Car in shop for engine knocking

SicShelby09

Banned
Mine had about 100 miles on the car when it first went in to the shop. Received a check engine light from a bad catalytic converter morning after my purchase. So I had them check out the noise when it went in for that repair.

It went into the shop again with about 1500 miles on it after the noise started to get worse.

Then again this last time at jut over 4000 miles.

Car is and has been completely stock, has not been raced in any form, on the street or at the track. Oil replaced at 25% oil life per the onboard computer with Motorcraft fill from the dealer I'm working with.

For all intensive purposes this car has been handled exactly how Ford would have engineered it to be handled by a typical owner.

I hear ya. I want to mod this thing so bad, but I know that in the case of something serious like this engine knock, ford is going to go over this car with a fine tooth comb. Looks like its going to have to stay stock for a while. My wife will be happy for sure.

wiskey32582

1998 SVT Cobra (Black)

Good for you **** ford and all these problems that the new 5.0 is having ...you really tell me they tested this car for months before it came out :bs:

If they did they would of found all the flaws ... manual trans problems , clutch pedal sticking to the floor, flywheel bolts falling out, seat ripping at the seams , whats with all the rear end problems and and dont forget you knocking or ticking coming from the valve cover area... which is not the injectors or cam phasers ... What I was told is Ford has a number of the new cams in the 5.0 OFF CENTER causing this problem ...and there is no fix along with the manual six speed period .

If you see 5.0 for sale at the dealership dont buy them because there is a number a cars being bought back under the lemon law and the dealers are trying to sell them back to the new buyer.

I have a 1998 svt cobra. The 32v 4.6L Dohc that it has in it had the same hydrolic lash adjuster tick in the top end. Luckily the ticking sound is now drownded out by the rod knocking cause I spun a bearing on the crank shaft. The motor and tranny are out of the car, both still awaiting a rebuild. Bummer cause summer is here!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yes, I received a call from Ford customer service today. An engineer will be taking a look at the car today and they will update me on Monday.

Ronn

Well i wish you luck. I had my car in the shop 2 times for this. The first time, they said yes we feel it too. They said Ford would get to them on a fix. So 2 months went by. I called again, so again the car went back in. My car had a tap when i took it in. After 4 days of them having the car, they said they couldnt feel or hear anything. Well i went back, and they were right, now it was very faint in sound and feel. Now 6 months later, afetr getting the car out for the summer, its starting to come back. So i will see how it goes, but this time i will goto a different dealer. Ronn

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Well here's where it stands right now. I got a message from my service advisor yesterday that I could pick up the car, which I did this morning.

A FSE can out and took a look at the car yesterday. Verified my concern and still stated no repairs at this time, normal engine characteristic. The message that was left for me by my service advisor said there was no fix at this time, one is coming and there's no detriment to the vehicle.

So I'm back at square one it appears. If all I'm going to get is normal normal normal from everybody, I will accept that at this time.

However I'll be calling Ford Customer Service again on Monday and explaining that I am not satisfied with the noise, especially since the team working on my car feels that it's not normal. Hopefully they will actually tell me what is normal about the characteristic, as so far nobody has been able to tell me why it's normal.

I have copies of all the documentation from all of the service that has been done and I will hold on to that for future reference if anything happens. At this point all I can do is drive the vehicle. I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can. If something happens with the engine in the future, Ford will have to deal with myself and a lawyer.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
Well here's where it stands right now. I got a message from my service advisor yesterday that I could pick up the car, which I did this morning.

A FSE can out and took a look at the car yesterday. Verified my concern and still stated no repairs at this time, normal engine characteristic. The message that was left for me by my service advisor said there was no fix at this time, one is coming and there's no detriment to the vehicle.

So I'm back at square one it appears. If all I'm going to get is normal normal normal from everybody, I will accept that at this time.

However I'll be calling Ford Customer Service again on Monday and explaining that I am not satisfied with the noise, especially since the team working on my car feels that it's not normal. Hopefully they will actually tell me what is normal about the characteristic, as so far nobody has been able to tell me why it's normal.

I have copies of all the documentation from all of the service that has been done and I will hold on to that for future reference if anything happens. At this point all I can do is drive the vehicle. I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can. If something happens with the engine in the future, Ford will have to deal with myself and a lawyer.

not the greatest news, but that is the response i expected. at least your issues are well documented so if it gets worse or the engine fails, you shouldn't have a problem with the warranty coverage.

i am disappointed with ford right now. they way they are handling the new mustang transmission/clutch issues and the engine tick issues has left a sour taste in my mouth. i had full intentions of buying a new explorer very soon since i have a baby on the way, but i am starting to have second thoughts about it.

Ronn

Well at the very least, we should be asking for an extended WTY. I will see how the oil change goes. Ronn

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
ell this will be the last update for this for a while.

Last weekend I did pick up my car from the shop with no repair being performed. I spoke with both my Service Manager as well as Sarah with Ford Customer service.

Ford's current official response is that the knocking is an engine characteristic that has no detriment to usage or longevity. The Field Service Engineer who's name apparently was Brian had personally looked at about 5 cars with the same issue in my region. I don't know how large the regions are for sampling purposes however.

With that said, both my service manager and ford customer service did say that ford engineering is working on this issue because they realize it's a nuisance. I'm hopeful that just isn't a line of crap. While I don't notice driveability issues, nuisance is definitely the word for it.

FWP!

Established Member
I'd be so pissed. I'd take it to a track and beat the piss out of it until it REALLY started making some noise.

SicShelby09

Banned
ell this will be the last update for this for a while.

Last weekend I did pick up my car from the shop with no repair being performed. I spoke with both my Service Manager as well as Sarah with Ford Customer service.

Ford's current official response is that the knocking is an engine characteristic that has no detriment to usage or longevity. The Field Service Engineer who's name apparently was Brian had personally looked at about 5 cars with the same issue in my region. I don't know how large the regions are for sampling purposes however.

With that said, both my service manager and ford customer service did say that ford engineering is working on this issue because they realize it's a nuisance. I'm hopeful that just isn't a line of crap. While I don't notice driveability issues, nuisance is definitely the word for it.

Well atleast its well documented and if there is ever an issue with it you are covered. But that also means you probably wont ever be able to do any major mods. That part sucks.

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
Just talked to my Ford rep working on my buy back, and she said that she heard of the engine knock issue and that the engineers were seriously looking into it. I told her that mine is doing it too, not as bad as yours. She also said that they follow all the big ford enthusiast sites like this one, and know that people are bitching about this stuff. Big brother ford is watching like a hawk. No ETA on a fix though.

sgt_Muffy

hey, I'm new to the forum, and actually created an acct just to reply in here. I'm curious to see if OP has any updates on whats happened. I have a 2011 5.0 (6spd) and I'm having serious issues now as well. Aside from my minor issues of interior door panels peeling apart, and paint bubble under the paint, my motor has the 5.0 death rattle. Hell, my buddies in the mustang club now call my car "rattle can". I took it to my dealership here in NW FL back when the rattle was barely noticeable, like a baseball card in bike spokes. I dont have a recording, but it sounded like a 90's civic valvetrain noise on a cold winter morning. The biggest problem with the whole issue is power loss. When I accelerate, power drops off at 3k rpm, and at 5k someone turns the lights back on. No CEL, no smoke, just a weird power drop with a rattle. After taking it to the dealership twice, on the third time the finally hooked it up and found that my computer was retarding time at 3k and returning it at 5. The more throttle input, the worse the power drop. Since my last visit with them, I no have a steady engine knock coming from the back driver's side of the motor. Definitely coming from the block. Ford is apparently bringing in an FSE here in a few days, so we'll see what the issue is. The car is stock, except for the exhaust. Stock pipes, but I've removed the mufflers, resonators, and welded up an X-pipe. Stock cats and headers, so theres no tune. I have driven it hard, but no hardcore abuse. Just wanted post so the folks know that there's more than one person having engine issues without having the car tuned... :burn:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
2yr old thread... :nonono:

OP was given another car by FMC and then ended up trading for a Vette if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread