Cobra Jet manifold reworking

Voltwings

Established Member
Still new to the 5.0 platform (don't actually own one yet, just doing a LOT of reading), but have been following the coyote since its release.

Isnt the point of the CJ manifold to make more horsepower at higher rpms? I can certainly see the benefits of a setup like this spinning to 7500-8000+ rpms, but at the same rpms a Boss manifold functions at... it seems a bit pointless to spend the extra money?

This is certainly a setup I would want on my car, but im struggling to see the immediate gains. Not trying to sound like a Debbie downer by any means, its a tremendous amount of effort you guys are putting in, just looking for some more clarification, thanks.

Deranged2013

Established Member
Still new to the 5.0 platform (don't actually own one yet, just doing a LOT of reading), but have been following the coyote since its release.

Isnt the point of the CJ manifold to make more horsepower at higher rpms? I can certainly see the benefits of a setup like this spinning to 7500-8000+ rpms, but at the same rpms a Boss manifold functions at... it seems a bit pointless to spend the extra money?

This is certainly a setup I would want on my car, but im struggling to see the immediate gains. Not trying to sound like a Debbie downer by any means, its a tremendous amount of effort you guys are putting in, just looking for some more clarification, thanks.

The area where the TB bolts onto the CJ Manifold has a larger oval style opening that can flow much higher CFM than the Boss manifold and the throttle body options for the CJ also flow much higher than any of the TBs that can be ran on the Boss Manifold. Even if you ported the Boss Manifold, it would still be more restrictive than the CJ.

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
Are you getting lock out of 2nd and 3rd when shifting high?

It is so bad that when at a stand still I have to clutch pedal to the floor and I have to fight to get the trans in first or reverse. Driving normal the trans will grind gears from time to time and it's getting worse. If I have the pedal a half inch off the floor and it WILL NOT go into any gear. My engagement used to be about 1/2 to 3/4 way up on the clutch pedal travel. It worked great. Now it is literally right off the floor. It has to be a fluid, slave cylinder, throw out bearing or clutch issue. If not more than just one of them. I do not think it is a trans related issue. Although if this continues it is gonna ruin some syncros. I called the dealer and it is going in as soon as they get a loaner back tomorrow or the next day.

Very good numbers considering the DA and your clutch issues. I would love to see what you can do with good weather, an RXT clutch, and aluminum flywheel.

It may be getting a clutch and flywheel sooner than I expected. lol I would like to put a light weight set up in the car. I think it will just mean I need to launch at a higher rpm with it. I just have to decide on a clutch. I am scared of a twin disk because of complaints of noise and chatter with them. This is my daily driver after all.

The Boss makes small gains in HP and loses torque down low and in the midrange. It seems there is small gains with it where ET is concerned. It is not too expensive at $500, roughly. They CJ in expensive but does show better gains over the Boss. I think the more mods you have, like headers & exhaust, improve these numbers. I figured there is about a 40 rwhp peak increase over the stock intake. With gains across almost the whole horse power band. And the trade of of torque is about the same as the Boss. If not slightly less loss than the Boss.

I think the Boss may be good for a tenth or tenth and a half at most. Some guys have a hard time matching their best ET with the stock intake. Where as the CJ set up I expect most people to gain a couple tenths. Maybe three tenths or more once they get as much out of it as they can.

The problem is that Ford gave us a damn good motor to begin with. It is optimized pretty well. So most bolt ons are not gonna give us big power gains. Although the CJ gives great numbers it is costly at the moment. It will be interesting to see what other intakes come out down the road.

Voltwings

Established Member
The Boss makes small gains in HP and loses torque down low and in the midrange. It seems there is small gains with it where ET is concerned. It is not too expensive at $500, roughly. They CJ in expensive but does show better gains over the Boss. I think the more mods you have, like headers & exhaust, improve these numbers. I figured there is about a 40 rwhp peak increase over the stock intake. With gains across almost the whole horse power band. And the trade of of torque is about the same as the Boss. If not slightly less loss than the Boss.

I think the Boss may be good for a tenth or tenth and a half at most. Some guys have a hard time matching their best ET with the stock intake. Where as the CJ set up I expect most people to gain a couple tenths. Maybe three tenths or more once they get as much out of it as they can.

The problem is that Ford gave us a damn good motor to begin with. It is optimized pretty well. So most bolt ons are not gonna give us big power gains. Although the CJ gives great numbers it is costly at the moment. It will be interesting to see what other intakes come out down the road.

Ahhh, I was just getting hung up on peak numbers (duh, should have known better), but when you put it like this it does make a lot more sense. Plus its just damn sexy, almost reason enough haha.

/threadjack, carry on folks.

86merc

Established Member
The Boss is a great looking intake as well. I know people who swapped to them for the looks alone.

But yes, the gains in performance are there with the CJ intake set up. But the performance versus the cost may hold many people from upgrading to it. No doubt about that.

Ratchet

Established Member
The Boss is a great looking intake as well. I know people who swapped to them for the looks alone.

But yes, the gains in performance are there with the CJ intake set up. But the performance versus the cost may hold many people from upgrading to it. No doubt about that.

I swapped to it for the looks knowing I wouldn't gain much power wise... and now that I'm on my second transmission and don't feel like pushing my luck warranty wise... I'm going to swap back to stock and maybe get an aluminum DS to get a bit of gain back (if any) or maybe just do a set of coilovers and get my stock shocks and struts out of there. lol :beer:

Rdrcr

Established Member

ford20

Established Member
Kdanner has been testing it before it was released. He ran a 10.66 @ 126 with it and now he is testing the actual CJ intake. He was saying that ID was 4" while the CJ is 5" ID

1173806_10152258823228712_400138338_n.jpg

Deranged2013

Established Member
Kdanner has been testing it before it was released. He ran a 10.66 @ 126 with it and now he is testing the actual CJ intake. He was saying that ID was 4" while the CJ is 5" ID

1173806_10152258823228712_400138338_n.jpg

Looks good. I'd like to see back to back dynos with this cai compared to some of the other custom cai's that have been tested so far.

ford20

Established Member
The only thing that really bothers me about this tube is that by the coolant overflow tank you can see the intake tube dented in a little bit to accommodate for it.

Yagermeister

Established Member
In the catalog and available are two different items...I'm number 2 on the backorder list behind Tiger Racing... release changed from September 25 to October 14 now.

Yagermeister

Established Member
They are only selling...or will be selling rather...the 4.5"od/4"id one that seems based on a 2010 Airaid one. The 5" is not available to the public.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

ford20

Established Member
Which one is the 4 in ID and which one is the 5 in ID?

The 4" one is the FRPP?Airraid unit while the 5" one is the actual tube and 123mm MAF from the Cobra Jet

1381383_10152306506433712_1716077221_n.jpg

These are form his car so that you guys can see what I am talking about as I am not the best at explaining things at times.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The 4" one is the FRPP?Airraid unit while the 5" one is the actual tube and 123mm MAF from the Cobra Jet

1381383_10152306506433712_1716077221_n.jpg

These are form his car so that you guys can see what I am talking about as I am not the best at explaining things at times.

Now it makes sense, thanks for clearing it up. I saw the first picture you posted and saw it was the FRPP tube and was trying to figure out how that was the 5 inch one lol.

The 5 inch CJ setup is really nice but extremely expensive if you try and buy it.

-Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread