Check out this new 4lb lower pulley that uses the factory cage

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
i am for sure in for one also.. when they go for sale..

hopefully before too long. I plan on putting the engine back together by the end of the year.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
So, running a 6-lb lower ONLY (to keep upper looking stock for smog) has a down side other than cost??? And needing correct alternator pulley. The crank snout?

I was all set to do 6-lb lower (only) for smog stelth.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
Ok, as promised we did, in fact, install the prototype lower pulley on my friends Cobra tonight. Everything went great! We installed the assembly back on just like it was there from the factory, torqued everything to spec, routed the belt and fired it up.
The idler we used (just for testing) was an off the shelf 50mm pulley. After calculating what was needed we determined that a 60mm will be used for the rest. Also, like i mentioned in an earlier post, all of the rest of them will have slot/oval cut-outs so they will have "spokes" kind of like the stocker does. This will improve the looks and also decrease the rotational mass....not that its a big deal being thats its billet aluminum, but it will save a little weight. They will also be hard coat anodized black too. The bracket (cage piece) will be most likely be glass beaded and then clearcoated.
As soon as we get the over-sized alternator pulley installed and the aux upper idler back on (these were removed to accomodate the only belt size we had at the time) we should have a correct belt size for this combo (3 90mm and 1 100mm idlers).

Im going to try and get the video that we got from tonight and post it here a little later in the week. Nothing fancy, just showing the car idling and revving from and overhead point of view and one vid shot from underneath when we had it on a lift.

Here are a few pics from tonight
S6302004.gif

S6302008.gif

S6302011.gif

S6302010.gif

S6302009.gif

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
So, running a 6-lb lower ONLY (to keep upper looking stock for smog) has a down side other than cost??? And needing correct alternator pulley. The crank snout?

I was all set to do 6-lb lower (only) for smog stelth.

lower pulley will be definitely more money that just an upper, if thats what you're asking. And yes, whenever you run a lower you need the correct size alt pulley to go along with it since you're spinning everything faster.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
lower pulley will be definitely more money that just an upper, if thats what you're asking. And yes, whenever you run a lower you need the correct size alt pulley to go along with it since you're spinning everything faster.

No, I meant supporting the crank snout. Didn't know that was an issue.

I see your product solves this problem but I never know there was a crank risk to running Metco lowers.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
Heres a short vid that one of my good friends put together for me that shows the initial start up with the first pulley installed

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulqibuZtEeI&feature=youtube_gdata"]YouTube - 03/04 Cobra Prototype 4 LB Lower Pulley[/nomedia]

edit..cant get it to embed...???

Last edited:

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
we're hoping to have the car thats in the vid strapped on a dyno in a week or two to really fully test this piece under some much higher RPM's / stress. I'll post that vid after we're done

greengt88

Established Member
i think the cage/bracket assembly would look nice being black as well, not big on the clear over raw metal thing. i like my stuff blacked out.

greengt88

Established Member
i think the cage/bracket assembly would look nice being black as well, not big on the clear over raw metal thing. i like my stuff blacked out.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
subbing, we were thinking about building one ourselves just last weekend, no need to if someone already has one!

I want one!

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
While I don't have anything other then a measly little Eaton, I'd sure like to know that my crank is not at risk...I don't care what the color!!!

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
Well, today turned out to be a good day. We ended up making it to the dyno a week early. We got there in the afternoon and strapped it down waited a few min to let it cool down and the proceeded to make 4 full runs with a 15 minute break in between runs. The first run, as you can hear in the vid, we get alot of tire spin on the rollers, so the next 3 runs two of us sit in the trunk to help get traction. Anyways, the best part....after its all said and done the pulley performed flawlessly! We're still running the wrong size idler (too small) and there still was zero belt slip. It held boost across the rpm range just like it should, it only dropped about 1 lb overall, which is about normal for a twinscrew. Most of the 4 runs the car was taken up to about 6700 RPM's, plus the abuse of the road testing, i'd say this is just about ready to go. We're still going to continue putting more miles on it just to make sure. We're also going to be taking it back off the car and inspecting every piece for anything out of the ordinary. We're also discussing the issue that a few people have had (i actually Pm'ed one guy, waiting to get more info from him) that are running big displacement blowers and that have had problems with the stock lower damaging the rubber bushings from the pulley over-tightening itself. The guys have already come up with a fix for this issue.
It also has been decided that we're going to have each bracket (cage) powdercoated in either black or a nice bright silver. As of right now the timeline is looking like maybe 2-3 weeks and they will be ready to go (maybe 2 if we're lucky)

Anyways, heres the vid...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIcd2SqLaEc"]YouTube - Prototype 4 Lb Lower Pulley on the Dyno[/nomedia]

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
This is a great idea. How would this work? Would one have to ship his factory lower in for a core charge? Is 4lb the only one your going to market? Are you inspecting the bearings in the cage?

My buddy had his stock lower fall apart on his car from the bearing in the cage. Thats the only issue I've seen with the stock lowers.

Users who are viewing this thread