Career Advice- Law Enforcement.

JeffSeb

Established Member
Long story short leaving a job of 9 years to pursue something I can make a career out of.

Currently applied to Washington State Patrol and another local PD. Has anyone taken the tests that could offer and advice/resources to pass?

Any current LEO's with advice on what to look for before taking a position?

cbj5259

Established Member
There are several online preparation sites that will provide you with sample tests and oral board questions (for a fee). I would recommend using one to prepare. A police oral board is not like any interview you have ever taken. They will be hostile, ask you questions to intentionally trip you up and they will try to get you to contradict yourself. They want to see what you are made of and if you will crumble under pressure or get angry and lash out. Remember, it's all an act.

As far as the career goes, make sure you really consider what you are getting yourself into. It's a different world out there now then from what I started out in over 17 years ago. If I was just starting out now as opposed to when I did, I would not choose to be a LEO. Your friendships will change, you will miss important family events and holidays and the odds are that you will get divorced at least once. That is the reality of the job.

bleedout

Established Member
To each his own, good luck if that's what you wish to pursue. I was Leo for 5 plus years and honestly I got burnt out after 2 years or so, however I was in a big city but I would really have a hard time being a cop in 2015 with the spot light on cops and all the scrutiny and big brother always watching you, body cams ect. Just a shame these days on what the publics perspective is on police and their tactics and use of force, most of the public being antipolice yet a huge percentage of public could not become a cop themselves nor would want to take on that responsibility.

bleedout

Established Member
btw if you have any questions or concerns, ive been there and feel free to ask

JeffSeb

Established Member
Here's where I'm at.
I see what's happening on the news, which is part of the reason I am looking at this as an option. A quote comes to mind- all that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Current employment is 70hrs a week (6 days on 1 off) on call 24/7/365. The time and not being able to make the bbq's and long weekends is my life.

The only thing said that I'm not ok with is "you will probably get divorced at least once" that's not acceptable to me.

I've been pretty straight laced my whole life. I have a fantastic wife and a little girl. Never taken a smoke, never taken a drink of alcohol, no drugs. If it's possible to do the job the accountability of body cams doesn't bother me (yet).

I think the tests will push me pretty far, we will see if I am even eligible to move on to the next step.

mustanginky

Established Member
I'm not sure what it's like where you live, but I know for me working probation and parole were m-f day shift. You may also like that career path.

97ReoCobra

Established Member
I love watching "Alaska State Troopers" on netflix! Looks like a blast. But I know I would just end up shooting someone. So many assholes in the world these days.

cbj5259

Established Member
The only thing said that I'm not ok with is "you will probably get divorced at least once" that's not acceptable to me.

Nothing is for certain and every marriage is different. I'm just going on what I see amongst all the guys at work. I would say about 7 out of every 10 guys who have at least 10 years on the job have been divorced at least once (me included). Some multiple times (which I really don't get why someone would get married a 3rd or 4th time...). You may end up as one of the successful ones and if so that's great, but like I said the odds are against you.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have a wife and kid(s) then becoming a LEO is the one of the last things i'd do. But thats me. Duty to family(direct) > society.

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
Here's where I'm at.
I see what's happening on the news, which is part of the reason I am looking at this as an option. A quote comes to mind- all that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Current employment is 70hrs a week (6 days on 1 off) on call 24/7/365. The time and not being able to make the bbq's and long weekends is my life.

I've been pretty straight laced my whole life. I have a fantastic wife and a little girl. Never taken a smoke, never taken a drink of alcohol, no drugs. If it's possible to do the job the accountability of body cams doesn't bother me (yet).

I think the tests will push me pretty far, we will see if I am even eligible to move on to the next step.

I think that statement is based off statistics, but there are always exceptions to the rule. I married my wife when I had just turned 19 and was leaving for deployment. The military divorce rate at the time was around 110% for first enlistments, meaning guys were having multiple divorces per enlistment. Its a reality but not impossible to break the cycle. I have now been married for over 10 years, have 2 kids, with 4 combat deployment, and multiple TAD trips.

byeofcr

Established Member
Your marriage will survive as long as you leave the job at the job.. its easier said than done sometimes, you will see some things you wouldnt wish on anyone and when we have bad days they can carry over to home pretty easily. With that said.. your wife will need to be understanding of your career choice and support you and the missed holidays birthdays long shifts etc.. not to forget the academy where your life is pretty much tied up for 6 months.

I was jack of all trades held many jobs.. none as rewarding or exciting as law enforcement.. however like stated previous, its not what it was.. you are putting your life on the line.. even if its just getting gas. People will hate you because of a uniform and may want to kill you. You have to accept this.. youll be scared out of your mind occasionally but you have to choke those feelings down and cowboy up to the task..

Its a brotherhood and once your in, youll see what its about.

Oh and the tests arent really all that hard.. common sense will be the main issue.. like.. would you ticket your neighbor for a minor traffic offense...

JeffSeb

Established Member
Thanks, I officially resigned my job today. So all the chips are on the table. Watching all the videos and taking all the practice tests I can.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Reminds me of when I wanted to be a LEO. I did well on the physical and written tests. My sponsor said I had a good chance of being picked up compared to most of my cohorts in the process. When I didn't get selected I was baffled. Sponsor couldn't say why exactly but he did rub his arm and indicated that I was a shade too light. That experience really turned me off from the whole idea. But in the end it was for the best. No way would I want to be in that career field now.

97ReoCobra

Established Member
Big step. All the best to you.
Hint: On the neighbor question, tase him to not show favoritism, then let him off with a warning so he doesn't piss on your lawn. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I officially resigned my job today. So all the chips are on the table. Watching all the videos and taking all the practice tests I can.

Users who are viewing this thread