Cobra Jet manifold reworking

yngrshr

Established Member
Really curious how an auto without a stall would do with the CJ IM. I'm really debating whether or not to go with a CJ IM (and bolt-ons --> Rev Auto CAI, monoblade TB, LTs - with cats, and suspension mods) or go with a blower.

goat-ee

Established Member
Really curious how an auto without a stall would do with the CJ IM. I'm really debating whether or not to go with a CJ IM (and bolt-ons --> Rev Auto CAI, monoblade TB, LTs - with cats, and suspension mods) or go with a blower.

I will have this exact combo soon (except LT's) and will be posting up the results as soon as I have them. The hard part is going to be getting the weather to cooperate at a drag strip to get numbers!! :cuss:

sinistr302

Established Member

Im trying to figure out the same thing. I guess we'll know here soon enough.

twistedneck

Established Member
JohnRichard that setup looks amazing... i'm convinced this intake is light-years ahead of the boss, and porting it makes it that much better.

Just put my setup together and got it on the dyno, its makng big power but there is a small issue - new combo is cj intake / scj tb / 01bluesnake custom CAI.

Although my new numbers uncorrected - 468 hp / 407 tq are a huge step up from the boss im / 85mm tb / jlt of 440 HP / 372 TQ, there is a huge flat spot at 6300-6900 rpm now. looks like there is a lot of gains not realized up top, any ideas? does anyone else have a dyno curve like this with the cj mani?

Shaun has the air fuel dialed in, but due to my not being anywhere near California we are not doing as much with the vct tune optimization - I left that same as it was before with the old boss intake setup - there was no flat spot with that intake tho.

dyno3.jpg

here is an overlay of the old boss intake setup vs the new cj setup. I manually cut and pasted so its not exact but you can at least see the curve shapes. also, i'm on e85 now that was a 0HP gain (we checked). more for safety so the af looks different.

overlay.jpg

drew-cai.jpg

dyno run with numbers at the end.

5 0L Making Power NA Style! - YouTube

Last edited:

nosscort

Established Member
^ needs a remote session to fully get the vct optimized.. but the gains look good so far

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
JohnRichard that setup looks amazing... i'm convinced this intake is light-years ahead of the boss, and porting it makes it that much better.

Just put my setup together and got it on the dyno, its makng big power but there is a small issue - new combo is cj intake / scj tb / 01bluesnake custom CAI.

Although my new numbers uncorrected - 467 HP /398 TQ are a huge step up from the boss im / 85mm tb / jlt of 440 HP / 372 TQ, there is a huge flat spot at 6300-6900 rpm now. looks like there is a lot of gains not realized up top, any ideas? does anyone else have a dyno curve like this with the cj mani?

Shaun has the air fuel dialed in, but due to my not being anywhere near California we are not doing as much with the vct tune optimization - I left that same as it was before with the old boss intake setup - there was no flat spot with that intake tho.

dyno3.jpg

here is an overlay of the old boss intake setup vs the new cj setup. I manually cut and pasted so its not exact but you can at least see the curve shapes. also, i'm on e85 now that was a 0HP gain (we checked). more for safety so the af looks different.

overlay.jpg

drew-cai.jpg

Any port or clean-up work done to the CJ and Boss?…curious about the comparison. :beer:

EJR

Established Member

Although my new numbers uncorrected - 467 HP /398 TQ are a huge step up from the boss im / 85mm tb / jlt of 440 HP / 372 TQ, there is a huge flat spot at 6300-6900 rpm now. looks like there is a lot of gains not realized up top, any ideas? does anyone else have a dyno curve like this with the cj mani?

dyno3.jpg

overlay.jpg

drew-cai.jpg

Nice gains... im still on the base tune but my WOT is likely optimized short of the TIVCT. And mine does the same thing as yours does. Im actually going to Rev Auto in May to have them finish Shauns tune (they are working that out) since im on the east coast. Im hoping to have them grab some gains after 7k. But to show you my differences between the 2... here you go

1610075_10152213871358139_1775663370_n_zpsf5da6f95.gif

Last edited:

corysmach1

Established Member

dyno3.jpg

overlay.jpg

drew-cai.jpg

467-398 is about what I would expect? Whats your FULL MOD LIST? Did you say gou gained 0 hp on E85 tune?

EJR

Established Member
curious as to mods as well.

Also any track experience with the car?

Last edited:

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
467-398 is about what I would expect? Whats your FULL MOD LIST? Did you say gou gained 0 hp on E85 tune?

My understanding is E85 with our NA builds adds in protection mainly, i think Shaun may have picked up a FEW hp in another build with E85 but im certain its to prevent kaboom LOL!

twistedneck

Established Member
^ needs a remote session to fully get the vct optimized.. but the gains look good so far

Agree, eventually that is the plan.

Any port or clean-up work done to the CJ and Boss?…curious about the comparison. :beer:

Minor clean up in the weld line area on the back side of the port on the boss, bone stock on the cobra jet.

Nice gains... im still on the base tune but my WOT is likely optimized short of the TIVCT. And mine does the same thing as yours does. Im actually going to Rev Auto in May to have them finish Shauns tune (they are working that out) since im on the east coast. Im hoping to have them grab some gains after 7k. But to show you my differences between the 2

very interesting, yours also seems to have a dead spot then pick back up.. I shut down about 7350 rpm and your pull goes to 8k. glad I got to compare now I don't feel anything is wrong.. just character of the engine.

Yes, I actuall lost HP w e85. however these are uncorrected numbers.. SAE on the last run was 407 tq / 478 hp. I like the way it sounds, smells, and protects my engine so its 100% e85 for my ride. I only lost a few HP so its more like I didn't gain. I don't know if we can push more than 30 degrees of timing, that's where I am now on my AED tune. I assume no.

My mods are stock short block with mmr billet oil pump gears, boss heads and cj cams, kooks 1-3/4" headers, and the intake / tb / cai shown above. same Mustang dyno bone stock was 367HP, 365tq. I did one 1/4 mile day, muggy hot 3500' DA day, burning the tires to a 2 second 60' pulled a 12.0 @ 120.

Here is my current 'base' cobra jet cam schedule. its slightly different than the base GT because its got longer exhaust cam duration. Ford guys worked with me on this cam schedule and said its a good solid starting point. I also have the real 13 NA cj one, and this follows it exactly from a macro perspective but its the micro adjustments every 500 rpm that really wakes up the tune..

Doing this again i'd probably go with custom cams from one of the big guys with more duration, only because the CJ's are just big boss cams in that year, now the cj cams are bigger duration for 14. at 0.050" life i'm like 210 / 230, the comps are 242 / 242, and I've seen bigger. now lift, the 13mm / 13mm is pretty much the top. I have no intention of swapping pistons and rods until I sell this long block and build a 5.2L setup for CPRsm's turbo kit. so I went with the more street cams and heads. Boss are 193cc vs . big 210cc ported heads would make more power for sure. as it is, this car wants to zing past 7500 instantly.

Rpm Int. cl Ex. Cl Deg. Intake cam advanced from home position Deg. Ex. Cam retarded from home position
2000 99 126 40 12
2500 89 108 50 30
3000 89 108 50 30
3500 89 108 50 30
4000 89 108 50 30
4500 89 108 50 30
5000 97 108 42 30
5500 105 108 34 30
6000 111 110 28 28
6500 115 110 24 28
7000 123 112 16 26
7250 123 112 16 26
7500 123 112 16 26

Last edited:

EJR

Established Member
Agree, eventually that is the plan.

Minor clean up in the weld line area on the back side of the port on the boss, bone stock on the cobra jet.

very interesting, yours also seems to have a dead spot then pick back up.. I shut down about 7350 rpm and your pull goes to 8k. glad I got to compare now I don't feel anything is wrong.. just character of the engine.

Yes, I actuall lost HP w e85. however these are uncorrected numbers.. SAE on the last run was 407 tq / 478 hp. I like the way it sounds, smells, and protects my engine so its 100% e85 for my ride. I only lost a few HP so its more like I didn't gain. I don't know if we can push more than 30 degrees of timing, that's where I am now on my AED tune. I assume no.

My mods are stock short block with mmr billet oil pump gears, boss heads and cj cams, kooks 1-3/4" headers, and the intake / tb / cai shown above. same Mustang dyno bone stock was 367HP, 365tq. I did one 1/4 mile day, muggy hot 3500' DA day, burning the tires to a 2 second 60' pulled a 12.0 @ 120.

Here is my current 'base' cobra jet cam schedule. its slightly different than the base GT because its got longer exhaust cam duration. Ford guys worked with me on this cam schedule and said its a good solid starting point. I also have the real 13 NA cj one, and this follows it exactly from a macro perspective but its the micro adjustments every 500 rpm that really wakes up the tune..

Doing this again i'd probably go with custom cams from one of the big guys with more duration, only because the CJ's are just big boss cams in that year, now the cj cams are bigger duration for 14. at 0.050" life i'm like 210 / 230, the comps are 242 / 242, and I've seen bigger. now lift, the 13mm / 13mm is pretty much the top. I have no intention of swapping pistons and rods until I sell this long block and build a 5.2L setup for CPRsm's turbo kit. so I went with the more street cams and heads. Boss are 193cc vs . big 210cc ported heads would make more power for sure. as it is, this car wants to zing past 7500 instantly.

Rpm Int. cl Ex. Cl Deg. Intake cam advanced from home position Deg. Ex. Cam retarded from home position
2000 99 126 40 12
2500 89 108 50 30
3000 89 108 50 30
3500 89 108 50 30
4000 89 108 50 30
4500 89 108 50 30
5000 97 108 42 30
5500 105 108 34 30
6000 111 110 28 28
6500 115 110 24 28
7000 123 112 16 26
7250 123 112 16 26
7500 123 112 16 26

To be honest... i like the exhaust CJ cam... the intake cam is a joke however. Im looking to switch up to stage 3 intake cams and a CJ exhaust cam. I like the split/specs personally. And no doubt you should be buzzing yours higher then that. Even if you dont pick up power... its about area under the curve through the gears. Also, I see no reason to swap heads to the big port ones. You are talking about extremelely minimal gains over the Boss head. I would play with cams personally. I was given some flow numbers of the Boss heads and they flowed very similar to the stage 1 RGR heads. However, the stock cams are so small, you will see such minimal difference between a boss head and a coyote head.

Users who are viewing this thread