Catch can ruined supercharger.

Aero7

Established Member
I've heard some wacky theories but this one takes the cake. To believe that an integral part such as a supercharger bearing assembly would be engineered to rely on a source of lubrication that is as variable and inconsistent as the PCV system is asinine.

If this were true then a rear bearing failed would cause the prices be sucked into the intake tract. Re-tar-did.

Yeah,

I highly doubt Ford engineered the engine to have blowby to be sucked into the intake to lube bearings that aren't in the airflow path.....

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
So a random dude tells you a dealer told him that lack of oil blowing back ruined his SC....please next time someone says " well my dealer said..." just stop them right there. Unless they show you proof, I take little what dealers say serious. I have had my share of experiences with their ridiculousness. Also be wary of random guys at car shows, I have already made 2 people look like fools trying to tell me non sense about my car, which neither owned.

hognutz

Established Member
:burn: flame suit on.

I just left a mustang show and a guy with a 12 gt500 said his supercharger was making terrible screeching noises. Took it to the dealer and they said his rear SC bearing went out. They said it was due to lack I oil caused by the catch can trapping oil before it got to the SC.

Kinda got me scared. Don't want my bobs can to ruin my SC...

:pop:

if that really happed they are full of crap. the oil that gets injested by the engine due to the PVC system is not by design and is not supposed to lubricate anything.

can you imagine how horrible your car would run if it just always ingested oil to lubricate the supercharger?

Crushinator

Established Member
Yeah,

I highly doubt Ford engineered the engine to have blowby to be sucked into the intake to lube bearings that aren't in the airflow path.....

My question is why did Ford engineer the engine to have blowby period? Why don't they put an oil separater on from the factory? For what they cost, why not just put them on and save themselves the headaches of dealing with problems related to oil in the intake system?

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
What about the muffler bearings?!? They also rely on blow-by oil for lubrication!!

Somebody think of the muffler bearings!!!!!

Car show mustang talk is the best isn't it.

Shoot better check my Eaton rear bearings. I have a check valve and JLT prefilter on the driver side. Ahhh

Last edited:

Aero7

Established Member
OP,

He wasn't saying you were lying. He was talking about the guy that told you.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
My question is why did Ford engineer the engine to have blowby period? Why don't they put an oil separater on from the factory? For what they cost, why not just put them on and save themselves the headaches of dealing with problems related to oil in the intake system?

It is all about cost. Saving a few cents makes you a hero as a design responsible engineer. Suggesting a catch can would get you fired (or sent to Chrysler) for so many reasons.

All internal combustion engines produce blowby, it is how well the engineers do on the PCV system that determines the quantity of oil entering the intake manifold.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
That reminds me of a time last fall when a guy at a carshow told me his 2010 GT500 was the last year of Kona Blue because of the Daiichi ***ushima disaster in Japan preventing further supply of that color. I had just priced out a 2011 Kona stripe delete car earlier in the day. Believe less than half what you hear at carshows.

91svtbird

Established Member
That is absolute nonsense. The rear bearing do not rely on oil mist from the intake for lubrication, they typically use a very high quality synthetic grease, not used motor oil. I've taken apart enough Eatons to say that motor oil does not migrate to the rear bearing from the rotors.

The needle bearings used in the rear of these superchargers are sealed and lubed in construction of the bearings. Engine oil has nothing to do with the life or failure of the bearings to begin with.

if that really happed they are full of crap. the oil that gets injested by the engine due to the PVC system is not by design and is not supposed to lubricate anything.

can you imagine how horrible your car would run if it just always ingested oil to lubricate the supercharger?

Agree 100% with all the above.

The front SC gear case is lubed with a special SC oil the front bearing itself is sealed,
SuperChargeroil.jpg

The two rear rotor shaft bearing's are needle type bearings which require a special "grease" not oil, especially not engine oil.
Rotortubebefore.jpg

Ford designed a scupper and a special metered drain located at the bottom of the lower intake housing. It is connected back up to the SC inlet using a special molded hose. This is to allow any excess oil which has been drawn into the intake through the PCV system and not initially burned to accumulate at the bottom of the lower intake housing where it can be reintroduced and atomized in the intake airflow and then burned.
IMG_3437.jpg

With a Supercharger system this issue is obviously a much more important consideration that needed to be addressed compared to a NA application largely due to the extreme airflow/vacuum a SC produces in the inlet airflow stream. The use of a "catch can" would only be an addition to the much needed existing factory design therefore an added cost Ford probably didn't see necessary.

That said a good catch can system would only serve to enhance and improve the quality of the airflow and combustion and have no ill effect on supercharger operation, Example:>Here is the custom catch can system on my car shown here remotely located on the driver side fender well ..My very first mod too :)
20130105_075215.jpg

20121226_oilseplinespassside.jpg

Last edited:

spray'n mach 1

Established Member

at stock boost levels the blow by isn't alot, it's when us gear heads put smaller pulleys on that the blow by gets elevated.

mike69440

Established Member
Oil Mist Lubrication

Thats a new one about an oil seperator causing blower failure!

Rotors are designed to run dry with only very light contact on the rotor seals.

Oil mist Lubrication works very well in industrial applications of high speed equipment.

However Oil Mist is not what is used on most superchargers.

The Superchargers I am aware of use and OIL BATH.

I'm not saying oil mist would not be a good lubrication metohod as oil churn and heat buildup would be eliminated.

You would need a seperate mist generator and isolate the rotors from the bearings with expensive seals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013cobraman
The needle bearings used in the rear of these superchargers are sealed and lubed in construction of the bearings. Engine oil has nothing to do with the life or failure of the bearings to begin with.

Quote:

Kluber Grease or similar

Engine oil would not be used, Oil would be specific for the bearings.

Bearings would run cooler due to no oil churm.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
That said a good catch can system would only serve to enhance and improve the quality of the airflow and combustion and have no ill effect on supercharger operation, Example:>Here is the custom catch can system on my car shown here remotely located on the driver side fender well ..My very first mod too :)
20130105_075215.jpg

20121226_oilseplinespassside.jpg

GREAT post. NICE setup! May I ask where you got the braided hose/lines and heat-shrink clamps you used?

mullens

Established Member

GREAT post. NICE setup! May I ask where you got the braided hose/lines and heat-shrink clamps you used?

Looks alot like the Bobs unit drawing from the bottom of the can. A sound design for sure. George does your unit have filter media?

Users who are viewing this thread