Catch can ruined supercharger.

NvrEnfHP

Established Member
:burn: flame suit on.

I just left a mustang show and a guy with a 12 gt500 said his supercharger was making terrible screeching noises. Took it to the dealer and they said his rear SC bearing went out. They said it was due to lack I oil caused by the catch can trapping oil before it got to the SC.

Kinda got me scared. Don't want my bobs can to ruin my SC...

:pop:

rdsnk46

Established Member
So oil from the PCV into the intake track is designed to lubricate the super charger? I think that makes no sense.

rdsnk46

Established Member
The main idea of the catch can is to decrease octane loss from oil traveling into the intake track. Oil will decrease the octane and kill peformance. Secondly keeping the intake track clean along with the intercooler core.

If any members have a greater knowledge on this matter please enlighten me as I can learn from anyone willing to share correct information.

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member

I just left a mustang show and a guy with a 12 gt500 said his supercharger was making terrible screeching noises. Took it to the dealer and they said his rear SC bearing went out. They said it was due to lack I oil caused by the catch can trapping oil before it got to the SC.

The front front bearings have their own oil bath and the rear ones are sealed. Oil that gets in the intake track won't due much for lubing the rotors.

Sent from my '79 Fairmont coupe

Cam

n/a
Established Member
That is absolute nonsense. The rear bearing do not rely on oil mist from the intake for lubrication, they typically use a very high quality synthetic grease, not used motor oil. I've taken apart enough Eatons to say that motor oil does not migrate to the rear bearing from the rotors.

nickf2005

Established Member
Side question... Can the dealer void warranty work due to and added Oil Separator?

Cam

n/a
Established Member
Only if they can prove that it contributed to a failure. Highly unlikely.

One failure mode would be forgetting to drain it and sucking in a big slug of oil, the other would be a massive vacuum leak.

mullens

Established Member

It is uneducated idiotic comments like this that cause vendors problems. How many others has this know-it-all told this fairy tale? How many will not buy separators because of it? That's why the forums are so important.

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
For a car to have enough oil in the intake stream to lube high speed bearings, the exhaust would fog out every mosquito in Florida on start-up.The dealer is an idiot.

2013cobraman

2003/2013 cobras
Established Member

The needle bearings used in the rear of these superchargers are sealed and lubed in construction of the bearings. Engine oil has nothing to do with the life or failure of the bearings to begin with.

jbs$

Established Member
Don't you just hate people who lie, when the truth would serve them better. Why would a Dealer even try such bull crap, do they think that the entire world is stupid?

NvrEnfHP

Established Member
It is uneducated idiotic comments like this that cause vendors problems. How many others has this know-it-all told this fairy tale? How many will not buy separators because of it? That's why the forums are so important.

Def made me think twice about keeping on my bobs can

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
I've heard some wacky theories but this one takes the cake. To believe that an integral part such as a supercharger bearing assembly would be engineered to rely on a source of lubrication that is as variable and inconsistent as the PCV system is asinine.

If this were true then a rear bearing failed would cause the prices be sucked into the intake tract. Re-tar-did.

Aero7

Established Member
The master technician at my dealership (who is very anal about mods) saw my Bob's Catch Can, and gave me the nod that he was OK with it.

Users who are viewing this thread