Cobra Jet intake going on stockish auto 5.0!!

scotmach

Established Member
That's exactly how mine is, you just can't see both hoses going to the pipe.

Oh okay, thanks. The one I can't see I was referring to has the yellow clip on it. That could have been eliminated for the manual setup but it all works the same in the end.

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
I love my cj setup. Same day dyno numbers, I went 420/370-->444/386.. Running the dual 65mm right now.

my 2014 gt auto. I have gt lift frpp CJ exh cams and twin 65mm and a custom JLT CAI I built and 1 7/8 Longtubes

We finally dynoed the ovum gas/street tune yesterday and on DynoJet it made 455rwhp(corrected) thru a auto with 4,500 stall and 28" x275pro drag radials

You are going to have fun when u get yours done!

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
that's with cams?

Yes but safe street pump gas tune
Not a aggressive race tune
This exact combo and tune on another car Lund tuned in Cali made 472rwhp on pump gas. He said the drag radials can eat a little hp on dyno and my buddies dyno is a little stingy.(my old 2011 made 25 more hp on another shops dyno than his)

goat-ee

Established Member
Well the weather cooperated with my time off with work, so I finally got the part-throttle logs sent to AED. Shaun quickly replied that they looked close, and that I could go ahead with a WOT log. So I did that and sent the WOT log already. He just sent me back the final tune. Going to download it to the car now. Cold weather is back on our doorstep again here in the midwest so probably won't be able to get to the dragstrip real soon. But I like that the car will be ready whenever the weather is.

The only issue with the tune that I have come up with, is that the idle is a little higher than I would like. It's about 750rpm. Nothing crazy, but just enough that it does pull a little against the brakes at stoplights. Shaun told me that due to the size of the monoblade CJ throttle body that he won't be able to lower the rpm's any further. Another excuse to go with a Circle D, huh?!??!

Last edited:

dennisn

Established Member
The only issue with the tune that I have come up with, is that the idle is a little higher than I would like. It's about 750rpm. Nothing crazy, but just enough that it does pull a little against the brakes at stoplights. Shaun told me that due to the size of the monoblade CJ throttle body that he won't be able to lower the rpm's any further. Another excuse to go with a Circle D, huh?!??!

Mine idles at about 900. I have to almost put it in neutral when I get to stop lights and I am stalled.

Tried the idle relearn but didn't help.

twistedneck

Established Member
when I put cj cams in I had to raise my idle to from stock 650 to 750rpm or it would stall here and there. now I have the cj mani setup I bet its going to stall much more often. you can use the sct adjustment to keep raising the idle until its fixed.

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
Shaun also mentioned that my gas is not very good. Not sure what to do about that. The Kansas City area is pretty much horrible about getting decent gas. About everywhere I know of has 91 octane at best. Having said that, Shaun did say he has been seeing alot of crappy "winter" gas though, so maybe it will get better as winter goes away. He said he had to take 3 degrees of timing out of the final tune. I guess I can always put some race gas in at the track and give the 3 degrees of timing back!!

I did get the final performance tune loaded, so the swap is officially complete. Also have the race tune downloaded to the handheld for when the time comes!!

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
Now I realize NOBODY but me would be this excited about gas mileage. But since the weather is taking a turn for worse here again, you take what you can get!! This is with only driving a total of 10 miles to work each way, so included lots of cold start-ups. With that said it is garaged at my house, but not at work. 22mpg with a combined highway and city driving!!!

temporary_zps15d57b07.jpg

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Hello everyone,

Im about to purchase this setup for my 2011 GT 6m but was wondering how does the install compare to the boss install? I already have the boss manifold and swapping over to this but I checked over directions and not sure how to wire up the throttle body? Can anyone help with this?

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
Hello everyone,

Im about to purchase this setup for my 2011 GT 6m but was wondering how does the install compare to the boss install? I already have the boss manifold and swapping over to this but I checked over directions and not sure how to wire up the throttle body? Can anyone help with this?

It's handled in the instructions you repin the plug to a plug they provide to have the harness they send for the throttle body to plug and play

OP Sorry for the thread high jack

IDWALKU

RecordBreakinBrad
Established Member
So it seems as if we need to pre-stretch the couplers before we ship them out. Is that the only issue you had with it besides the clamps and the couplers?

goat-ee

Established Member
So it seems as if we need to pre-stretch the couplers before we ship them out. Is that the only issue you had with it besides the clamps and the couplers?

I wasn't especially happy with the appearance either, the workmanship was less than ideal. Not horrible, but even with the paint, flaws are obvious in the tubing. Mostly I was disappointed with the sandy grit left on the inside of the piping. If I hadn't checked it and cleaned it out, all of that would have eventually made it's way to the engine.

I haven't seen anyone else complain, so maybe it was just me?:shrug: But it was really difficult to make the transition from oval to round. It's not a matter of stretching the coupler. The real solution is to make the pipe itself the same shape as the throttle body (or close to it) on that end. It would make the installation 100% easier.

And also I found this to be accurate in other cases. In particular I have had a lot of experience with the 96-98 Cobra's. They have the same shape throttle body as the SCJ TB on my CobraJet intake, only smaller. There are plenty of folks producing the round CAI on those as well, and they are also a pain to install. The difference is you have more room to work on the Cobra setup. Here is a pic to clarify what i'm saying it should like.

96-98cai_zps5ffeb2de.jpg

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
i found if i secured it to the cai first then slid it on the tb it made my life alot easier. no issues getting it on though

goat-ee

Established Member
I was about to put the car up on jacks and install the driveshaft and loop and it occurred to me that I wanted to get a true before and after comparison of the CJ intake installation. And besides, its a labor savings if I install these at the same time as the converter installation. The only other change (which is pretty big) is the NT05R drag radials, but I would like to keep the changes to a minimum after the CJ install. I really hope that I see 11.99's or better so I don't have to do the converter installation. But I will do it if the goal is not met.

Users who are viewing this thread