Car in shop for engine knocking

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Well my car is in the shop with 2000 miles on it as of today.

From the day I purchased the car the engine has exhibited a slight knock or tap that develops as the engine warms up. This tapping can be felt through the gear shift lever as well as the pedals.

I had this initially looked at at 150 miles. Ford came back and said it was characteristic of engine. Ford stated it had to do with the accessary drive belt for the AC compressor. However my service adviser asked me to bring it back if the symptom got worse.

As the weather has been warming up the symptoms have gotten worse. To the point where you can now start hearing the knock over the radio. It went from being a morse-code type knock that was intermittent to a very rhythmic rpm driven knock.

Placing your hand on the valve covers, it feels as though something is physically hitting the engine and in no way is emanating from any of the engine drive belt assemblies.

I spoke with the service adviser this afternoon and the tech's looking at the car feel that the noise and vibration is excessive. A field engineer should be here tomorrow to take a look at the vehicle. My guess is they will ask to have the valve-covers and oil pan removed to inspect the engine. That's only my guess though.

I'll know more beyond that tomorrow.

I know that it's an engine and every once in a while even the best manufacturer churns out a dud, but man am I kind of disappointed that I purchased a first year vehicle, even if it is a Job 2 build.

Hopefully everything gets straightened out in a timely manor. The heat is coming and I want to play with my toy!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
That sucks. Keep us posted. Haven't heard about many engine problems with these things, just the trans issues so far. Hopefully your problem is a fluke, and not something we all start dealing with.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That sucks. Keep us posted. Haven't heard about many engine problems with these things, just the trans issues so far. Hopefully your problem is a fluke, and not something we all start dealing with.

I know of only one other failure that mimics the symptoms I have experienced with my car.

So that points to it not being a widespread problem fortunately.

As long as I'm taken care of in a timely manor everything will be good. So far I haven't been given the run-around.

bluestang41505

Established Member
+1 on having the warranty, I havn't had one for years lol. I thought I had rod knock about a year ago... sounded like my engine wanted to explode but my oil pressure and compression were fine... come to find out my air compressor was totally destroyed internally and every revolution had a terrible metal to metal crash that could be heard 50 feet away from the car.

Just saying, hope you get lucky and they don't have to get into the engine. At least it won't cost anything but time away from driving it.

I think FORD should pay use for not being able to drive our dream cars when a problem from the factory forces us to bring in it for service....

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I know of only one other failure that mimics the symptoms I have experienced with my car.

So that points to it not being a widespread problem fortunately.

As long as I'm taken care of in a timely manor everything will be good. So far I haven't been given the run-around.

That's good to know. I actually bought my car knowing I'd probably get the transmission issue, and knowing that Ford knew about it. Although I'm not thrilled about the car having any issues at all, I feel more comfortable about it knowing that they aren't giving people a ration of crap when they come in complaining about one.

If I thought Ford was going to give me the run around, or try to pin a problem on me (or if I had been reading threads of that nature) I wouldn't have bought the car. In my particular case I've already got a Ford customer service rep helping me get my appointments and such setup so that I can get the car looked at. All told, I'm satisfied with the customer service so far, now I just hope they can fix the issues so I can get on with enjoying the car already.

Best of luck to you man, I hope this is the last issue you have. :beer:

kevinp

Established Member
Mine has had a similar noise since day one (2K miles now), if I lay my hand on the RH valve cover you can feel it. Dealer says it normal, not loud enough to start taking things apart, bring it back with more miles etc.

Its not the 'ignitor tick' that many complain about, its more of the dull thud/knock coming from the right rear of the engine. I even took the valve cover off to look, also killed cylinders to see if it went away and it didnt. For now I just ignore it, putting a blower on soon so warranty will be void anyhow. Be a good reason for a forged shortblock if it lets go I guess.

I'm curious to see what they find with yours, mine isnt that loud and hasnt changed since new but who knows. If they find something on yours I may hold off on installing the blower and try to get Ford to fix it first. My guess is something with the cam drive/VCT, I've read about the A/C belt causing it since it doesnt use a tensioner but I'm not buying that just yet.

Last edited:

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Respectfully, anyone who says they haven't heard of this or similiar problems hasn't been doing many forum searches. There are numerous engine tick/knock/slap threads out there -- some on this forum. And the warranty doesn't help much if Ford can't figure out how to fix it.

The knock felt through the gear shifter has been posted before too (ALLFORDMUSTANGS forum). I actually spoke to the owner over the phone, who was at his wit's end and ready to file a lawsuit. I don't know how it was resolved, if at all.

OP, if they resolve it, please post details on the who, what, and how. Thanks.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
This is definitely MUCH different that the tick that some people are experiencing with the motor. That seems to be a valvetrain issue relating to the TiVCT.

If you heard this noise on any other car, mechanics would be screaming dead bearings in a heartbeat.

I should know more today, I'll keep you guys updated.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Respectfully, anyone who says they haven't heard of this or similiar problems hasn't been doing many forum searches. There are numerous engine tick/knock/slap threads out there -- some on this forum. And the warranty doesn't help much if Ford can't figure out how to fix it.

The knock felt through the gear shifter has been posted before too (ALLFORDMUSTANGS forum). I actually spoke to the owner over the phone, who was at his wit's end and ready to file a lawsuit. I don't know how it was resolved, if at all.

OP, if they resolve it, please post details on the who, what, and how. Thanks.

I assume this was directed at me. I have seen a few complaints of valvetrain noise, but nothing like the transmission issue posts. The one tick seems normal, every car I've owned has always made some level of valvetrain noise. The piston slap, and the knock are different, but seem much less common.

Again, I'm dissapointed that these issues exist at all, but as long as Ford takes care of the people that have them it doesn't worry me.

kevinp

Established Member
I assume this was directed at me. I have seen a few complaints of valvetrain noise, but nothing like the transmission issue posts. The one tick seems normal, every car I've owned has always made some level of valvetrain noise. The piston slap, and the knock are different, but seem much less common.

Again, I'm dissapointed that these issues exist at all, but as long as Ford takes care of the people that have them it doesn't worry me.

I have heard two other cars besides mine in person (brand new) that make the same knock as mine. Mine also started the lifter tick after the first oil chance and thats pretty loud and distinct, no missing that if you have it. That doesnt bother me since I know where that is coming from and it seems to be getting quieter after a while, plus over 2000 rpm it goes away.

Nothing more unsettling than something that sounds like a main bearing knock on a brand new car though, I checked the converter bolts, endplay on the crank, under the valve covers etc and I have no idea what it is. I dont hear it at all under the car when its running. Its very possible its the A/C belt like Ford says, my blower just arrived and I have to cut the A/C belt off anyhow so I'll see in a couple hours if thats the case.

The OPs car sounds pretty loud though, mine (and the other two I heard) the hood has to be open to hear it. the Ford techs heard it too but they claim 'normal.' We'll see I guess..

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Just got off the phone with the service adviser. Ford is still saying that this is normal operation. They state this is a normal characteristic of the engine. They will not however state what causes this noise and vibration.

How you can state this is normal operation but not know what or how the symptom is caused is beyond me.

At this point all I can do apparently is wait for a possible engine failure.

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
Just got off the phone with the service adviser. Ford is still saying that this is normal operation. They state this is a normal characteristic of the engine. They will not however state what causes this noise and vibration.

How you can state this is normal operation but not know what or how the symptom is caused is beyond me.

That's unfortunate to hear. It's obvious that something is wrong with the engine, and the fact that Ford won't recognize and correct it is very unprofessional.

You're right though, the only thing you can do is drive it until it blows up. That's a pretty unfortunate situation to be put in, and if or when it does happen I would definitely be on the phone with a regional Ford rep.

It's under warranty, and the noise is abnormal, so it should be covered. The service with these 2011 5.0L malfunctions has been far from good.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
This is B.S. When it costs too much to fix or too much to find a fix, they call it "normal." Normal is not the same as "common." How anyone could say that they trust Ford to fix this stuff is beyond me.

For what it's worth, I have the ignitor tick, an idle tick that sounds like lash adjusters, and the cold engine "piston slap." After about 8 trips to the dealer, failed attempts at fixing it, and a couple "normal operating characteristic" responses, I've gone the attorney route. All I wanted was a new engine, and they refused. I'm pretty sure they'll spend much more in defense fees than the cost of replacing my engine . . . and they've lost me as a repeat customer.

It might take a year, but I'm not letting them dismiss this.

Last edited:

apg2369

SNAKE OF ALL TRADES
Established Member
This is B.S. When it costs too much to fix or too much to find a fix, they call it "normal." Normal is not the same as "common." How anyone could say that they trust Ford to fix this stuff is beyond me.

For what it's worth, I have the ignitor tick, an idle tick that sounds like lash adjusters, and the cold engine "piston slap." After about 8 trips to the dealer, failed attempts at fixing it, and a couple "normal operating characteristic" responses, I've gone the attorney route. All I wanted was a new engine, and they refused. I'm pretty sure they'll spend much more in defense fees than the cost of replacing my engine . . . and they've lost me as a repeat customer.

Good for you **** ford and all these problems that the new 5.0 is having ...you really tell me they tested this car for months before it came out :bs:

If they did they would of found all the flaws ... manual trans problems , clutch pedal sticking to the floor, flywheel bolts falling out, seat ripping at the seams , whats with all the rear end problems and and dont forget you knocking or ticking coming from the valve cover area... which is not the injectors or cam phasers ... What I was told is Ford has a number of the new cams in the 5.0 OFF CENTER causing this problem ...and there is no fix along with the manual six speed period .

If you see 5.0 for sale at the dealership dont buy them because there is a number a cars being bought back under the lemon law and the dealers are trying to sell them back to the new buyer.

AmnDucky

Established Member

Are you an engine engineer? Do you have any authority to decide what is normal and what isn't?

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Are you an engine engineer? Do you have any authority to decide what is normal and what isn't?

every buddy thinks they an engineer online. im sure 70% are beating on them hard, and i have not really read of any blown motors. its a new motor. who knows whats normal.

kevinp

Established Member

Thats what two dealers have told me, normal. But if yours is that loud I cant see how that can be normal. Post up a video..

Earlier today I warmed the car up where I could plainly hear the knock, turned it off, whipped out a knife an cut off the A/C belt and to my surprise it was 100% gone. I drove it for another 20 minutes and let it idle for another 10 minutes and for the first time since I bought the car the noise is gone (cant feel it on the VC anymore either).

Surprised the heck out of me, the supercharger drive I'm putting on adds a spring tensioner (I cant believe Ford uses no tensioner) to the A/C so I'm curious to see if it comes back when the A/C compressor is hooked back up.

I have no idea if yours is the same noise, too bad you just cant easily pop the belt off and see real quick.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member

every buddy thinks they an engineer online. im sure 70% are beating on them hard, and i have not really read of any blown motors. its a new motor. who knows whats normal.

Hey smart guys, I'm not an astronaut either. Should I believe the moon is made of cheese?

I've been driving and working on cars enough to know what is "normal." Since I'm the customer, THAT gives me the authority to say what is normal.

And since the dealer attempted repair several times before and after I got the "normal operating characteristic" response, it's safe to say someone doesn't think these things normal, though they'd like me to go away.

And, I don't beat on this car. Never tracked it. It's a daily driver, doing about 11k miles a year. Besides, most of the problems were there from day one.

Last edited:

lsp408

Established Member
Thats what two dealers have told me, normal. But if yours is that loud I cant see how that can be normal. Post up a video..

Earlier today I warmed the car up where I could plainly hear the knock, turned it off, whipped out a knife an cut off the A/C belt and to my surprise it was 100% gone. I drove it for another 20 minutes and let it idle for another 10 minutes and for the first time since I bought the car the noise is gone (cant feel it on the VC anymore either).

Surprised the heck out of me, the supercharger drive I'm putting on adds a spring tensioner (I cant believe Ford uses no tensioner) to the A/C so I'm curious to see if it comes back when the A/C compressor is hooked back up.

I have no idea if yours is the same noise, too bad you just cant easily pop the belt off and see real quick.

Wow thi issomething new!!! The no tensioner ac belt is bs

Users who are viewing this thread