CCW - 9mm or .40?

VictorySong

Established Member
.40 S&W is a shit round combining lower than 9mm capacity with ballistics that aren't up to par with .45 ACP in 99% of the loadings.

10mm is the best bet if you want the best of both worlds. It hits harder than .45 and holds nearly as much as 9mm. It is the perfect handgun caliber. If I didn't have .45 acp, .45LC, and .45-70 that I reload for I would definitely make a 10mm my exclusive pistol round.

A good carry pistol for non shooters? 22lr revolver or .327 Federal magnum from Ruger.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
.40 S&W is a shit round combining lower than 9mm capacity with ballistics that aren't up to par with .45 ACP in 99% of the loadings.

10mm is the best bet if you want the best of both worlds. It hits harder than .45 and holds nearly as much as 9mm. It is the perfect handgun caliber. If I didn't have .45 acp, .45LC, and .45-70 that I reload for I would definitely make a 10mm my exclusive pistol round.

A good carry pistol for non shooters? 22lr revolver or .327 Federal magnum from Ruger.

Curious to know where you came up with the impression of .40 s&w.

Capacity between 9mm and .40 is not too far off and .40 often delivers the same ft-lbs of energy as .45.

Last edited:

VictorySong

Established Member
Curious to know where you came up with the impression of .40 s&w.

Capacity between 9mm and .40 is not too far off and .40 often delivers the same ft-lbs of energy as .45.

I owned a 4006 for a few years and it was one of the first guns I fired back when I was 3-4 years old. The only combo I have more trigger time on is the Beretta 92 in 9mm. Recoil impulse sucks compared to a .45/9mm, ammo was a pita to find when I was with the round, basically a neutered 10mm.

Manufacturers have pepped up the round over the last 10 years but, why stop at .45 ACP energy when you can keep the same capacity and start knocking on .357 magnum with a 10mm? :shrug:

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
How's the reliability? I've kicked around the idea of picking one up too many times to count.

It's my father's pistol. I myself will be picking up a Glock 19 as my first gun as I feel like it is a good starter gun to practice my shooting skills/conceal.

With that said, I like it. I've put about 100 rounds through it. From what I've shot, it is a nice gun. Recoil is a bit, but you can expect that with 230g ammo haha. You can't go wrong with 7+1, .45 ACP, 3" barrel. Sounds perfect for concealed carry IMO.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I owned a 4006 for a few years and it was one of the first guns I fired back when I was 3-4 years old. The only combo I have more trigger time on is the Beretta 92 in 9mm. Recoil impulse sucks compared to a .45/9mm, ammo was a pita to find when I was with the round, basically a neutered 10mm.

Manufacturers have pepped up the round over the last 10 years but, why stop at .45 ACP energy when you can keep the same capacity and start knocking on .357 magnum with a 10mm? :shrug:

No argument with the last part. I don't own a 10mm but from what I have heard it has decent recoil and seems it wouldn't be great to fire from a gun intended for concealed carry.

I wouldnt be opposed to picking up a G20, though, if I didn't want an M&P Pro in 9mm next.

Machdup1

Established Member
HAHAHA. What surprised me is how proficient the Reservist Special Ops guys are! They just shoot all the time when not deployed.

The regular Army team had a guy on the 5.56mm or service rifle category that amazed me back then! He could humble most anyone.

The AMU members are definitely unreal. The Navy guys I shoot highpower with get the opportunity to train with the AMU. Lucky bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread