CCW - 9mm or .40?

DNT H8

Established Member
Few things are key: How the weapon molds to your hand, shot placement, follow up shot placement! Thats it...

.40 has more muzzle flip than a 9mm or .45, thats fact.

Federal HST's in any caliber are stopping the bad guy! With that said give me more rounds in the mag any day!! Drills and putting rounds down range (with all things equal) are the most important factor, PRACTICE!

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
.40 would be my choice. My RugerSR40c doesn't seem to be any bigger than the 9mm version and can still be concealed carry easy 15+1. Yeah its a little more expensive to shoot but my carry isnt my weapon of choice at the range so :shrug:

bunk22

Established Member
My EDC is a Walther PPS in 9mm. My secondary would be my Gen 4 G19.

photo57_zpsddc07580.jpg

Stay away from .380 - the round is garbage.

It is? Hmm, stopped a rape no long ago down here, one shot, one stop.

Last

Established Member
Practice counts more than caliber.

Anyone that says so and so caliber is garbage does not know what they are talking about.

.22lr will kill you just as much as a 9mm, 22lr does not create an exit wound, 9mm will.

remember that kid TJ lane? He murdered 3 kids with a .22lr.

Internet research says that some rounds won't stop you, and people claim to have been in shootouts and have hit people with a certain caliber and them not go down.

It really is all about shot placement, it is VERY difficult to take someone down immediately with a gun. That is why a 9mm is a good choice, lots of rounds to put on target.

2 in the numbers will put someone on the ground, may not kill them, but will put them on their knees.

DNT H8

Established Member
So what is shot placement? Center mass? Head shot?? Both??? Lets elaborate... In a real life situation center mass is not always possible, especially on a moving target. I can tell you from experience hitting the target in a critical fashion is important. But, when variables happen you better have rounds to expend... example a mag bigger than seven rounds.

Don't spend so much time on caliber rather more on skill and ability... With a pistol that's made for you.

Last

Established Member
So what is shot placement? Center mass? Head shot?? Both??? Lets elaborate... In a real life situation center mass is not always possible, especially on a moving target. I can tell you from experience hitting the target in a critical fashion is important. But, when variables happen you better have rounds to expend... example a mag bigger than seven rounds.

Don't spend so much time on caliber rather more on skill and ability... With a pistol that's made for you.

Center mass is where you should be shooting. We are talking personal protection here, the target would be moving towards you.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I really enjoy my Glock 23. I'm not a huge guy (6'1" 210) but I can conceal it very well.

DNT H8

Established Member
Center mass is where you should be shooting. We are talking personal protection here, the target would be moving towards you.
I agree center mass is the target, but once the rounds start flying your target will not follow a straight line... I promise.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
OP this is a decision you need to make on your own. I've been shooting with many people and have witnessed some stark variables in abilities with different rounds. I've seen big guys who are a poor shot with a .40, the round is too hot and throws off their accuracy. Others aren't fazed by any round and could shoot a bazooka one handed.

Anyone can shoot 9mm easily though.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
OP this is a decision you need to make on your own. I've been shooting with many people and have witnessed some stark variables in abilities with different rounds. I've seen big guys who are a poor shot with a .40, the round is too hot and throws off their accuracy. Others aren't fazed by any round and could shoot a bazooka one handed.

Anyone can shoot 9mm easily though.

R2M,
having shot once or twice I am not sure I fully agree. Once you pull the trigger the bullet normally goes the last place the sights are aimed at when the bullet leaves the barrel.

If he/she is a poor shot it does not matter what round you use. Flinching, poor aim, poor handling, poor stance, and excuses are in the hands of the shooter. My guess is the folks shooting the .40 are scared of it or poor shooters to begin with.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
If he/she is a poor shot it does not matter what round you use. Flinching, poor aim, poor handling, poor stance, and excuses are in the hands of the shooter. My guess is the folks shooting the .40 are scared of it or poor shooters to begin with.

It seems you are referring to normal target shooting. I was talking about experiences seeing people drawing and firing like they would if they were using their CCW. A quick 3 or more shots. I should have clarified that.

I'm a very good shot, but when I go shooting I work my way up in caliber. If I shock my hand too much from the start I lose some accuracy.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It seems you are referring to normal target shooting. I was talking about experiences seeing people drawing and firing like they would if they were using their CCW. A quick 3 or more shots. I should have clarified that.

I'm a very good shot, but when I go shooting I work my way up in caliber. If I shock my hand too much from the start I lose some accuracy.

Most of my shooting is shooting and moving, not only stationary but moving targets. Both with pistol and long guns.

What I learned over the years is the same lot of ammo has very close groupings as long as you stay with that lot, once you know that grouping you adjust your aim points.

I could see using mixed ammo causing problems or not knowing the grouping when starting to shoot. I have shot most everything from .50 on down. Ron Barrett showed me "hot" round (yellow band) from Argentina and how his rifle held up after the psi busted the chamber.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Ammo has close groupings but the run of mill gun buyer does not. The OP is most likely not highly experienced and isn't going to become a dedicated shooter.

I've seen people hit the middle of a target, keep squeezing the trigger and end up shooting a ceiling tile. Many have trouble with placing the timing of a second, third, forth shot. That's no bueno if you have to defend yourself with innocent people around. That's one reason I like my Florida carry permit, it required physical training at a range. For someone who struggles a 9mm/.380 would be a better/safer choice. Even with practice some shooters can't overcome their own coordination.

OP, guns are like cars, try to get a test drive in before you buy one. And don't buy based on looks, I've made that mistake before. Some firing ranges offer rentals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread