can i run catless w/o a tune?

scotmach

Established Member
Spark plug non foulers still will not turn off COT. That still can only be done in a tune. Again do it right or don't do it at all.

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
Spark plug non foulers still will not turn off COT. That still can only be done in a tune. Again do it right or don't do it at all.

You have a stubborn streak, hmm? You don't hear what you want when you ask a question and you just perseverate. Good luck, I mean that but, here's a last bit: Tuning won't necessarily void your warranty. You'll have zero issues with a reputable vendor but having to swap cats back in on this car (becauase that certainly will draw fire from the dealer) for the maybe 15-20 horse you get from pulling them doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

I put my last 5.0, a 2012 6 speed manual 3.73 Brembo car into the 11s on a warranty-safe 91 octane FRPP Procal tune and a sticky tire, at 115 mph, through the factory exhaust and airbox.

liter of cola

Established Member

your right they wont turn off the COT function.... what they will do is keep the o2 sensors reading reduced levels of o2 so the ecu will think everything is fine. so in that case no need to tune and turn off COT.

You have a stubborn streak, hmm? You don't hear what you want when you ask a question and you just perseverate. Good luck, I mean that but, here's a last bit: Tuning won't necessarily void your warranty. You'll have zero issues with a reputable vendor but having to swap cats back in on this car (becauase that certainly will draw fire from the dealer) for the maybe 15-20 horse you get from pulling them doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

I put my last 5.0, a 2012 6 speed manual 3.73 Brembo car into the 11s on a warranty-safe 91 octane FRPP Procal tune and a sticky tire, at 115 mph, through the factory exhaust and airbox.

PROCAL doesn't tune for no cats. and your warranty with procal is less than half the length of my warranty.

5lho

Established Member
your right they wont turn off the COT function.... what they will do is keep the o2 sensors reading reduced levels of o2 so the ecu will think everything is fine. so in that case no need to tune and turn off COT.

PROCAL doesn't tune for no cats. and your warranty with procal is less than half the length of my warranty.

Still perseverating.....

Well, you hope that will be the result of using non-foulers but, no guarantees.

Of course Procal doesn't tune for no cats, it's an emissions legal tune. The point I'm making is you can have an 11 sec car with the cats in. What's the obsession with no cats anyway? This isn't a 1979 Mustang, the cats aren't that big of a choke.

You are also wrong about the PC warranty. It replaced the 3 year comprehensive warranty on all driveline components with one with the same coverages from Ford racing but no other part of the warranty is affected, including the 5 year powertrain warranty standard on the car. If you spent money for further extended warranties from Ford you are likely wasting $.

5lho

Established Member
Oh and btw, the other thing with a good tune from a reputable vendor is the complete transformation of the driving exerience. The stock tune, particularly on the 11-12 cars, sucked hard. I'm in an auto now and first thing was a VMP tune on there. The '14 factory tuning was clearly better than my '12 car was but, VMP sharpened it up very noticeably, adding alot of low end torque, firmer shifting and a slightly raised rev limit. Well worth it and I have no concerns about this engine blowing up on this tune.

On my former car I pulled the plugs after three years on the Procal, included over 100 dragstrip passes on slicks and they were perfect and the car pushed 180 on all 8 cylinders under a compression test.

scotmach

Established Member
Well looks like he has all the answers I guess. Makes you wonder why he started this thread in he first place. Go ahead and run your car with no tune and the cats removed. Either way I could care less.

5lho

Established Member
Oh and, accoding to track apps, the car picked up ~3 mph at the 1/8th on VMP over the stock tune....That's mega, if it proves true at the track in the spring. That is characteristic of me with these cars though: Make the most of what I have before moving on to any other changes.

liter of cola

Established Member
Still perseverating.....

Well, you hope that will be the result of using non-foulers but, no guarantees.

Of course Procal doesn't tune for no cats, it's an emissions legal tune. The point I'm making is you can have an 11 sec car with the cats in. What's the obsession with no cats anyway? This isn't a 1979 Mustang, the cats aren't that big of a choke.

You are also wrong about the PC warranty. It replaced the 3 year comprehensive warranty on all driveline components with one with the same coverages from Ford racing but no other part of the warranty is affected, including the 5 year powertrain warranty standard on the car. If you spent money for further extended warranties from Ford you are likely wasting $.

i have a 7 year warranty and yes the procal does void any other warranties. you get a 3 year warranty if the car is new. meaning if i do the procal i will only have a 2 year warranty on my car. not worth it for me.

and like i said before im not doing it right now for the power im doing it for the sound.

Oh and btw, the other thing with a good tune from a reputable vendor is the complete transformation of the driving exerience. The stock tune, particularly on the 11-12 cars, sucked hard. I'm in an auto now and first thing was a VMP tune on there. The '14 factory tuning was clearly better than my '12 car was but, VMP sharpened it up very noticeably, adding alot of low end torque, firmer shifting and a slightly raised rev limit. Well worth it and I have no concerns about this engine blowing up on this tune.

On my former car I pulled the plugs after three years on the Procal, included over 100 dragstrip passes on slicks and they were perfect and the car pushed 180 on all 8 cylinders under a compression test.

i dont doubt how good tunes can be... just not for me right now

Well looks like he has all the answers I guess. Makes you wonder why he started this thread in he first place. Go ahead and run your car with no tune and the cats removed. Either way I could care less.

no actually i dont have all the answers... but no one who actually gave the foulers a shot is commenting so i had to do my own research. if you could care less and wanna act like a dumbass child go somewhere else.

And I just found a dude on here by the username of murse on the thread link below that's been running no cats and anti foulers for 9k miles with no codes.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?885301-Spark-plug-foulers

here's the thread murse directed the poster to for more info

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?852353-Cat-delete-pipes-and-tune-in!/page2

ight scottmach.. you enjoy me draggin deez nuts across yo pretty face? now **** off and go drive your auto stang.

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
Ok I'm done trying to prove you wrong on the PC warranty. You are wrong but, nothing I say or show you is going to convince you, that's clear.

You seem to think we are at war with you here with your stubborness and hostile responses. You've just been getting good, accurate advice and refusing to accept it. You want black and white when the world here is a shade of grey. You read like a 20 year old know-it-all punk, if i am honest.

liter of cola

Established Member
Ok I'm done trying to prove you wrong on the PC warranty. You are wrong but, nothing I say or show you is going to convince you, that's clear.

You seem to think we are at war with you here with your stubborness and hostile responses. You've just been getting good, accurate advice and refusing to accept it. You want black and white when the world here is a shade of grey. You read like a 20 year old know-it-all punk, if i am honest.

I been asking for info on running with no cats and no tune... Literally 1 out of the 26 posts on here actually helped me... The rest are a bunch a ass hats like yourself who have tunes and think its the way of god. No ones acting like a know it all... I did research on the procal cuz i was thinking about doing it at one point so shove your procal up ur ass this thread spicifically has nothing to do with tunes.

I dont want a tune

I dont need a tune

I dont care about your tune

Goodbye

nate714

Established Member
Sounds about right, mid 20's, wants the loud race car but hung up on tunes affecting warranty. I'm in the same boat lol. I picked up a bunch of "tune not required but recommended parts" bolted them on, even bought the x4 tuner, but haven't called AED yet. I was going to tune after first oil change, but I got the BBQ tick and I'm really hoping to get a new engine from ford. I also paid for the 7 yr warranty. I'm completely torn, so I feel OP's dilemma.

Liter of cola, I get your frustration, most posters (self included) have offered alternatives instead of answers, keep your cool man. Guys on this forum tend to be set on doing things the best way, no compromises. There are other forums where people have more experience with short cuts. You and I are in the minority here, keeping stock tunes is not really the SVTP way of life lol. The guys are trying to help, even if the comments sound a little loaded. This is a performance community.

Try doing it your way, and let us know how it turns out. I might follow your example if you have positive results. As long as you hold onto the cats just incase it starts throwing codes or driving poorly, I don't think going catless without tune will cause any permanent damage. Walking into the dealership without cats will probably hurt your warranty eligibility more than a tune, so just make sure you can put them back in lol.

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
I read numerous post with more than enough info to tell you not to do it. Why be hostile when you get answers you do not want to hear? Best to wait till you have the means to do it correctly or don't do it all. As said before try a resonator delete. If you do not like it, change it back and just be happy with it.

nate714

Established Member
I read numerous post with more than enough info to tell you not to do it. Why be hostile when you get answers you do not want to hear? Best to wait till you have the means to do it correctly or don't do it all. As said before try a resonator delete. If you do not like it, change it back and just be happy with it.

2nd the resonator delete. Local muffler shop offered to it for only $80, just cut and replace. I went with 3 inch H pipes and OAP without resonators for a little more, but very happy with the result. I have zero drone.

Jebadias

Established Member
Interestingly enough I have a bit of experience running headers w/ cat deletes and stock tune as well as track key tune on my Boss LS that may apply here, but with all of the “Deez Nuts” and other childish comments I think my time would be better spent moving on to a more mature thread

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Agreed. Please keep this thread civil without any more childish insults.

Back on topic if anyone wants to add anything.

liter of cola

Established Member
Interestingly enough I have a bit of experience running headers w/ cat deletes and stock tune as well as track key tune on my Boss LS that may apply here, but with all of the “Deez Nuts” and other childish comments I think my time would be better spent moving on to a more mature thread

Lol... This seams to be the demeanor of every wonderful person to come in here. So i had to get the info needed elsewere, if you dont see the hostility that was being shown towards me before i lost it and felt the need to insult someone for being blatenly ignorant, than thats an issue you need to address regarding your reading comprehension. To anyone who isnt a snob i will post my results with no cats and the use of foulers as soon as i install them and then again Once i put some miles on the setup.

Thanks for everyone on here who actually tried to help :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread