Car in shop for engine knocking

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I will get some video of the issue tonight or this weekend. Whenever I have time and there's adequate light.

If it's normal that's fine, but the fact that ford wont say what is causing the issue leads me to believe they don't know, in which case it's not "normal" because it would have been diagnosed during testing.

However the official ticket report from my dealer states that the symptom is being investigated by ford and no repair is recommended at this time.

So it sounds like Ford is at least aware of this complaint enough to make a statement on it.

I don't however enjoy the fact that Ford specifically had my car held at the dealer so they could look at it, only to go back and tell the dealer to just run a compression check and check the oil level. It doesn't take two days in the shop to do that.

Especially after the tech stated the noise was excessive. I'm going to contact customer service about the issue. They will of coarse refer me back to my dealer who will then have to contact the field engineer directly.

THe hoops are rather annoying when all I want is answer to "why."

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Good for you **** ford and all these problems that the new 5.0 is having ...you really tell me they tested this car for months before it came out :bs:

If they did they would of found all the flaws ... manual trans problems , clutch pedal sticking to the floor, flywheel bolts falling out, seat ripping at the seams , whats with all the rear end problems and and dont forget you knocking or ticking coming from the valve cover area... which is not the injectors or cam phasers ... What I was told is Ford has a number of the new cams in the 5.0 OFF CENTER causing this problem ...and there is no fix along with the manual six speed period .

If you see 5.0 for sale at the dealership dont buy them because there is a number a cars being bought back under the lemon law and the dealers are trying to sell them back to the new buyer.

Um, yeah, they probably did. Large scale manufacturing often introduces it's own set of problems. Many of the issues people are reporting likely have nothing to do with poor design, but rather quality control issues at the factory. Not that it makes it any better, but yeah, I believe Ford did test these vehicles, and now that they've gone into production they are finding issues with the cars likely to do construction techniques.

The only problem I've got with mine is the trans is difficult to shift when it's cold. After about 5 minutes of driving, this problem goes away completely. There is a light tick from my engine also, but nothing that I would have pegged as being abnormal. It doesn't sound much different than any other car I've ever owned actually. So they aren't all having issues.

To the OP, I have you tried the AC belt trick yet? It would be nice if it were so simple.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Um, yeah, they probably did. Large scale manufacturing often introduces it's own set of problems. Many of the issues people are reporting likely have nothing to do with poor design, but rather quality control issues at the factory. Not that it makes it any better, but yeah, I believe Ford did test these vehicles, and now that they've gone into production they are finding issues with the cars likely to do construction techniques.

I tend to believe it's "tolerance stack." Individual parts that fall within specified ranges; however, when multiple parts at the extremes of the acceptable ranges get used on the same engine, they create issues.

My problem has been how Ford has chosen to deal with these problems, not that they occurred in the first place.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I tend to believe it's "tolerance stack." Individual parts that fall within specified ranges; however, when multiple parts at the extremes of the acceptable ranges get used on the same engine, they create issues.

My problem has been how Ford has chosen to deal with these problems, not that they occurred in the first place.

I would buy that also. And I agree, while I'm not ok with problems, I tend to be tolerant of them provided the manufacturer takes care of them.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Unfortunately, I feel the need that I have to bring this back to the top.

After being in Contact with Ford several times we closed the case I had open with Customer Service. That was primarily my decision. Ford wanted the car back in the shop to look at some serpentine routing and a purge valve. I don't have the luxury to constantly have my car in the shop. I drive too and from work daily as well as to and from my office and our studio, including hauling clients around from hotels to our studio etc. Each time the car is in the shop I can't do my job, especially since the dealer won't give a loaner unless repairs are needed.

Unfortunately tonight after a drive home from visiting my parents, the car really started acting up. I decided to take a couple quick vids from my iPhone of what Ford states is a normal characteristic of the 5.0 engine.

The car just had an oil change yesterday and now is exhibiting a metallic click or tick that some others are reporting. This is a new symptom. The knocking which has been a part of this car since the day I purchased it is also now quite a bit worse this evening. I was able to capture some audio of how it quickens with the pace of RPM. It's very evident when I placed the phone towards the ground so you can hear what's going on under the car.

I'm not an ASE certified mechanic, but if Jim Bob brought his 350 Camaro to me sounding like this, the first thing I'd do is start diagnosing a rod bearing failure.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4c8_VNWfT4"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang 5.0 "Normal" Operation[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZRhLETpUg"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT, 5.0 "Normal Engine Characteristic"[/nomedia]

Unfortunately the audio quality of the iPhone doesn't translate all that well. When you have passengers asking you what that noise is without being prompted, that's not what I consider a good sign. Especially since I have to explain why my $40,000 car sounds like it's seen better days.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
It is difficult to hear the "knock" in the first video -- it can be heard but I'm betting the video is not giving it justice.

In the second video, you definitely have an idle tickiness. Towards the end of the recording, you can also hear the infamous "ignitor" tick.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
they have a fix for the tick. Everysingle one i have heard, has the knock noise cold. as soon as the temp gauge moves its gone. believe me if u had a rod nock and everyother car ford would have a pile of blown motors. Its normal for this motor to make noise when cold. its something to do with the belts and cam timing

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
they have a fix for the tick. Everysingle one i have heard, has the knock noise cold. as soon as the temp gauge moves its gone. believe me if u had a rod nock and everyother car ford would have a pile of blown motors. Its normal for this motor to make noise when cold. its something to do with the belts and cam timing

Shadowstang, he's not saying that his knocking is the "cold engine" knocking that has been referenced on the other site. He has an idle knocking felt through the gear shift that Ford has yet to fix (at least no one has posted that Ford was able to fix it).

Alas, let's put aside our difference in opinion on the cold noise. What is the "fix" you reference for the ticking?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member

My engine is smooth as silk when cold. The knocking gets worse as the engine heats up.

The tick is brand new starting last night. Others have experienced it after the first oil change, much as I am now.

If I get a chance today I'm gonna give Ford a call and reopen my ticket for these symptoms. They've been easy enough to mask simply by turning the radio up. It got extremely pronounced on me last night, signaling to me that there may be something more going on now.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Good luck with it. your not the only dud my man i lost number 8 on mine the other month and my warrantee has since been denied... yea ford is awsome:banana::burn:

kevinp

Established Member
I would cut the a/c belt and see what happens, let ford put one on under warranty if it doesnt fix it, make them pay for not putting a tensioner on it lol. If it goes away at least you know what it is and not the engine self destructing.

Mine was just as loud as that, when I would back in my garage I would swear it had a main bearing out of it if the driver window was down at times - I hated it and almost sold the car because of it. The lifter tick comes and goes still but I'm used to that by now.

Havent heard the knock since I cut the belt off, the roush blower has a spring tensioner on the AC belt and no more knock since I put it on.

I have also seen a couple posts about the same kind of knock caused by loose pressure plate bolts, if they pushed the clutch in it would change the noise.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Care to elaborate? Just wondering how the warranty got denied...

I believe he stated in a different thread that it was denied due to having a tune installed on the vehicle.

I have held off on any modifications because my issue hasn't been taken care of. I'm sure Ford and the Dealer would be quick to try and blame that. Another reason for my frustration. I'd like to add intake and exhaust with the requisite tune.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hey

If they don't fix it drain the oil into a drain pan and then start it up until it seizes then put the dirty oil back in it. That will guarantee you a new motor. :banana:

Well my car is in the shop with 2000 miles on it as of today.

From the day I purchased the car the engine has exhibited a slight knock or tap that develops as the engine warms up. This tapping can be felt through the gear shift lever as well as the pedals.

I had this initially looked at at 150 miles. Ford came back and said it was characteristic of engine. Ford stated it had to do with the accessary drive belt for the AC compressor. However my service adviser asked me to bring it back if the symptom got worse.

As the weather has been warming up the symptoms have gotten worse. To the point where you can now start hearing the knock over the radio. It went from being a morse-code type knock that was intermittent to a very rhythmic rpm driven knock.

Placing your hand on the valve covers, it feels as though something is physically hitting the engine and in no way is emanating from any of the engine drive belt assemblies.

I spoke with the service adviser this afternoon and the tech's looking at the car feel that the noise and vibration is excessive. A field engineer should be here tomorrow to take a look at the vehicle. My guess is they will ask to have the valve-covers and oil pan removed to inspect the engine. That's only my guess though.

I'll know more beyond that tomorrow.

I know that it's an engine and every once in a while even the best manufacturer churns out a dud, but man am I kind of disappointed that I purchased a first year vehicle, even if it is a Job 2 build.

Hopefully everything gets straightened out in a timely manor. The heat is coming and I want to play with my toy!

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
I believe he stated in a different thread that it was denied due to having a tune installed on the vehicle.

I have held off on any modifications because my issue hasn't been taken care of. I'm sure Ford and the Dealer would be quick to try and blame that. Another reason for my frustration. I'd like to add intake and exhaust with the requisite tune.

So your saying ford should pay for a motor, because it has some stupid tune in it, that leaned out a cylinder or caused the problem? That is the chance u take.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
So your saying ford should pay for a motor, because it has some stupid tune in it, that leaned out a cylinder or caused the problem? That is the chance u take.

:dw:

Did I say anything to the effect of the decision being correct or not? No, I stated simply what I recalled from this poster in a different thread. I have no knowledge of his circumstance, nor do I make any opinion either way on it.

it also has absolutely no bearing on my specific situation considering that my car is bone stock down to the paper filter.

I think i recall you stating somewhere that you had at one time or currently do work for Ford. In what capacity, I don't know. For that matter, I don't really care either. It's fine that you have pride in the company that you did or do work for. In fact, more people should have pride in their work.

However you are simply trolling threads relating to issues with these cars that do exist.

You've thrown a red hearing here and I don't appreciate it. Akin to calling me a liar in the face of evidence of which I have provided. If you watch both short clips that I've posted you'll notice that they rebuke your statements relating to a cold engine situation.

I also find it interesting to note that you want to twist my comments in a direction that fits your agenda, while completely ignoring others. You've been very critical of anybody claiming to have MT82 issues, complaining that they are causing a stir without due cause. You however are doing the exact same thing on the reverse.

Now, if you have something constructive to say that may help me to get my vehicle to a satisfactory operating condition, I would certainly appreciate it. Otherwise, please refrain from playing a roque and a scoundrel in my thread.

With that said I've gone ahead and reopened my case with Ford Customer service and will once again have the vehicle looked at. I've also scheduled an appointment with the GM for the dealership I've been taking the car to in order to try and leverage some additional support to get these issues satisfied.

1Quick4.6

Established Member

acually the car had intake, exhaust, and a tune. the tune was fine also but i'll get to that. the car was put back stock and it was denied for not having enough drive cycles and ford guessing that a tune had been on the car and used it as a scape goat. were they let the cat out the bag was talking to a tech that i know personally. According to Ford these cars have a problem with the number 8 cycl not being picked up by the knock sensors and guess what folks thats how these cars add timing for diff octane fuels.they do more than previous years. Ford also said that they are seeing alot of cars lossing number 8 the same way (rolling the compression ring over the piston only on number 8)HMM sounds like a faulty product to me. The tune that was on the car was a sct base file that only had the Af smothed out to 12.8-13:1 how many of those are out there yes i knew voids warrantee ok but then do it evenly to everyone. i did a lil research of mine own and found quite a few that did lose number 8 and got new motors including a guy named jeff from kingswood texas who took his to the dealership with basicly full bolts on with a tune all stayed on his car and he pick his up with a new motor the same day i pick mine up for not enough drive cycles.:rockon: oh and to qoute your text they had no idea if the tune was the issue they just used it as a scape goat they aready said it was a design flaw of the knock sensors....so if they are suppose to add timing using them for diff octanes boy i'd hate to get some bad gas at the pump on this 11:1 motor.

Sorry to the OP just answering 99rio and getting this other cowboy in here the correct info

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ Sounds good, thanks for the clarification. I think I'll hold off on a tune just a little longer so I'm sure all the bugs are worked out.

SicShelby09

Banned
To the OP, take your car down there with another 5.0 to show them that this is in fact NOT normal. If it is, then why is the other car not doing it? And dont stop until they fix it or lemon law it. This is really scaring the shite out of me. I am going to get a 2011 tomorrow and am seriously thinking twice.

wbt

Banned
To the OP, take your car down there with another 5.0 to show them that this is in fact NOT normal. If it is, then why is the other car not doing it? And dont stop until they fix it or lemon law it. This is really scaring the shite out of me. I am going to get a 2011 tomorrow and am seriously thinking twice.

...and why? There are thousands of owners out there who don't have a single issue. 1 person posts that they are having this or that and people start going into the fetal position. WTF.

Get your car and enjoy it.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread