CCW - 9mm or .40?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member

I carry a Glock 36 (Single stack, compact frame - just like the XDS. Actually, almost identical to the XDS.) daily. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Machdup1

Established Member
To be an effective carry gun, you need to practice with it on a regular basis so factor into your decision what a box of each type of ammunition costs. For example, using Federal American Pistol Ammo (basic range ammo), if you shoot two boxes ammo per month ammo will cost you the following per year (using midwayusa pricing, better pricing can probably be had):

9mm $348.00/yr
.380 $468.00/yr
.40 $431.76/yr
.45 $611.76/yr
10mm $791.76/yr
357 Sig $864.00/yr

Your best choice is price wise is 9mm by a longshot (excuse the pun).

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
What ever you are able to shoot accurately and quickly. I went from shooting .40 in a Shield to 9mm in an M&P full size because followup shots were far far quicker and on target. I also carry a 1911 compact in 9mm since it's easier to conceal. It's fairly heavy, so I have no doubt that follow up shots would be quick.

REPCobra10

Established Member
OP, get what you prefer the most. The 9x19mm or the .40 S&W will both get the job done in a self-defense scenario. There are plenty of pistols in both that are highly concealable, as well. My favorite carry pistol at the moment is my Springfield Armory XDs .45 ACP--it's tiny and packs the punch of the venerable .45 ACP!

Last edited:

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
springfield sub compact 9mm with extended clip is what I have. i really like it. but its what you like. best thing to do is go out to the range and rent a few options. and figure out what you like best. What you someone else likes may not be exactly what you like. I like the way the springfield fits in my hand only with the extended clip because my fingures dont hang down like with the normal clip in it. some people want compact. to each his own. but 99% of the time whatever you get will do the job.. as long as you dont buy a taurus.

Last edited:

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
For me 9mm is the easiest ammo to find, so that's what I carry. That being said, it's all about personal preference. Hollowpoint of any size will do considerable damage if you're a decent shot. Both of my CCW weapons are 9mm, and they're both loaded with hollowpoints. I hope I never need to find out firsthand what they're capable of though.

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
I also carry an XDS .45 and love it. Also a good range of ammo from a 165 grain to 230 grain are available.

Artie1957

Banned
My everyday carry gun is a TCP 738 .380 but my favorite is my XD40 sub-compact.
And like the others said, buy the gun that fits your hand. The one you can draw and shoot well.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
To be an effective carry gun, you need to practice with it on a regular basis so factor into your decision what a box of each type of ammunition costs. For example, using Federal American Pistol Ammo (basic range ammo), if you shoot two boxes ammo per month ammo will cost you the following per year (using midwayusa pricing, better pricing can probably be had):

9mm $348.00/yr
.380 $468.00/yr
.40 $431.76/yr
.45 $611.76/yr
10mm $791.76/yr
357 Sig $864.00/yr

Your best choice is price wise is 9mm by a longshot (excuse the pun).

Uh for practice buy some reloads and live cheap. 1000 for 270 for .40.

And I carry 40. Either my G23 or my G27.

blwn306

Established Member
XD-40 Sub compact here!!! Love it! But I'm gonna me a 9 later this month! I'm kinda addicted now...

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I have an XDs and my wife has an M&P Shield 9mm. They are both about the same size but I prefer the XDs and the .45 round personally.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
You think a .380 is garbage?
With all due respect: A well placed round from any gun will kill you.
Even a .22.

Sure, a well placed strike with a plastic whiffle ball bat can hurt too. No reason to encourage its use for self defense.

Colt .45

Established Member
Sure, a well placed strike with a plastic whiffle ball bat can hurt too. No reason to encourage its use for self defense.

Exactly. After reading multiple stories like this one:
‘My Wife Is a Hero’: Georgia Mother Shoots Home Intruder Five Times After Being Cornered in Attic | Video | TheBlaze.com

I am not going to use it.

In a high pressure situation that I, or my girl, are not accustomed too, I do not want to rely on the "perfect shot placement".

I also like the saying of, "9mm may expand, but the .45 won't shrink".

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I've carried .45, .40, and 9mm. I carried 9mm for three years and recently switched to .40. The frame of the gun is not any larger, and the difference in recoil isn't as much as some crack it up to be.

.45 was a cannon, and when you have 8 rounds to miss with vs 14, I would rather have more to put down range at a bad guy. Say what you will, you can practice until your hand falls off but when you are under the stress of the situation you will miss more than once unless your 12 inches from the perp.

Also, don't listen to people talking about shot placement, your not going to have time to aim for vitals. Point at the torso and squeeze.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread