Career Advice- Law Enforcement.

Blackness03

Established Member
Good luck. No way I could be a cop and deal with shitty people all day. If you've never drank before, you probably will after you get the job.

KITT

Established Member
Hey Jeff, hopefully you've watched the movie Courageous, your job isn't going to be the reason for a divorce, it's how you treat life. God be with you my friend!

Curt

daustin

Established Member
As mentioned before, common sense will get you far through the testing process. I can't stress honesty through the process enough either. Be 100% truthful on your background; even if it seems really minor, list it. If you don't list it, and they find it, which they will, you will be DQ'd. I'm an LEO and currently do backgrounds.

If you make it to an academy, it will be tough. Don't quit. We lost 50% of our academy class with about 30% of those quitting due to the pressure. It's a game. They break you down, build you back up, then the process starts all over again. Looking back, the academy was one of the most fun times of my life. If you asked me at the time though, my answer would have been different.

As for divorce, it's true that LEO's have a higher rate of divorce than other professions. That will all depend on the couple. Leave your job on the job and leave home at home. Having been an LEO for almost nine years now, my marriage is stronger than ever and LE really is a rewarding profession.

The climate of law enforcement in general sucks right now though. That will change. It goes through cycles.

Good luck!

JeffSeb

Established Member
Update: I received a conditional job offer working for Bellevue PD.

Still have poly/psych/medical to make it official but it's looking pretty promising!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Congrats man! Im applying at Everett for their next screening in May. I feel the same calling to the job as I did to the Marines so I know how compelled you feel.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Good luck buddy. Being an LEO seems high risk with low rewards(pay)

JeffSeb

Established Member
Congrats man! Im applying at Everett for their next screening in May. I feel the same calling to the job as I did to the Marines so I know how compelled you feel.

I'm still in the process for Everett, but I think Bellevue would be a better long term fit for me.

At 0500 on a Saturday I took a ride along with Everett. In the next few hours I saw traffic accident/business break in/ auto accident at a gas station starting a fire/ domestic violence- booked in jail/robbery involving a firearm... It was insanely entertaining but may not be a good long term fit for me. L

Bellevue had its own excitement, but much lower key and a completely different feel.

Best of luck to you, if Everett gives a better offer I may see you there.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I'm still in the process for Everett, but I think Bellevue would be a better long term fit for me.

At 0500 on a Saturday I took a ride along with Everett. In the next few hours I saw traffic accident/business break in/ auto accident at a gas station starting a fire/ domestic violence- booked in jail/robbery involving a firearm... It was insanely entertaining but may not be a good long term fit for me. L

Bellevue had its own excitement, but much lower key and a completely different feel.

Best of luck to you, if Everett gives a better offer I may see you there.

My good friend from the Marines, Tad, just went full duty with Everett and he already has stories like that after 2 weeks on. Everett is rough but their pay seems to be really good in comparison to everyone else and they are really looking for former military. My only hesitation with Seattle and Bellevue is their high profile which I feel might make them overly strict and a little too PC. It's pretty well known that SPD is in a lot of ways restricted from doing their jobs. Everywhere will have it's trade-offs though, and Im sure Bellevue would be a great option of the three due to it's higher profile.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
it's really tough to become a LEO these days

It is, but more so in the larger cities. Small towns (like mine) offer a better job overall. I would be VERY picky about where I applied. I absolutely would never want to apply to work in a larger city.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I've worked in corrections for over 15 years state and federal. The divorce rate in any law enforcement is high. I know my personality has changed in that time. It's hard not to be negative when that's what you deal with every day. Like others have said realize this can happen and don't let it affect your relationships and livelihood. This can also lead to alcoholism and suicide, which are also a sad reality of law enforcement.

JeffSeb

Established Member
My good friend from the Marines, Tad, just went full duty with Everett and he already has stories like that after 2 weeks on. Everett is rough but their pay seems to be really good in comparison to everyone else and they are really looking for former military. My only hesitation with Seattle and Bellevue is their high profile which I feel might make them overly strict and a little too PC. It's pretty well known that SPD is in a lot of ways restricted from doing their jobs. Everywhere will have it's trade-offs though, and Im sure Bellevue would be a great option of the three due to it's higher profile.

That's funny, I met Tad on my ride along. He was really helpful about the academy.

His FTO didn't seem like the most helpful person by the little bit of interaction I saw.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
That's funny, I met Tad on my ride along. He was really helpful about the academy.

His FTO didn't seem like the most helpful person by the little bit of interaction I saw.

Lol that's awesome. I had a feeling you might have run into him. He's a good dude though and funny as hell. Him and I were in the same RTT platoon in Security Forces when we were in the Marines and most of us from that platoon have been really close ever since. Our other friend from RTT, Jason, who is in California is actually applying to Everett the same time as me also.

Do you know when your academy class starts?

JeffSeb

Established Member
Lol that's awesome. I had a feeling you might have run into him. He's a good dude though and funny as hell. Him and I were in the same RTT platoon in Security Forces when we were in the Marines and most of us from that platoon have been really close ever since. Our other friend from RTT, Jason, who is in California is actually applying to Everett the same time as me also.

Do you know when your academy class starts?
I had the medical test and Chiefs interview today, both went well. I still have psych/poly to pass, but even then the police academy has not been funded for the next session so they are not taking any new recruits right now.

They extended the legislative session another 30 days so hopefully they will get it all in the final budget.

Users who are viewing this thread