Catch can ruined supercharger.

ObieFox

Established Member
Wow...so a dealer pointed to a catch can modification to justify the denial of warranty service on a failed engine related system.

Amazing...who would have ever guessed that could happen?

91svtbird

Established Member
Looks alot like the Bobs unit drawing from the bottom of the can. A sound design for sure. George does your unit have filter media?

No filter media. It's was custom designed by Petersons for the GT500 specifically so it wouldn't need one. No chance of clogging and restricting air flow yet maximizing oil retention.

FYI>Petersons makes the crankcase breather/oil separator used on all 2011-2012 Boss302R's.(shown below) that's why they were recruited to design this one. Expensive because it is a custom unit but worth it to me. I'd been down this road before with my 07' trying various off the shelf aftermarket units but was determined to get it right with this car going with a professional piece.
IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

Snoopy49

Established Member
With a Supercharger system this issue is obviously a much more important consideration that needed to be addressed compared to a NA application largely due to the extreme airflow/vacuum a SC produces in the inlet airflow stream. The use of a "catch can" would only be an addition to the much needed existing factory design therefore an added cost Ford probably didn't see necessary.

That said a good catch can system would only serve to enhance and improve the quality of the airflow and combustion and have no ill effect on supercharger operation, Example:>Here is the custom catch can system on my car shown here remotely located on the driver side fender well ..My very first mod too :)
20130105_075215.jpg

Did you have the separator custom built or does Petersons make one for our cars? Do you have a link or part number for the oil separator if it is a production unit?

91svtbird

Established Member
Did you have the separator custom built or does Petersons make one for our cars? Do you have a link or part number for the oil separator if it is a production unit?

Yes it is custom built , I have the schematic as do they of course.

91svtbird

Established Member
The Boss 302R has a long runner Mustang GT intake manifold!?
This is this the car, taken at Limerock park (early version of the Boss302R)
IMG_4419.jpg

Newer version uses the new Boss upper intake (same Peterson's breather/oil sep though)
14-grand-am-2010-test-1.jpg

Last edited:

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
Kind of a wacky question but are both drivers and passenger side PCV breathers of the exhaust type?

Meaning, they both serve as exits for air/oil mist to travel. Only reason I ask is one of the local tuners got all bent out of shape when I mentioned to him that I was thinking about routing both breathers to a single can, as illustrated above. He indicated that the drivers side was an "intake" for the system. I didn't want to say anything cuz I wasn't interested in debating but inside I was saying WTF.

On edit: Let me be clear. My belief was that both served as an exit. It was only because he is somewhat respected that the doubt arose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
The drivers side does not have a check valve and can flow in either direction, the passenger side has a check valve and only allows air to exit.

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
The drivers side does not have a check valve and can flow in either direction, the passenger side has a check valve and only allows air to exit.

Thank you sir. With the drivers side being multi directional, probably wouldn't be able to run both into a single can unless it was vented to atmosphere which would allow the drivers to work as designed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

impactblue

Established Member
My question is why did Ford engineer the engine to have blowby period? Why don't they put an oil separater on from the factory? For what they cost, why not just put them on and save themselves the headaches of dealing with problems related to oil in the intake system?

Ford cant rely on there consumers to empty a can of oil. If it were to overflow it would dump liquid oil instead of vapor into the intake If im correct

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

mullens

Established Member
Ford cant rely on there consumers to empty a can of oil. If it were to overflow it would dump liquid oil instead of vapor into the intake If im correct

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

That's fine but Ford Racing should come out with one with the rest of their aftermarket parts. They are missing a huge profit opportunity by ignoring this market segment. You know FR would charge twice as much as everybody else.

SVTKen

Established Member
Catch cans are an unnecessary piece of hardware with extra required maintenence (emptying) that could cause a serious problem if not emptied regularly. The oil blow by isn't going to cause any measurable difference in performance and there is a reason the factory doesn't install them. They are just another excuse for dealers to not honor warranty repairs, even though the issue probably has nothing to do with the catch can.

mullens

Established Member
Catch cans are an unnecessary piece of hardware with extra required maintenence (emptying) that could cause a serious problem if not emptied regularly. The oil blow by isn't going to cause any measurable difference in performance and there is a reason the factory doesn't install them. They are just another excuse for dealers to not honor warranty repairs, even though the issue probably has nothing to do with the catch can.

The necessity of catch cans can be debated until the cows come home. After I saw my intercooler/intake on my 2010 (covered in oil) I wouldn't live without one. All I'm saying is FR should make one and give consumers the choice of whether to use it. Just smart business IMO.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Shelby is about to release their oil separator. It doesn't use a filter media and is suppose to be plug & play. Hopefully there will be pictures and more information shortly.

Link

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The necessity of catch cans can be debated until the cows come home.
Truer words were never spoken!

/Begin rant
It would be great if certain folks could simply respect each others' choices about whether they are "necessary", rather than repeatedly weighing-in with their opinions regarding whether they are. Why isn't it good enough that some of us want the peace of mind we derive from running a separator, while others are more comfortable remaining 100% stock...?
/End rant

Shelby is about to release their oil separator. It doesn't use a filter media and is suppose to be plug & play. Hopefully there will be pictures and more information shortly.
I'lll stick with Bob's separator from Revan Racing. No need to get up early in the morning and try to win a lottery to score one, nor do I have to wait months for some historically accurate manufacturer to turn them out at a snail's pace...

Last edited:

Cam

n/a
Established Member

The days of adding Mystery Oil to your fuel are over, oil does not belong in the combustion process, or covering the heat exchangers in a forced induction car.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...eparator-pics-intercooler-lower-manifold.html

I do agree with your last point, but I doubt a dealer has ever denied a warranty claim due to a properly installed and maintained catch can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread