Cobra Jet manifold reworking

nordy racer

Established Member
from a stock intake and stock TB (bolt ons listed below) the car made 412.8 to the wheels. we installed a CJ intake, Mono Blade TB and a RevAuto 5in CAI and Adam was able to pull out 434RWHP. the problem we are running into is the Auto will NOT rev pass 7700RPM. So the car is still pulling up to the soft limiter then hitting a wall. Adam is hard at work trying to figure this out. Stick cars DO NOT have this problem.. This is on 93 pump gas too..

haven't really looked how the TQ is because we are switching out the 373 gears to 430..

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
from a stock intake and stock TB (bolt ons listed below) the car made 412.8 to the wheels. we installed a CJ intake, Mono Blade TB and a RevAuto 5in CAI and Adam was able to pull out 434RWHP. the problem we are running into is the Auto will NOT rev pass 7700RPM. So the car is still pulling up to the soft limiter then hitting a wall. Adam is hard at work trying to figure this out. Stick cars DO NOT have this problem.. This is on 93 pump gas too..

haven't really looked how the TQ is because we are switching out the 373 gears to 430..

The real question is how does it do at the strip? Have you had a chance to compare it with the stocker in the 1/4? And in not that, any noticeable effect on the butt dyno?

I'm about to pull the trigger, but dying to know if its worth it not?

nordy racer

Established Member
The real question is how does it do at the strip? Have you had a chance to compare it with the stocker in the 1/4? And in not that, any noticeable effect on the butt dyno?

I'm about to pull the trigger, but dying to know if its worth it not?

this install was done this week. our tracks are closed right now and MIR will be hosting a rental next month. I will be there when the gates open.. its not going to be a real comparison due to my gear swap BUT if I can get a 10.99 out of the car I don't care lol..

corysmach1

Established Member
The intake will be Drews V.2 yes. He has been considering a V.3 with a 5" setup. Which is this is going to be done. Ill be comparing Drews current intake to Rev Autos. The car used will basically be a full bolt on boss 302.

Kooks 1 3/4 headers
Offroad 3" X
Custom 3" pipes
Bassani Mufflers
Meziere EWP
Lightweight drivetrain work
Ported CJ Manifold
Monoblade
Drews Intake/Rev Autos Intake
AED Tunes for both

The car made 450-455whp / 390-395wtq as a low-high with the untouched boss intake / stock tb / c&l 78mm air tube.

My guess is there will be no more then a 5whp difference between both intakes. I will be making multiple runs with each intake at all difference oil/coolant temps.

And yes the monoblade is the highest flowing TB.

Cant wait to see the difference between the CAI's.

dennisn

Established Member

Hmmmm, this is what I was hoping to make on mine. I wasn't even close.

Best pull was a 403 rwhp don't remember the torque. Guy said to consider my 390hp 351tq pull the realistic number(was my first pull). full bolt ons only I'm running stock 315 gears. (on a dynojet) Needless to say I was not happy with the results. Power peaked at 6500 the guy dyno'n it stopped the pull at 7000 due to hp dropping off. I'm curious on how guys are dyno'n these autos. Running in selectshift to keep it in 4th gear? I know car runs different than in reg drive. The 403 was in regular drive. 390 in selectshift mode It'll be a while before I can get it to the track to see what I picked up on et/mph.

Last edited:

tj4891

Established Member
i do know revolution auto make their own intakes for the cjs here are some pics of them and some prices , 450 for the intake and if u want it paint to match its a extra 100 and they are trying to work out a deal to get them powder coated just gloss black for people that don't want stainless or paint to match but you can contact for more info ...... if this has been covered sorry just glanced thought the thread but thought this might help some. i have a cj waiting to go on mine, cant wait!!!!

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
the design is similar to the MMR coyote intake(which can be ordered with the oval t.b. opening)
why wouldnt you just buy the MMR piece since price is similar and finished product quality is much better?

nordy racer

Established Member
Hmmmm, this is what I was hoping to make on mine. I wasn't even close.

Best pull was a 403 rwhp don't remember the torque. Guy said to consider my 390hp 351tq pull the realistic number(was my first pull). full bolt ons only I'm running stock 315 gears. (on a dynojet) Needless to say I was not happy with the results. Power peaked at 6500 the guy dyno'n it stopped the pull at 7000 due to hp dropping off. I'm curious on how guys are dyno'n these autos. Running in selectshift to keep it in 4th gear? I know car runs different than in reg drive. The 403 was in regular drive. 390 in selectshift mode It'll be a while before I can get it to the track to see what I picked up on et/mph.

I was really wishing for 440RWHP but these autos really eat up the HP. I don't know how Adam dyno's the car. I think he wants it in 4th. i'll ask him the next time I stop by the shop. These numbers were also on a DynoJet.

the photos that TJ posted above. mine is the blue one :)

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
the design is similar to the MMR coyote intake(which can be ordered with the oval t.b. opening)
why wouldnt you just buy the MMR piece since price is similar and finished product quality is much better?

Probably because its more than double the price..

goat-ee

Established Member
Well here we go!! I saw this SCJ Monoblade Throttle body on eBay M 9926 SCJ Cobra Jet Throttle Body Shelby GT500 Mustang Mono Blade Ford Racing | eBay . I didn't want to pay the buy it now of $500. Ended up bidding $432. Didn't win the auction. Very quickly after the end of auction the guy sent me a Second Chance offer for the $432 I had bid M 9926 SCJ Cobra Jet Throttle Body Shelby GT500 Mustang Mono Blade Ford Racing | eBay . I jumped on it, so I am now the proud owner of a SCJ TB.

I have no choice but to go crazy with the rest now!! If anyone knows of a used intake, 5" CAI, etc. let me know!!! Always looking to save a few bucks, but I want the best stuff too.

Of course I will have AED tune the combo, can't wait to see it!!

Last edited:

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Well here we go!! I saw this SCJ Monoblade Throttle body on eBay M 9926 SCJ Cobra Jet Throttle Body Shelby GT500 Mustang Mono Blade Ford Racing | eBay . I didn't want to pay the buy it now of $500. Ended up bidding $432. Didn't win the auction. Very quickly after the end of auction the guy sent me a Second Chance offer for the $432 I had bid M 9926 SCJ Cobra Jet Throttle Body Shelby GT500 Mustang Mono Blade Ford Racing | eBay . I jumped on it, so I am now the proud owner of a SCJ TB.

I have no choice but to go crazy with the rest now!! If anyone knows of a used intake, 5" CAI, etc. let me know!!! Always looking to save a few bucks, but I want the best stuff too.

Of course I will have AED tune the combo, can't wait to see it!!

You hit a homerun with that TB….Good find!

blackcoyote13

Established Member
Are the larger fuel injectors required for the CJ setup? Anybody have a dyno plot of the power band with the SCJ TB, Ford CAI and CJ intake?

EJR

Established Member
For the record... we wont have these results for a while as weather will be an issue at this time of year (Rhode Island).. and the car being tested on doesnt drive in salt/sand/etc. You will likely first see some results with the Rev Auto Intake. Then on another day ill do a back to back test of both

rmm_dds16

I just ordered the CJ intake manifold and SCJ monoblade throttle body from Steve @ Tasca last night. Also ordered the CJ cold air intake from Ford Racing and they said it should be shipped out in March. Would love to see some dyno results from those who have already installed these parts. I have Kooks headers and off road X pipe along with the Roush ABs. Thanks for all the info so far and hope to hear from some of you soon!

Grabberblumaico

Established Member
The quality is very poor of the Ford CJ Manifold. Deep 1/8 wide X 1/8" wide mismaches in the runners. Burrs at mounting edges. I would take my time deburring, cleaning, etc before installing..

EJR

Established Member
My car is currently running with the base tune. Im just waiting on the weather to cooperate. Most likely going to tow the car to the dyno to get some data logs to AED. Here are some pics of the setup all finished
IMG_0067_zpsf47ca903.gif

IMG_0069_zps4faae69f.gif

IMG_0074_zpsf55eef5c.gif

IMG_0073_zpsa4193e9c.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread