Car in shop for engine knocking

SicShelby09

Banned
I'm not trying to fleece Ford in any way. The car already has an extended warranty on it as well as the maintenance plan.

All I want is for the car to be made right so that I can get back to enjoying it!

Understood. You are a much kinder person than I.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Just got off the phone with my service adviser. The technicians have gone as far as they can go on an external diagnosis. There will be an FSE coming to take a look at the car tomorrow and they will likely open up the engine to do a visual inspection of the bottom end.

Could be without my steed for an estimated week and a half. Bummer.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
This is not the issue I am having. My engine has no cold start operation issues. What happens with my vehicle occurs as the engine warms up to operating temperature.

Yea, sorry. Wrong knock.

I have read recently where they have rebuilt/replaced motors for the knock you described. See here:

Severe 2011 5.0 issue - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

At first, they tried all kinds of kooky stuff. One guy posted last fall (and I later spoke with him via phone) that they replaced his oil with 5w-50 for the knock felt through the shifter, but that didn't work. Eventually, they sent him home with the "normal characteristic" BS and a 100k mile extended warranty.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I just spoke with my service advisor again. Ford did not send an engineer, but the dealership has placed their recommendations to Ford. They can't accurately diagnose the issue, but it doesn't sound like Ford wants them to take it apart at this time.

They are waiting to hear back from Ford with what they're going to do. It sounds like whatever that is might keep the car in the shop for a bit. They are sending my a rental car tomorrow.

SicShelby09

Banned
I just spoke with my service advisor again. Ford did not send an engineer, but the dealership has placed their recommendations to Ford. They can't accurately diagnose the issue, but it doesn't sound like Ford wants them to take it apart at this time.

They are waiting to hear back from Ford with what they're going to do. It sounds like whatever that is might keep the car in the shop for a bit. They are sending my a rental car tomorrow.

Well $hit. I just picked up my job2 2011 last night and wouldnt you know it has this same f-ing knock. Not as bad as yours, but at warm idle I can hear it and feel it through the shifter. It wasnt doing it at the dealer, but after I put almost 200 miles on it, its now doing it. Please keep this thread updated because Im going to wait a few hundred miles to take mine in. Wouldnt you know it. And to think that a-hole a few pages back called me a homo for worrying about this issue and possibly not getting it because of it. Maybe I will return the car and get my GT500 back.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
More updates and I'm a little sick right now.

I spoke with the General Manager of the Dealership as well as the service manager and my service adviser. I though it was a little odd yesterday when Ford Customer Care called me and said that the tech's had reproduced the issue I have concerns with.

No kidding? Of course they did, I made a tech come take a drive with me. In fact we didn't even have to go for a drive before he agreed with what I was hearing.

At any rate, At this time the vehicle has mainly just been sitting. Ford is still trying to claim that the issue is normal, against the testimony of the tech's looking at the car as well as the service manager for the dealership. They are now fighting to have an engineer come look at the car. Though they didn't say Ford is denying that request, they did say that it can be several days of back and forth communication before that happens.

The General Manager at the dealership, needless to say is not too happy. I've already spent several hundred thousand in vehicles with that dealership and he's well aware that Ford's decisions may influence my future purchases. While I was on the phone with him, the service manager was going up the chain at Ford to at least get an engineer out to look at the car.

Even though the car is currently sitting, The dealership is paying for a rental car for me without Ford's authorization for one.

So the facts as it stands are Ford is as yet to fully cooperate in even diagnosing this car's condition. The dealership on the other hand is stepping up to the plate to come to a resolution.

It is my opinion (emphasis added) that Ford either knows what's going on with engines showing this symptom and doesn't want to do anything about it, or they have no clue what's going on and are trying to divert pressure away while they find a solution.

In either case I believe that Ford is attempting to shield themselves from problems relating to lemon laws by specifically denying repairs or diagnosis with a "Normal Operation" response. Reading most lemon laws to the letter, a case can't be filed because there have been no attempts at a repair.

I want to be clear that I'm not trying to get Ford to buy back my car, nor do I want to go the lemon law route. All I am asking is to have my car repaired to a satisfactory running condition.

What I'm coming to realize is that although the Customer Care representatives at Ford are nice and usually prompt, they are simply Drones without much if any authority to solve serious issues.

I'm still hopeful that a resolution can be found. I've looked at the new Camaro's again a well as the Challenger and...yeah those cars are pretty much the suck. Large, overgrown barges without a hint of aggression or substance.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
That's awesome that your dealer is handling it the way they are.

I'm at a loss over the rest of it though.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
sounds like the same runaround that ford is giving about all the transmission issues. "normal operation". what a crock...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I feel bad for anybody having issues where this may be the first Ford they've purchased. I'm in a unique situation in that between my father and I we've spent close to 1,000,000 at this one Ford dealership over the last decade.

Knowing that, you better believe the GM of this dealership is doing everything in his power to make it right. I certainly can't speak for my father on the issue, but if Ford can't get this fixed and I either have to end up going the lawyer route or trade the car off, I will never put another Ford in my driveway. Not only is that quite a bit of lost revenue for the dealership, but Ford itself. When you consider that I buy a new car about every year and a half.

The GM's comment to me in regards to me moving my business elsewhere was "Big Ford doesn't need to be losing it's customers either."

On a somewhat unrelated note, I'm driving a 2011 Charger as a rental right now. Initial observations are good. It's HUGE but it doesn't handle like a land barge.

SicShelby09

Banned
I drove mine around on lunch today, and it didnt do it when I was getting back to work while sitting at idle in the parking lot. It was fully warm too. Now my question to you is can you hear the knocking from outside the car too, or just from the inside. Because I heard it last night in the car when it was sitting in the garage, but when I got out and inspected I couldnt hear anything from under the hood or under the wheel wells.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I drove mine around on lunch today, and it didnt do it when I was getting back to work while sitting at idle in the parking lot. It was fully warm too. Now my question to you is can you hear the knocking from outside the car too, or just from the inside. Because I heard it last night in the car when it was sitting in the garage, but when I got out and inspected I couldnt hear anything from under the hood or under the wheel wells.

On mine it was fairly silent for a long time after I initially noticed it the day after I purchased the car. Enough so that I was actually satisfied with Ford's response that it was normal. Even though they couldn't tell me why it's normal.

However it has progressively gotten worse. Mine now can be heard at all times in idle operation as well as low speed driving under load. It can be heard in the car with windows up and down, outside of the car with the hood open or closed.

If you place your hand on the valve covers, specifically the passenger bank, you can physically feel the knock that is being produced.

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
On mine it was fairly silent for a long time after I initially noticed it the day after I purchased the car. Enough so that I was actually satisfied with Ford's response that it was normal. Even though they couldn't tell me why it's normal.

However it has progressively gotten worse. Mine now can be heard at all times in idle operation as well as low speed driving under load. It can be heard in the car with windows up and won, outside of the car with the hood open or closed.

If you place your hand on the valve covers, specifically the passenger bank, you can physically feel the knock that is being produced.

Im going to check mine out after the drive home to see if I can feel it. My car only has 200 miles on it.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Im going to check mine out after the drive home to see if I can feel it. My car only has 200 miles on it.

Mine had about 100 miles on the car when it first went in to the shop. Received a check engine light from a bad catalytic converter morning after my purchase. So I had them check out the noise when it went in for that repair.

It went into the shop again with about 1500 miles on it after the noise started to get worse.

Then again this last time at jut over 4000 miles.

Car is and has been completely stock, has not been raced in any form, on the street or at the track. Oil replaced at 25% oil life per the onboard computer with Motorcraft fill from the dealer I'm working with.

For all intensive purposes this car has been handled exactly how Ford would have engineered it to be handled by a typical owner.

Users who are viewing this thread