Cobra Jet intake going on stockish auto 5.0!!

goat-ee

Established Member
Well I have been posting in the other CJ intake thread. I decided I should quit stealing someone else's thread.

My current mods, which I don't intend on changing much (except maybe some drag radials) are as follows...

* Auto
* GT500 AB
* Jegs cat deletes
* JLT intake
* AED tuned
* 12' FRPP GT500 wheels

Car ran a 12.65 @ 113.64 mph (2.2 second 60 foot) as it sits with a stock shift program that Shaun @ AED gave me. And by stock I mean stock everything including shift rpm. Tires would go up in smoke going into 2nd otherwise.

Been wanting the intake and tonight I bid on a CJ monoblade throttle body on eBay. My bid didn't make reserve. As soon as the auction ended he sent me a Second Chance offer which I quickly accepted. So I now own a SCJ TB for $432 and it's practically new!! M 9926 SCJ Cobra Jet Throttle Body Shelby GT500 Mustang Mono Blade Ford Racing | eBay

So now it's time to follow up by buying everything else, which I will update this list as I go. I will be following the list (which I stole from the other thread) to the letter except maybe the CAI? Is the Ford Racing CAI the way to go, if it ever gets in stock? Or is there a better option?

Originally Posted by JohnRichard
Last part price quoted by Tasca Ford
Plus Shipping
Super Cobra Jet Intake
M-9424-M50CJ
$653.13 ACTUALLY $671.15 shipped

01bluesnake for port and polish $120 ACTUALLY $144 shipped

Revolution Auto CJ 5" CAI, flat black powder coated $450. ACTUALLY $484.89 shipped

Super Cobra Jet Mono Blade Oval Throttle Body
M-9926-SCJ
$527.25----ACTUALLY BOUGHT FOR $423

AED Re-Tune for CJ Intake. ACTUALLY $100 shipped

Tasca pricing after the "SVTP" 5% off coupon

I will of course be having Shaun at AED do the tuning. I'd like it done by the time the drag strip opens in March!!!

Also it's funny I literally just sold my 96-98 Cobra Hellion turbo kit!! Just makes this move that much easier.

temporary_zps1d989b72.jpg

Last edited:

momogt

Established Member
off topic but how is the downshift on the aed tune is there any delay when mash the gas to pass on the highway or roll race

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Was that the scj tb that was listed for $450 on eBay? I remember seeing it and thinking what a killer deal someone just got

ExTurbo

Established Member
cant wait to hear what she does, this is what I wanna do along with some cams later down the road, but its not exactly an inexpensive venture...I should really pay this thing off before I dump more money into it

goat-ee

Established Member
I can't remember the guys name at the moment, but I saw a thread where he cleaned up the CJ intake and gained all the way thru the rev range. I may have him do that if anyone has his info?

Grabberblumaico

Established Member
I can't remember the guys name at the moment, but I saw a thread where he cleaned up the CJ intake and gained all the way thru the rev range. I may have him do that if anyone has his info?

I think you are referring to Olbluesnake.
Drew is his name. My CJ manifold is being dropped shipped to him today for clean up work..

goat-ee

Established Member
I think you are referring to Olbluesnake.
Drew is his name. My CJ manifold is being dropped shipped to him today for clean up work..

Thanks, that's likely what I will do also. Just got off the phone with Revolution Auto and ordered their CAI. Sounds like maybe ship next week after flat black powder coating. Something like this!!!

RevolutionAutoCAI_zpsd239a8f4.jpg

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Good luck with the CJ intake install... I personally would not do it on a daily driver... The low end throttle response is going to be very sluggish. the fact that you are taking off a at the most A 90mm throttle body, 80mm stock and replacing it with a 130+mm throttle body is enough to guarantee so. just ask mr physics.
All the CJ intake needs is the rough areas smoothed out and the main throttle body side opened up a little.. and get ready for a whistle at certain RPMs coming from the intake as well. part throttle from close to 2200 to 3200 rpms with a slight load on the car.

I gave up hope on the FRPP CAI for this... Ford has had well over a year to make one and have had issues, postponed the release date three times already and it is smaller than a JLT CAI at the MAF, 102mm versus 107mm

Other people have put this on autos, no idea what gears the user is running...
My car is a manual and I am thinking 4.56s
This is a great mod, makes the car a power house, just sucks ass on a DD.

Here is a link to drew's post on the CJ intake
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/955953-cobra-jet-manifold-reworking.html

For reading fun.
http://www.nmradigital.com/2013/12/...-intake-manifolds-for-the-coyote-5-0l-engine/

Last edited:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Can you point me to the "other" CJ intake thread? Subscribing to see your results. Are you expecting a drop in low end TQ like from the boss?

goat-ee

Established Member
Good luck with the CJ intake install... I personally would not do it on a daily driver... The low end throttle response is going to be very sluggish. the fact that you are taking off a at the most A 90mm throttle body, 80mm stock and replacing it with a 130+mm throttle body is enough to guarantee so. just ask mr physics.
All the CJ intake needs is the rough areas smoothed out and the main throttle body side opened up a little.. and get ready for a whistle at certain RPMs coming from the intake as well. part throttle from close to 2200 to 3200 rpms with a slight load on the car.

Ouch, I hope Shaun @ AED can tune it to the point where those problems are minimized. BTW, who tuned your setup? Here's to hoping your wrong!! :beer: I haven't heard about the whistling? Any idea where that comes from?

Just left a message with 01bluesnake about cleaning up the intake. Assuming he is good with doing the work i'll have Tasca drop ship it.

Last edited:

mattadams6552

Established Member

So are you saying this intake will be worse than the boss intake? I understand what your talking about with the bigger throttle body, but i thought that it still had less torque loss than the boss intake.

Last edited:

ExTurbo

Established Member
I think what a lot of people don't realize is you see dynos with minimal tq loss, however they are running they at wide open throttle. Most people don't run their cars at part throttle on the dyno. Id love to drive one to really get an idea of what it feels like.

mattadams6552

Established Member
I think what a lot of people don't realize is you see dynos with minimal tq loss, however they are running they at wide open throttle. Most people don't run their cars at part throttle on the dyno. Id love to drive one to really get an idea of what it feels like.

I agree, that would really make me decide if i want to drop the money for this upgrade.

ExTurbo

Established Member
I daily the mustang, and have been looking for more power while staying n/a, im thinking cams might actually be the way to go over the CJ as far as keeping the power band somewhat useable on the street. Honestly the cost difference probably wouldn't be that much between the 2. I imagine if you keep them mild you can pick up power and not loose too much down low...but I cant speak from experience unfortunately

Back to the CJ... John Richard, do you think going with the GT500 style would be a good compromise for drivability's sake? Say for an all out application the SCJ throttle body is obviously the way to go, but for a street car the GT500 TB might keep the velocity up for tq and throttle response? Am I way off?

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member

I agree, that would really make me decide if i want to drop the money for this upgrade.

Just got off the phone with Drew (01bluesnake). I'm feeling way better about driveability. He stated that driveability on his CJ intake is like STOCK after the AED tune, and the whistling is very slight. Will go now to order the intake from Tasca and have it dropped to Drew. Getting excited!! Things are moving quickly.

Well your going to find out how it REALLY performs. Not just at the strip either. I am VERY picky about street manners, and you will not meet anyone who is more brutally honest than me. I will spend all the money and NOT cut any corners and have it tuned by the best in the business. After all the bugs have been worked out as far as possible, the honest results WILL be posted in this thread. It will not be the thread that just disappears without real results being posted. Having said that there will NOT be any dyno numbers posted. So you will see 1/4 mile times/mph and my SOTP feedback on driveability, part throttle response, mpg and every nit-picky little thing I think of as I go!! My obsessive compulsive tendencies will finally serve a purpose!!

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
no no no... I am not saying torque loss, I am saying throttle response.

One thing I did not and I thought I could get a way from doing... it is changing the cams.
My setup is on a Boss engine/Boss heads and yes I need to change cams.

Maybe when summer gets here and the corn is in the tank it might change everything.

I am running an AED tune.

Just got off the phone with Drew (01bluesnake). I'm feeling way better about driveability. He stated that driveability on his CJ intake is like STOCK after the AED tune, and the whistling is very slight.

My car is not, way far from it and wish you good luck in any other mod then WOT

Last edited:

mattadams6552

Established Member
Just got off the phone with Drew (01bluesnake). I'm feeling way better about driveability. He stated that driveability on his CJ intake is like STOCK after the AED tune, and the whistling is very slight. Will go now to order the intake from Tasca and have it dropped to Drew. Getting excited!! Things are moving quickly.

Well your going to find out how it REALLY performs. Not just at the strip either. I am VERY picky about street manners, and you will not meet anyone who is more brutally honest than me. I will spend all the money and NOT cut any corners and have it tuned by the best in the business. After all the bugs have been worked out as far as possible, the honest results WILL be posted in this thread. It will not be the thread that just disappears without real results being posted. Having said that there will NOT be any dyno numbers posted. So you will see 1/4 mile times/mph and my SOTP feedback on driveability, part throttle response, mpg and every nit-picky little thing I think of as I go!! My obsessive compulsive tendencies will finally serve a purpose!!

Cant wait to hear the results. I can handle the whistling, but i dont want it to struggle when its not wot.

Users who are viewing this thread