards of 30 mpg. Not ideal by any means! lol

I also have a clutch or salve cylinder issue. Now my clutch engages about a 1/2" above the floor. It is not disengaging the clutch much at all. I have a hard time just getting the trans in first gear at a stop light. It takes several pumps of the clutch and HEAVY pushing on the shifter. I finally have a trans related issue. I am not happy! haha And shifting over 7,500 just wasn't happening. It is brutal just shifting the car driving down the road. Forget about power shifting like I normally can. The 3-4 shift was painfully slow to get it in gear. It was a frustrating day to say the least!

Anyways, my previous best with the stock intake and throttle body and Airaid cold air kit I went 11.44 @ 116. This was in a -500 DA and headwind. This corrected to a 11.48 @ 115.7 at sea level.

I started my launch RPM at the same 5,300 rpm it was with the stock intake when it went 1.57 to the 60'. I knew it would be low considering the CJ intake loses torque down low. But I figured start there and keep going up until I had traction issues. With my issues and 2656' DA my best pass from Saturday was 11.63 @ 115. This corrected to sea level was 11.26 @ 119. And this was on a 5,700 rpm launch with worse 60' than with my best stock intake pass. 1.63 versus 1.57. But with every bump in launch rpm the 60' times improved. I have a feeling I will be launching this combo over 6,000 rpm to get my best 60' times.

So even though the time slip doesn't look that great it does show promise once you look at the whole picture. I think there is promise in this combo once I get the 60' times back down around 1.55, get a better DA and the clutch/slave cylinder issue fixed. I think the car should be able to go 11.teens, if not slightly better.

20130523_235247_zpsc3caf353.jpg

20130928_185124_zpsa11c401a.jpg

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
The clutch, or what ever it is, issue really pissed me off. I want to make it out Sunday as the weather should be much better. But if I can't shift like I normally can it doesn't make it easy to compare. I hope I can do something about it by then.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The clutch, or what ever it is, issue really pissed me off. I want to make it out Sunday as the weather should be much better. But if I can't shift like I normally can it doesn't make it easy to compare. I hope I can do something about it by then.

Are you getting lock out of 2nd and 3rd when shifting high?

Deranged2013

Established Member
I thought*I would update the thread some. I made it out to the track this Saturday for a local club track day. It was not a good day on several fronts. First off it was over 82 degrees with a DA over 2500' most of the day. A storm was moving in so we had steady 22 mph winds with gusts upwards of 30 mph. Not ideal by any means! lol*

I also have a clutch or salve cylinder issue. Now my clutch engages about a 1/2" above the floor. It is not disengaging the clutch much at all. I have a hard time just getting the trans in first gear at a stop light. It takes several pumps of the clutch and HEAVY pushing on the shifter. I finally have a trans related issue. I am not happy! haha And shifting over 7,500 just wasn't happening. It is brutal just shifting the car driving down the road. Forget about power shifting like I normally can. The 3-4 shift was painfully slow to get it in gear. It was a frustrating day to say the least!*

Anyways, my previous best with the stock intake and throttle body and Airaid cold air kit I went 11.44 @ 116. This was in a -500 DA and headwind. This corrected to a 11.48 @ 115.7 at sea level.*

I started my launch RPM at the same 5,300 rpm it was with the stock intake when it went 1.57 to the 60'. I knew it would be low considering the CJ intake loses torque down low. But I figured start there and keep going up until I had traction issues. With my issues and 2656' DA my best pass from Saturday was 11.63 @ 115. This corrected to sea level was 11.26 @ 119. And this was on a 5,700 rpm launch with worse 60' than with my best stock intake pass. 1.63 versus 1.57. But with every bump in launch rpm the 60' times improved. I have a feeling I will be launching this combo over 6,000 rpm to get my best 60' times.

So even though the time slip doesn't look that great it does show promise once you look at the whole picture. I think there is promise in this combo once I get the 60' times back down around 1.55, get a better DA and the clutch/slave cylinder issue fixed. I think the car should be able to go 11.teens, if not slightly better.

20130523_235247_zpsc3caf353.jpg

20130928_185124_zpsa11c401a.jpg

Very good numbers considering the DA and your clutch issues. I would love to see what you can do with good weather, an RXT clutch, and aluminum flywheel.

Users who are viewing this thread