catch can install

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
do you need to use 2 pcv valves one on each side to make it work:shrug: also what did you mount your can too i have a 97 and coil packs are in the way it seams?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
You don't have to run a PCV valve at all, but since it acts as a check valve, there is no harm in doing so. they are about $7 each, so why not.

I mounted it to my blower bracket.

If you don't have a centrifugal blower, you should have plenty of space to mount it along the engine bay sheet metal.

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
ok. I suppose they are less invasive, but they are also less effective.

I have been researching different options on what would be most efficient for less money. One of the main things that turned me off to the air compressor separator is it's propensity to get filled up with oil rather quick-like. Some people have said that as soon as the glass gets filled half-way up with oil, the contents gets sucked into the intake.
Also some people have recommended that the filter inside gets clogged up quicky too, and even can get damaged and break into little pieces, causing FOD to get sucked into the engine. Taking out the filter is recommended.
The JLT unit's filter inside is the same Ford OEM part that is used to filter the PVC system in the 5 liter engines. JLT makes the housing so it can fit inside. It's easy to clean; every oil change you pop it out and clean it. According to JLT on various sites, he piggy-backed an air compressor filter ahead of the unit and noticed a decrease in oil getting through. About 6 months of heavy driving in an '03 Cobra netted only about a teaspoon of oil getting past the JLT filter in 6 months time.

Quadcammer

Established Member
I have been researching different options on what would be most efficient for less money. One of the main things that turned me off to the air compressor separator is it's propensity to get filled up with oil rather quick-like. Some people have said that as soon as the glass gets filled half-way up with oil, the contents gets sucked into the intake.
Also some people have recommended that the filter inside gets clogged up quicky too, and even can get damaged and break into little pieces, causing FOD to get sucked into the engine. Taking out the filter is recommended.
The JLT unit's filter inside is the same Ford OEM part that is used to filter the PVC system in the 5 liter engines. JLT makes the housing so it can fit inside. It's easy to clean; every oil change you pop it out and clean it. According to JLT on various sites, he piggy-backed an air compressor filter ahead of the unit and noticed a decrease in oil getting through. About 6 months of heavy driving in an '03 Cobra netted only about a teaspoon of oil getting past the JLT filter in 6 months time.

Im a touch confused here.

I agree oil separators are not an ideal solution, but my setup is not one.

The catch can works like this.

Any oil that exits the PCV valves goes into the catch can, and can NO way re-enter the motor. There is no filter inside, just a baffle. The breather on top is to allow air to escape.

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
Im a touch confused here.

I agree oil separators are not an ideal solution, but my setup is not one.

The catch can works like this.

Any oil that exits the PCV valves goes into the catch can, and can NO way re-enter the motor. There is no filter inside, just a baffle. The breather on top is to allow air to escape.

The little white, cylindrical thing is the filter.
Pneumatics & Hydraulics > Air Treatment > General Purpose Filter Element > Filter Element : Grainger Industrial Supply

It may be true that the unit will not suck the oil back in, that is just what I have read on-line. Just wanted to tell people about other options, that's all.

Last edited:

Solo500

Established Member
So, without one of these setups... the oil is going into my intake and into my throttle body? WTF?

p.s. I'm N/A

Quadcammer

Established Member
04, it holds a quart of oil, so I'd say maybe once a year, if that.

Solo, if you ever take your intake hat off, you'll see the oil residue.

its a common problem.

Nazman

Established Member
That looks good. How often do you think you'll have to empty it out? Not much?

On my set-up I only get residue, I dont have to empty it out or anything may be thru a year or so, I may get an ounce of oil if that, but its my set-up and some cars are just sick passing oil.

Benefits are:

No oil to affect your AFR
Oil mist will lower octane and aid with detoantion
Cleaner emissions (no oil to burn)
Cleaner intake manifold, TB, etc.

Naz

omj

Established Member
Is the mist/oil pulled into the can by the air leaving breather? I'm looking at the picture and it looks good, I just can't figure how you get the oil to come to the can without a vaccuum source from the engine.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
This is how much my oil separator picks up in about a weeks worth of driving and this is just a portion of what it catches since the rest is aerosolized oil vapor that still passes through and continues into my intake. With Quad's setup, I should be filling up his type of catch can pretty quickly.

264965.jpg

Janstang

Established Member
Is the mist/oil pulled into the can by the air leaving breather? I'm looking at the picture and it looks good, I just can't figure how you get the oil to come to the can without a vaccuum source from the engine.
You're not trying to encourage it to go to the catch can per say.. Your engine will have a certain amount of blow-by based on what kind of mechanical condition its in, plus that varies whether you are at idle or WOT. That blow-by is what will be coming through the lines to the catch can. The worse the blow-by the more oil/mist you see. Prior to the catch can setup my lower intake always had some oil laying in the bottom. After the catch can setup its always stayed dry. On my setup I would check it monthly. Never seen any oil, but I got alot of moisture/water in the catch can. Based off what happened to my car mid-season I'm pretty sure I now know why that was.

Janstang

Established Member
The moisture I was accumulating in the can was from a crack that developed in one of my cylinders(backside of that cylinders is your cooling jacket) and grew over the season until it finally killed the engine.

Quadcammer

Established Member
This is how much my oil separator picks up in about a weeks worth of driving and this is just a portion of what it catches since the rest is aerosolized oil vapor that still passes through and continues into my intake. With Quad's setup, I should be filling up his type of catch can pretty quickly.

right, but you have engine vaccum pulling the oil through, I do not.

Users who are viewing this thread