Cobra Jet manifold reworking

SCalla1384

Established Member
Very interested to see! Some good data here. To bad it wasn't easy enough to test a boss intake at the track, then same day the CJ intake.

Keep it up guys! Very helpful stuff so far!

01bluesnake

Established Member
I'll have some graphs with overlays up shortly, but we will be getting back on the dyno with more accurate results from a stock to ported CJ setup, possibly the boss as well. I'll explain the graphs I post, but the best one and most accurate of the day was definitely the cleaned up CJ vs stock CJ. That graph was posted on the previous page.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Cleaned up CJ picked up nicely. It's kind of annoying they don't come "cleaner" or smoother from ford racing. Considering how much it costs plus supporting mods.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Here's a few graph's, using mine for a better comparison since we will need to get back out and swap the stock and possibly Boss many on Mikes car. At that time, hopefully we can do some more accurate T body test. All these runs are also using the same cam timing.

Now i will note, my power is lower than Mikes as my car was just up and running and didn't focus on dialing in cam timing since we were more focused on his car being the test mule lol.

This is my runs in STD
CJportSTD_zps100dc157.jpg

My runs in SAE
CJportSAE_zps282da41c.jpg

This is my stock intake/stock air box vs the Ported CJ setup
PortedCJvsstockIntake_zpscb721142.jpg

This is the stock intake vs boss & AirRaid vs ported CJ

stockvsprtCJvsBoss_zps23abc41f.jpg

Last edited:

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Here's a few graph's, using mine for a better comparison since we will need to get back out and swap the stock and possibly Boss many on Mikes car. At that time, hopefully we can do some more accurate T body test. All these runs are also using the same cam timing.

Now i will note, my power is lower than Mikes as my car was just up and running and didn't focus on dialing in cam timing since we were more focused on his car being the test mule lol.

This is my runs in STD
CJportSTD_zps100dc157.jpg

My runs in SAE
CJportSAE_zps282da41c.jpg

This is my stock intake/stock air box vs the Ported CJ setup
PortedCJvsstockIntake_zpscb721142.jpg

This is the stock intake vs boss & AirRaid vs ported CJ

stockvsprtCJvsBoss_zps23abc41f.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Longtubes and proper cam timing will get you above 450 STD. Where was your spark? I made 463 STD on 91 with 4.5'' CAI, unported CJ, SCJ TB and full exhaust. That was with about 27 total (splash of torco in it). Obviously different dynos, but maybe longtubes are needed for 450 on pump. PBH made 443 STD on 93 with your combo unported and with a dual 65. I was hoping you'd be around 450 with porting and a 4.5 CAI. Have JLT ship you a 4.5x9 filter to test.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Thanks for sharing. Longtubes and proper cam timing will get you above 450 STD. Where was your spark? I made 463 STD on 91 with 4.5'' CAI, unported CJ, SCJ TB and full exhaust. That was with about 27 total (splash of torco in it). Obviously different dynos, but maybe longtubes are needed for 450 on pump. PBH made 443 STD on 93 with your combo unported and with a dual 65. I was hoping you'd be around 450 with porting and a 4.5 CAI. Have JLT ship you a 4.5x9 filter to test.

Ya, cam timing is definitely the power difference here as we both logged about 28 degrees of overall timing on the dyno on 93. I have no doubt that headers would definitely bump the power up and with cam timing 30whp could be a viable gain. I could also pick up a few more just leaning out the AFR some as its a little on the rich side. I'm in the works now trying to get a tune through Shaun@AED, will see what he says. It's been getting harder and harder to find time to work and tune my own car, and think i'm ready to get one of his tunes which will be amazing no doubt. I've been looking at different filter options but really like the filter due to it being the Amsoil Ea nanofiber technology which uses no oil and flows a very good amount over oil gauze type filters.

86merc

Established Member
I have 8 & 9 inch long K&N filters coming to test. But they do not have the nice radius inlets like the one we currently have. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

*edit* Drew's post was not there when I went to post

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
I was looking at a velocity stack separate from the filter which would allow a bigger filter to be tested while still utilizing very good flow through the maf area while not causing air turbulence from a sharp edge type filter. Maybe i'll order a new filter and the velocity stack tomorrow for next testing.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Nice graphs. I think the bigger filter and proper cam timing it will be 450~rwhp.

What happened with the TB tests? Why so inconsistant?

01bluesnake

Established Member
Nice graphs. I think the bigger filter and proper cam timing it will be 450~rwhp.

What happened with the TB tests? Why so inconsistant?

I guess we will see how much HP a bigger filter setup will bring. This time i was able to get an Amsoil filter EAAU6080, 6" opening 8" length, same used as a drop in for the GT500 guys on the boards. I just hope the measurements listed for the V-stacks i ordered were correct lol. The TB test were not accurate due to small HP changes in his dyno charts providing varying results for both as they were that close in numbers. One of the lowest he had was with the dual blade, but then one of the highest he had was with the dual blade lol.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yup, everything except the old intake. I had FRPP warranty it again and gave him the new. Looking forward to it, Thomas.

Same here, ready for shaun to work his magic!

Cant wait man. Goodluck hope it makes great numbers.

Thanks when its all said and done ill have a boss intake vs CJ thread with my gains/numbers.

-Thomas

blackcoyote13

Established Member
Looks like a substantial torque loss over the stock IM, with nice gains only at the top end. Catless might be the way to go for a win-win DD.

Users who are viewing this thread