CCW - 9mm or .40?

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ammo has close groupings but the run of mill gun buyer does not. The OP is most likely not highly experienced and isn't going to become a dedicated shooter.

I've seen people hit the middle of a target, keep squeezing the trigger and end up shooting a ceiling tile. Many have trouble with placing the timing of a second, third, forth shot. That's no bueno if you have to defend yourself with innocent people around. That's one reason I like my Florida carry permit, it required physical training at a range. For someone who struggles a 9mm/.380 would be a better/safer choice. Even with practice some shooters can't overcome their own coordination.

I would love NOT to go to that range.

I will be in FL soon and probably get my CCW there, nice to see the training aspect involved.

Machdup1

Established Member
Ron Barrett showed me "hot" round (yellow band) from Argentina and how his rifle held up after the psi busted the chamber.

An audience with rifle royalty.

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Did you go through the Army's Sniper School?

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Last edited by a moderator:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Just watched a show on The military Channel. They said 9mm was just to powerful. They showed all these tests where it just went right through everything they shot. They showed the 45 shot. Looked like a little bit bigger penetration hole to start, but a gapping hole inside the clay. But its your choice. I have both but my CCW is a .40 Glock 23.

Machdup1

Established Member
SOTIC is the course I went through. See page 91:
U.S. Army Special Forces - Fred J. Pushies - Google knygos

I also worked a bit with Ron after Desert Storm. His shop in Murfreesboro, TN and we were at Fort Campbell.

Other than that I helped validate the Ranger Regt's sniper program years ago for SOCOM.

Outstanding.

My only question is how did you pass the psych exam necessary to get into the school. Just kidding.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I don't have a CCW but the order of importance for choosing a gun for me would be as follows:

1. Being comfortable with the size/recoil of the gun.

2. Mag capacity.

3. Stopping power.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I've carried .45, .40, and 9mm. I carried 9mm for three years and recently switched to .40. The frame of the gun is not any larger, and the difference in recoil isn't as much as some crack it up to be.

.45 was a cannon, and when you have 8 rounds to miss with vs 14, I would rather have more to put down range at a bad guy. Say what you will, you can practice until your hand falls off but when you are under the stress of the situation you will miss more than once unless your 12 inches from the perp.

Also, don't listen to people talking about shot placement, your not going to have time to aim for vitals. Point at the torso and squeeze.

+65,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machdup1

Established Member
They want a little instability in your mind not your shots, LOL!

I've shot against Army sniper teams at a competition, they have no instability in their shots. It was a humbling experience.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I've shot against Army sniper teams at a competition, they have no instability in their shots. It was a humbling experience.

HAHAHA. What surprised me is how proficient the Reservist Special Ops guys are! They just shoot all the time when not deployed.

The regular Army team had a guy on the 5.56mm or service rifle category that amazed me back then! He could humble most anyone.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I carry a glock 27 with .40 but i prefer my Sig Sauer 9mm.....shoot em both see which one is more comfy since you will be the one whos life could depend on it.

Artie1957

Banned
Let me clarify my last post. When I said shot placement. I assumed everyone here knows in that critical moment you ALWAYS aim for center mass. Any other aim point is...well pointless.
It takes most adult humans a little over a second to cover 21 feet. A second! Not much time to react, huh?
The best way to avoid a confrontation is to never put yourself in the situation to begain with.
So all you can do is get proficient with your sidearm of choice. Learn to shoot it laying on your back, on your knees, backing up (this is good information to know remember the 21ft deal) and running. It could save your life.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I guess that I should have clarified a few things in my first post.

I own several firearms and shoot on a regular basis. I currently own three pistols: Glock .40 Ruger 9mm and Beretta .45 so I understand the differences between each round, their knock down power and so forth. That said the above mentioned firearms are full-size pistols and I am a big guy at 6'5" and 260lbs so I did spend time renting a series of subcompact pistols in 9mm and .40 to ensure that they fit my hand which, led me to the Beretta subcompact PX4 9mm which I picked up this morning.

I was bouncing back and forth between 9mm and .40 because the pistols are the exact same size and weight when unloaded. Since this is my first CCW I wanted to hear opinion on these two rounds, specifically and am not interested in any other firearms as I have shot every one in my price range. If I had $1,200 to spend I would own a Colt Defender 1911 in .45 as it is the nicest small framed 1911 I have shot.

Anyways, I did get some valuable information from the postings which eventually led me to the 9mm due to the ease of getting ammunition and holding 15 rounds with a slightly extended clip. By the way, this is why I love this site. You post a question about just about anything and there are several individuals with qualified opinions.....Thanks for everyone's help!

Blown 89

Established Member
Just watched a show on The military Channel. They said 9mm was just to powerful. They showed all these tests where it just went right through everything they shot. They showed the 45 shot. Looked like a little bit bigger penetration hole to start, but a gapping hole inside the clay. But its your choice. I have both but my CCW is a .40 Glock 23.
I've seen the same thing. It's not the size of the hole or the mass of the bullet that stops people. It's the gaping hole inside from the shock and tumble of the mushroomed bullet that stops people. The more tissue it rips up inside the faster they'll bleed out.

Practice counts more than caliber.
HOW you practice counts more than anything. Sitting at the range with a stationary piece of paper and all the time in the world accomplishes nothing but emptying your wallet. Pulling it out of a holster under pressure complicates things more than people know, especially when they haven't practiced finding their natural point of aim. Finding your NPA, transitioning targets from different spacing/distance, reloading, moving, shooting around obstacles, etc is much more important.

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
I guess that I should have clarified a few things in my first post.

I own several firearms and shoot on a regular basis. I currently own three pistols: Glock .40 Ruger 9mm and Beretta .45 so I understand the differences between each round, their knock down power and so forth. That said the above mentioned firearms are full-size pistols and I am a big guy at 6'5" and 260lbs so I did spend time renting a series of subcompact pistols in 9mm and .40 to ensure that they fit my hand which, led me to the Beretta subcompact PX4 9mm which I picked up this morning.

I was bouncing back and forth between 9mm and .40 because the pistols are the exact same size and weight when unloaded. Since this is my first CCW I wanted to hear opinion on these two rounds, specifically and am not interested in any other firearms as I have shot every one in my price range. If I had $1,200 to spend I would own a Colt Defender 1911 in .45 as it is the nicest small framed 1911 I have shot.

Anyways, I did get some valuable information from the postings which eventually led me to the 9mm due to the ease of getting ammunition and holding 15 rounds with a slightly extended clip. By the way, this is why I love this site. You post a question about just about anything and there are several individuals with qualified opinions.....Thanks for everyone's help!

Can't go wrong with a colt defender. they're a nice firearm.

554ikh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread